Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my off-lease 2016 500e in 2019 and since then have charged it with its Level I charger. Given my retired status, I have had no issues charging it overnight at the 15 amp rate. Now I want to upgrade to Level II. Since we had some electrical work on the house, we went ahead and installed 220V NEMA 14-50 in the garage. It will be hooked up to the panel this coming week. Now I need to pick a 220-240V charger for it and am looking for recommendations. We don't currently have any rebates available from our local utility.

What make and model would you recommend?

Bill

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I recommend the 240V unit that you already have.

From the outlet you're getting, with a cheap adapter or REALLY cheap DIY adapter it gives a full recharge from DEAD overnight:

· Registered
422 Posts
I bought a factory refurbished 40 Amp Juicebox and have been happy with it. Having the wifi connectivity/control is a nice feature. Gives full level 2 capability (for the 500e). It gives you a lot more options. One thing I like is with home solar (without a storage battery), you can get most of your charge without having to pull from the grid if your schedule allows you to charge at home during the day.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend the 240V unit that you already have.

From the outlet you're getting, with a cheap adapter or REALLY cheap DIY adapter it gives a full recharge from DEAD overnight:

I don't have a 240V unit. I only have the 110V "emergency" charger like that pictured here. A
Gadget Cable Electrical wiring Output device Audio equipment

· Registered
465 Posts
@EVWorldEditor That is the 240V unit that ETS is referring to. Though the unit comes with a 5-15 plug for 125V, it's a fully rated 240V unit @ 12 amps. Just needs an adapter to get 240V to it. There are numerous threads here on the process and the equipment to make that happen. I personally used mine in that mode for charging for several months.

ga2500ev

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, before you waste money on an L2 like I did you can at least try the OEM on 240V for a while, like this:
View attachment 114385
Notice "240V...charge complete in 9 hrs...", proving it's just a 12A cord:
View attachment 114386
Brilliant! Thank you. I had no idea this was possible. Where's you get the 120V to 240V (NEMA 14-50?) adapter? DIY? Doesn't look like it change the charge time much though. I am I mistaken?

· Registered
422 Posts
Brilliant! Thank you. I had no idea this was possible. Where's you get the 120V to 240V (NEMA 14-50?) adapter? DIY? Doesn't look like it change the charge time much though. I am I mistaken?
It cuts the charge time in half. Full level two cuts that time in half again (a bit more than half). Full level two lets you charge from completely dead in 4 hours.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Ya, full L2 is only needed if you have to get up & drive a hundred miles after only 4 hours of sleep. EDIT: Or if you're sharing the car - My friend uses L2 to top off between when she gets back from work & when her hubby takes it to his night shift.

Doesn't look like it change the charge time much though. I am I mistaken?
Yes, you are mistaken. It is "as advertized" in the link I sent above, charging almost exactly twice as fast. Notice my pic's 9.5 hours to fully charge from only 14%, which would take about 19 hours on 120V.

It's one of the best-kept secrets of EVs :rolleyes:. It's right up there with the fact that they all recharge an average daily drive from just an extension cord in a standard wall outlet during only 8 hours of sleep OR work (double the avg drive if you can charge at both locations).

Here's another copy of the link to the details:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
465 Posts
Looks like this is what I need? $17 on Amazon.

That's a hard no. That one converts the 240V input into a 120V output, defeating the purpose. Generally the adapter is a two parter. The first part take a 50 amp 240V and outputs a 20 amp 240V:

The "magic adapter" is called a grow light adapter. Often lights for growing plants can run on 120V or 240V. So, this adapter offers 240V on a 5-20 socket typically used for 120V:

The key is that the second adapter doesn't change the voltage. So you get 240V on the 5-15 socket.

ga2500ev

View attachment 114387

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Or just this little $20 one-piece unit:
Product Blue Gas Electric blue Font

It's available for 14-50 or 6-50 or 10-30 or L14-30 outlets.

The thread I linked above already included it, but here it is again:

It says "240V 15 Amp 20 Amp 3 Prong Female Receptacle", so if it didn't work you could return it due to "not as described".

Click the link below to see it on Amazon or just enter "14-50p* to 5-15r" in Amazon's search field:
Double-Speed Charging for $20

* or 6-50p or 10-30p or L14-30p, if that's the outlet you have.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh! So, I need the 2nd two: The 14-50 and the 120V standard plug adapter?

Would it be nice to have something similar where it's a typical household 3-prone facing out and the 14-50 facing in? Plug it into the 240V plugin and the 120V plug into it?

Thanks for much for the heads up!!!!

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Yes.

You should be exactly as (un)concerned as when you plug your sub-5-amp phone charger into a standard 20 amp circuit.

Just as (un)concerned as when you put an 18 Watt LED bulb in a 100W socket.

The devices are self-limiting.

As proof, here's my 12 amp OEM cord again, clearly working fine with all 4 LEDs lit, clearly plugged into a 50 amp 240 outlet. Click to enlarge:
Automotive design Gas Gadget Kitchen appliance Home appliance

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
It's much cheaper to manufacture only 1 device to work on the whole planet (where 240 is mostly standard) & just put a 120 plug on it for USA.

To save manufacturing costs, nearly all chargers are made to accept up to 240V since that's standard on most of the Earth. Check every charger in your own home. 240V is okay for ALL my phone chargers, laptop, tablet, & even my toothbrush! Also notice that unlike many chargers, the Fiat's "120V" is NOT engraved or even printed on it. It's just a sticker! Click to enlarge:
Font Rectangle Electric blue Event Electronics accessory

· Registered
6 Posts
Yes.

You should be exactly as (un)concerned as when you plug your sub-5-amp phone charger into a standard 20 amp circuit.

Just as (un)concerned as when you put an 18 Watt LED bulb in a 100W socket.

The devices are self-limiting.

As proof, here's my 12 amp OEM cord again, clearly working fine with all 4 LEDs lit, clearly plugged into a 50 amp 240 outlet. Click to enlarge:
View attachment 114407
Thanks. Learning a lot... may have covered EVs for 25 years but this old dog an learn new tricks! :)

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I have to admit I was skeptical until I actually had it plugged in for half an hour checking to make sure it was okay. Apparently heat is proportional to the amps of current, not the voltage, & it only draws 12A at either voltage so the heat is the same.

I also have to admit that I'm still learning a lot too. Here are some of the highlights, all from after learning about the 240V hack:
  • I learned that I could save a lot of money & weight with a much smaller 12V battery.
  • Then barely over a year ago I learned from @MDMTahiti that there's a rare glitch that appears to be HV battery failure but is fixed by a dozen taps on a $49 phone app connected to a $17 OBD dongle.
  • More recently I learned why people were afraid to unplug the HV fuse under the back seat, & @jedwards1654 provided the simple trick to make it work.
  • & embarrassingly even more recent, I learned that I get better range at 55mph on the freeway than at 20mph average stop-&-go city! That's in mild weather. Cold, dense air will lower the freeway break-even speed.
  • & then just a few days ago I learned from @bolomiester that some charge issues are fixed by holding down the button on the plug until it's all the way in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts