Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Fiat 500 X will not start. For the past few days I had trouble starting it. It would act like it was turning over but I would have to hit start several times before it would start. Today though it will not start at all. I had to leave it at the airport and get a ride home. I can't afford to get it towed so I need some ideas as to what it might be so I can go talk to someone at my Fiat dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

Unfortunately there a few too many variables with all the controls involved. Three likely problems spring to mind.

The most likely problem is the ignition switch. It may be giving power to the starter but not the ignition coils.

There is the neutral safety switch. This is only if you have an automatic. You can test this by wiggling the shifter around (still in neutral) while attempting to start. I was under the impression that it would not even crank if not in neutral so this may be less likely.

I have had issues in the past (not a fiat) with the crank position sensor. I've seen this with an Audi and a Kia. The good news is that it eventually gives an engine code. It may not trigger the light though so you'll have to use a code reader.
In both of my cases, the car would start and run when it's been sitting for a while but when you make a quick stop and then try to start it shortly after stopping, it
would crank but not start. Wait 15 minutes and it would start. The symptoms may vary.

·
Registered
666 Posts
For towing, check you insurance. I didn't know I had towing insurance on my car, until it broke down 40 miles outside of town. Is your car still under warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For towing, check you insurance. I didn't know I had towing insurance on my car, until it broke down 40 miles outside of town. Is your car still under warranty?
I just passed the 50,000 mark so unfortunately its no longer under warranty. I just got back from the Fiat dealership and was told it sounded like the battery is bad. So I plan on taking the battery out and having it tested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Huh. Seems odd that it would crank fine if the battery was dead. Does it sound like it's turning over slow? Either way, having the battery tested will certainly tell. Might have to remove it to have it tested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts