Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
To complement the information from 100nx on the Fiat 500e OBD connector here is schematics of the car's connector how it connects to BCM (Body Control Module).
CAN C is high speed communication at 500 kbps and is accessible on pins 6 & 14 - this is typically direct input to diagnostic adapter (such as ELM327)
CAN B is low speed communication at 50 kbps and is accessible using using YELLOW adapter cable as pictured above which re-routes vehicle pins 1&9 to 6&14 read by diagnostic adapter.
Pins 4&5 - battery negative
Pin 16 - 12V
No other pins are populated in the connector.

Fiat 500eOBD Connector.jpg

Verified and tested adapters with Alfa OBD are supplied by electronic-fuchs.de. I use "Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Alfa Romeo / Fiat / Lancia for MultiECUScan / AlfaOBD" .

·
Registered
33 Posts
After today's' session with AlfaOBD, the ELM327 USB/BT adapter I can confirm that it works as described in previous posts by @100nx.
After selecting the device to connect to, the software tells you if you need to use yellow adapter cable or you plug in the diagnostic module directly to car port.
But I experienced some communication issue when connecting to ABS which resulted in "Service Brakes", "Service ABS" message on the dash. THis was caused solely by some data transfer interruption. Fortunatelly after repeated successful connection I could clear those faults.
So as a conclusion - if your car has no issues - DO NOT TOUCH IT and do not connect anything to car port just to try and see (as I did).
If the car has problem its worth to use this solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am totally lost with this crazy complicated thread here. I am having a similar problem. Can anyone speak to a non-mechanic on this issue? I have a 2013 500e with only 15k miles and it has been driving perfectly under normal weather and road conditions. Tonight I got in my car, which was parked in my condo's gated garage, and all of a sudden the ESC warning came on with a green image on the passenger side of the car icon. I tried to drive but the brakes were making a grinding noise so I went back home. The ESC warning remained on my screen. The timing could not be worse as I have no money and need to move in 2 weeks. Can I do something to make this drivable? I just bought this used only 5 months ago from a certified dealer. I had leased a new 500e 3 years prior and never this issue. Any advise would be helpful.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,123 Posts
I'm sorry I missed that last post, since I had what seems like the same issue once right after a really old public charger "infected" my 2013. 30-second 12v disconnect fixed it.

I later learned that 5 key cycles to black screen (not just dark grey) may also have worked, but at about 1.25 minutes/cycle that would actually have taken me longer.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts