Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been having issues where my battery gets 100% charge but only ~85ish range. today, i've been trying to charge it on 2 different chargepoint chargers and it keeps stopping the charge after adding only ~11 miles. anyone know why this is?

for reference i'm in LA where it's 75 degrees today so i don't think it's weather related.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well it's only 75 today while it's been much colder the last month or so. As for the charging issue I'm not exactly sure. Are these the same chargepoint stations that you've used before on a regular basis? Do you have any timer/schedule set for charging?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,171 Posts
Charging is supposed to auto-stop when the GAUGE reads "100%" (only about 4.1V, in order to double the battery life). The mileage gauge is based on your last 10 miles of driving, so depending mostly on how fast that was, when everything is fine it could show "120 miles" or "40 miles".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,171 Posts
Also, unless you've recently used moderate HVAC, the mile gauge can show over 15% low when you first turn on A/C

Note that the highly-false-positive-prone humidity sensor (just right of the rearview) will auto-activate the A/C compressor AND deactivate recirculate, both of which can reduce range (actual AND shown). Just pop the cover straight off, use a round toothpick to unlock & remove the purple plug, & then replace the cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not really sure what you're asking?

Dashboard meter mileage calculation isn’t very accurate for number of reasons as stated above.

We go by % battery meter. If traveling 5-10 miles per 10% blocks of battery charge consumed we're pretty happy with our 2016 range in So CA.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OMT Sometimes battery packs need to balance or equalize. It's not very clear how that works with 500e but the car should be plugged into a live outlet for a long period of time every once in a while.

Level 1 120VAC OEM charger is more than enough to balance a fairly full pack. I'd leave it connected for a day or so every once in a while. Particularly, if you've only been using public charge stations for short periods of time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you driving 10 miles and then topping it off at a charger? If so thats probably not the best for the battery long term. These EV batteries like to stay in the 20 to 80% range. Doing that will help prolong the life of your battery. Its ok to top off to 100% if you're going to need the range but otherwise keep it closer to 80% or 90%. Also don't store the car at 100% for a while. Its best to use the car pretty soon after charging to 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you driving 10 miles and then topping it off at a charger? If so thats probably not the best for the battery long term. These EV batteries like to stay in the 20 to 80% range. Doing that will help prolong the life of your battery. Its ok to top off to 100% if you're going to need the range but otherwise keep it closer to 80% or 90%. Also don't store the car at 100% for a while. Its best to use the car pretty soon after charging to 100%.
thanks! that's helpful!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Enyapeoj suggested : "
Level 1 120VAC OEM charger is more than enough to balance a fairly full pack. I'd leave it connected for a day or so every once in a while. Particularly, if you've only been using public charge stations for short periods of time."

I've been keeping the charge level on my 2015 between 20-70% and rarely got to 80%. Enyapeoj, how often do you suggest a 100% charge to balance the cells (once a month or more often than that)?
Thanks

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,171 Posts
...hvac, seat heaters, etc were off..
In SoCal my 2013 A/C compressor would turn itself on (with its light off!) regardless of HVAC settings, until I unplugged the humidity sensor.

Same for both my friends with 2014 & 2016, and several other forum members. It happened a lot, because it is very highly prone to giving a false positive signal.

It might even use more power than actual A/C if it stays on the whole time instead of cycling on & off.

Seat heat only uses about as much power as headlights.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Level 1 120VAC OEM charger is more than enough to balance a fairly full pack. I'd leave it connected for a day or so every once in a while. Particularly, if you've only been using public charge stations for short periods of time."

I've been keeping the charge level on my 2015 between 20-70% and rarely got to 80%. Enyapeoj, how often do you suggest a 100% charge to balance the cells (once a month or more often than that)?
Thanks
If you drive and charge everyday, I personally would charge to 100% for balancing once a week or once every other week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. Will try that. I have a short commute to work (12 miles each way) and charge everyday just to keep it in the 20-70% charge range. I recall seeing a chart that indicated 10k+ charge cycles if charged between those levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Charging is supposed to auto-stop when the GAUGE reads "100%" (only about 4.1V, in order to double the battery life). The mileage gauge is based on your last 10 miles of driving, so depending mostly on how fast that was, when everything is fine it could show "120 miles" or "40 miles".

My experience has been when my wife drives to work going on back roads and not much over 40mi an hour, she uses no heat or ac . Her next day Range looks great. When I take the car for a week, it can be 20 miles lower based on my driving style and what speeds and roads I took the day before, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Thanks
Sorry I didn’t see your question directly to me. ‘Been using “dark” forum settings recently and fonts in your quote/question wasn’t visible. Now, I see it and completely agree with Kiesling reply.

We’re not privy to our car BMS functions but leaving it connected to an active EVSE for a day or two every couple weeks or month won’t hurt anything and it may help with pack equilibrium/balance function. Particularly folks who may never charge at home or a standalone charge point for any length of "connected" time.

I also suggest don’t get too caught up in the 80% SOC = 10k cycle life expectancy bandwagon. That can be a risky game to play if you ever cut it too close. The absolute worst thing one can ever do is pull high Amps from low SOC cells. Doing so inflicts much more chemical degradation than even sitting at 4.2V for 24-48 hours.

But sitting/resting is the bane of higher SOC. Bosch/Samsung already took care of this to a large degree by choosing 4.1v/cell top charge. We can also help knowing if the car will sit more than a couple days (vacation. holiday, travel) make sure to burn off a little charge down to around 85-90% and things will be degrading very very slowly.

But for daily use I always perform 100% charge so that there's least risk of ever drawing high Amps from low SOC cells.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I didn’t see your question directly to me. ‘Been using “dark” forum settings recently and fonts in your quote/question wasn’t visible. Now, I see it and completely agree with Kiesling reply.

We’re not privy to our car BMS functions but leaving it connected to an active EVSE for a day or two every couple weeks or month won’t hurt anything and it may help with pack equilibrium/balance function. Particularly folks who may never charge at home or a standalone charge point for any length of "connected" time.

I also suggest don’t get too caught up in the 80% SOC = 10k cycle life expectancy bandwagon. That can be a risky game to play if you ever cut it too close. The absolute worst thing one can ever do is pull high Amps from low SOC cells. Doing so inflicts much more chemical degradation than even sitting at 4.2V for 24-48 hours.

But sitting/resting is the bane of higher SOC. Bosch/Samsung already took care of this to a large degree by choosing 4.1v/cell top charge. We can also help knowing if the car will sit more than a couple days (vacation. holiday, travel) make sure to burn off a little charge down to around 85-90% and things will be degrading very very slowly.

But for daily use I always perform 100% charge so that there's least risk of ever drawing high Amps from low SOC cells.

Thanks for the wisdom and information on this. I didn't realize low SOC high current draw could be more damaging than charging to a higher level if driven frequently. I love and drive our car everyday. Where would you peg the low SOC, high current limit at? There have been a few time I've come home from longer trips at 15%. I live on a mountain and the last bit of the trip is straight up hill typically costing me 3-5% charge. Never been below 10% yet though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At least using liquid cooling, Bosch/Samsung quality BMS and seemingly modest min/max values I’m sure there’s not too much risk of cooking electrolyte in these cars.

But still, whenever I dip into lower 1/4 SOC I find myself minding the kWatt gauge and being much more gentle with my foot. However, living on a hill you gotta do what what you gotta do.

Too bad you can’t reclaim the hill energy unless you stopped charging a little early leaving enough SOC room for significant regen from the beginning of your commute.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,171 Posts
how often do you suggest a 100% charge to balance the cells (once a month or more often than that)?...I love and drive our car everyday.
I suggest getting the free AlfaOBD "demo" app & $20 OBD reader. Then you can monitor it, & go to 100 only when the imbalance gets high. For example, I balanced mine (resulting in 6mV difference between the highest & lowest cell) 9 days & several charge/discharge cycles ago, & now there's still only 7mV difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts