Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Round 2 of engine trouble:

I've 2013 Fiat 500 POP with a permanent coded misfire (P0300).
I did a compression check as follows
Cyl
1. 170lbs
2. 170lbs
3. 60lbs
4. 55lbs

I dropped a little oil in cal 3 & 4 to check if it was low end of valves.
I got 110lb out of cal 3 and 80lb out of cal 2.
Not sure if that is a typical jump in pressure due to oil or if that indicates ring wear.

All of the plugs are a toast light brown. No apparent washing of plugs due to coolant.

I suspect this engine got low in oil as it was a quart low. 1 quart brought it back to top of the stick marker.
Maybe stuck or burnt valves?

Running Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5/30.

As well, what preceded this was a rattling sound from what my wife described as under the middle of the car. By the time I was able to drive it, it sounds like it is coming more from the lower front (upon acceleration under load). I don't know if the 2 are related.
Well something is loose, possibly from hitting a piece of wood on the fwy and this fabulous blown head issue, I could jump for joy!
Its a real 2 for 1 sale.

Q:
Could a blown head gasket on this particular engine cause that compression drop and yet not wash the cylinders?
No cafe latte in the oil pan btw.

I already have dropped one complete motor in this little car. :-/

Thanks guys for any knowledge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys,
New permanent codes, granted this is an OBDII wifi device with an iPhone running the Carista app.
P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354
U1404

Did I fry the computer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a leak down test kit. I just want to know if this is the head vs the low end (rings etc). What is the best way to reach the crank so I can locate TDC? This is going to be difficult to do by myself. Is there an easy way to set up a remote start switch off the relay? Anyone ever done this leak down test on a Fiat 500? Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts