Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I searched the forums trying to find something about this but didn't find anything.

So I popped the top end on my 2013 Abarth at about 67k and recently swapped in a new engine with my mechanic. We've got the new engine in and running, but the 5-speed manual trans is all floppy and weird now. He's checked everything short of the gearbox connection at the transmission. It will still shift into gear, but there is ZERO tension on it. When you put it in neutral it just lays on its side rather than standing up. Make sense?

Does anyone have any experience with the five speed manual to know what is going on? A retention clip, spring, or something we may have missed in reassembly?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it's side to side, it likely means that the return spring is not hooked on properly. Take the shift boot off, and check the spring on the left hand side. That spring keeps the shift lever centered (left to right) even the cables are disconnected. Up/down is a different story, that's at the transmission side.
Camera lens Material property Bag Eyewear Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi friends,

I searched the forums trying to find something about this but didn't find anything.

So I popped the top end on my 2013 Abarth at about 67k and recently swapped in a new engine with my mechanic. We've got the new engine in and running, but the 5-speed manual trans is all floppy and weird now. He's checked everything short of the gearbox connection at the transmission. It will still shift into gear, but there is ZERO tension on it. When you put it in neutral it just lays on its side rather than standing up. Make sense?

Does anyone have any experience with the five speed manual to know what is going on? A retention clip, spring, or something we may have missed in reassembly?

Just to close this out, it ended up being a smallish zinc plated bracket that goes under the hood and connects to the shift linkage that centers the stick. I know that's an incredibly vague description, but I'm going off of a late night Facetime chat I had with my mechanic. It was just a piece we forgot to put back on. Thanks for your help @J.B.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts