Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a lot of issues with their 2013 models? Have a friend has same car I have year as well and no problems. I seem to be plagued with them. Routine maint. was done regularly and I'm not a person to 'ride' the clutch. Back in 2016(?) had the recall clutch spring replaced. In 2018 the VVT solenoid had to be replaced with a fight and almost complete win with FCA. Jan. 2020 shifting was rough. Find out it needed Shifter/Seal on trans assembly needed replaced after finding a trans. leak. NOW it's new clutch assembly. Does this seem to be an ongoing issue for this model year or model period?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have 2013 Sport, just about 100k miles. I've had some teething issues, as well as a few relatively major ones. FCA and the dealers have been pretty much useless from the word go, and they have been the biggest unreliability issue concerning the car. Anyway, this is exactly why individual anecdotal evidence for or against reliability is useless, especially with our cars. Fiat's quality control has proven to be pretty much hit and miss.

·
Registered
706 Posts
2013 here. Love it. Super reliable. Dealers where great whilst under warranty. Even got a loaner car or ride.
Clutch problem was people pushing too far on the clutch thus over extending the fingers on the pressure plate. The fix was to put in a stop on the pedal assembly to prevent over extension. That doesn’t stop the fatigue already applied to the pressure plate over time prior to the fix. It eventually fails depending on how abused the plate is by the unknowing driver. Once the pressure plate is replaced the issue should never come back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2013 here. Love it. Super reliable. Dealers where great whilst under warranty. Even got a loaner car or ride.
Clutch problem was people pushing too far on the clutch thus over extending the fingers on the pressure plate. The fix was to put in a stop on the pedal assembly to prevent over extension. That doesn’t stop the fatigue already applied to the pressure plate over time prior to the fix. It eventually fails depending on how abused the plate is by the unknowing driver. Once the pressure plate is replaced the issue should never come back.
Is the fix something FCA is willing to do? Or help in the correction of the result of the lack of previous pedal stop?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hit or miss. It’s about a $1400 job. There has to be broken clutch fingers first. Depends how good a negotiator you are. Obviously they will avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just about put as much as what I financed the **** thing for 7 years ago! I'll try to give it my best for sure. Mine is definitely a Fix It Again Tony vehicle. LOL

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ferrari Inspired Automotive Technology

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a 2012 Pop Automatic and it has been extremely reliable. I have just north of 150,000 trouble free miles. I change the oil every 8K and spark plugs every 50K or so. Put a few wheel bearings in and other then that it’s been perfect. Seems to go through tires quickly. I think I got lucky from what I have seen on the internet 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a 2012 Pop Automatic and it has been extremely reliable. I have just north of 150,000 trouble free miles. I change the oil every 8K and spark plugs every 50K or so. Put a few wheel bearings in and other then that it’s been perfect. Seems to go through tires quickly. I think I got lucky from what I have seen on the internet 🤷‍♂️
You should be over due for a new timing belt which in my owner's manual says 150,000 miles. Spark plugs every 30,000 miles and I change the pcv box o-ring at the same time. It would definitely help to change the "lifetime" autotrans fluid too. Rear wheel alignment issues can be corrected with shims (sometimes two).

Read your owner's manual schedule for maintenance. If you don't have one it can be downloaded for free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts