Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post after buying a 2016 500x L and want to upgrade the speakers and possibly put a sub in it. I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions that’ll help me make the best choices for available options, so thanks in advance...

Speakers??? Which ones will give me the best quality?

Do I need to replace the head unit if I want to put a good system in it? I lie what’s already there but the sound is just not as good as I feel it could be.

Can I put an amp for the speakers AND sub woofer using the same stock headunit?

This is a start, but I’m sure as the answers some I will have more questions. Thank you so much for your time. 🙏🏻

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would suggest you go to your local auto stereo store and see if they have speakers installed in a car. Mine did and it steered me away from my original speaker choice. You can get an idea in the show room, but they'll sound different when in a vehicle. You can check Crutchfield to make sure prices are fair, but I found my stereo store had the same prices. Crutchfield simply has a bigger selection of products.

For my 2018 500, I found you can go with most any speaker in the $100 (a pair) range, and try to stick with a 2 ohm, around 40 to 50W. Crutchfield had my speakers rated at 4 ohms, but bypassing the resistors allowed me to wire as 2 ohms. Differences are mostly a matter of what sounds good to you. Yes, you can spend triple that money on speakers, but unless you are looking for a $3K+ system, it's overkill. The factory speakers are $30 Chinese... like most factory units. Done right, the $100 speaks work well w/ the factory amp, but give room for improvement if not satisfied. (Car stereos can be a never ending money pit, as in my $5000 (new) car with a $1800 stereo installed, back in 1990.)

Then pick up some foam acoustic foam baffles and some Noico sound deadening (see the links). The acoustic baffle encloses the speakers and minimizes interference from outside road noise. The sound deadening can be used to replace the factory "sheet" that is currently behind the door panel, minimizing outside noise, and further improved sound quality. It makes the door work as a stereo cabinet and gives the door a satisfactory 'thump" when closed. There's also a foam ring on the face of the factory speaker that seals the speaker with the door panel grille. Try to retain that, or replace with similar.

Done at home, it'll cost around $260 to $280, maybe another $300 to have it installed. Without other changes, bass was improved and I could understand radio talk at half the volume. I think you'll be pleased... and it leaves you open to installing a matching amp and/or woofers, if you want to rattle the windows. I did the amp... and at 50% power too loud to hear music, just a rock concert noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B012B5EMGO/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2ZDDVY8RX1YFC&keywords=noico+80+mil+sound+deadener&qid=1578641770&s=automotive&sprefix=noico+80+mil+,automotive,206&sr=1-6

1 - 2 of 2 Posts