Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 fiat 500e from a 2ed owner but i didnt ask if the lithium-ion batteries still had warranty or any kind of warranty. I heard that its transferable but the 2ed owner didnt get those paper from the first owner. Im scared that the would battery die out i would have to pay like 5-7k to get it replaced and i dont have that kind of money after buying the car. Does this car still have warranty and if not how can i buy one
Can i check if it has any kind of warranty and if my state can offer a such service? It has 42k miles on it. It runs perfect right now Im worried that once it hit 50k issues gonna pop up.

I live in Phoenix Arizona
vin 3C3CFFGE1GT201519

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,736 Posts
I just checked your VIN at Mopar.com & it has all the recalls complete, including the critical U69*, so 20% of your post-purchase prep is already done:

* Click to enlarge:
Font Rectangle Operating system Screenshot Software

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,736 Posts
I haven't seen any extended warranties that are available after the 4-year factory one expires, but if you really want to cover everything that's even remotely likely to happen, you could:
  1. Leave the humidity sensor unplugged.
  2. Get a $26 BM2.
  3. Leave pliers in the car (or better yet, a Crescent wrench).
  4. Get the AlfaOBD app: Free "demo" version*, or $50 lifetime-membership**
  5. Get either 1 of these:
    • $30 Konnwei KW902 that will fix the contactor glitch & everything else we seem to have needed so far
    • $140 OBDLink MX+ that's officially approved by AlfaOBD & will do everything including saving seemingly-unnecessary full diagnostic log records.

* To check for any extremely unlikely lithium-ion damage
** To clear the extremely rare contactor glitch

· Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2016 fiat 500e from a 2ed owner but i didnt ask if the lithium-ion batteries still had warranty or any kind of warranty. I heard that its transferable but the 2ed owner didnt get those paper from the first owner. Im scared that the would battery die out i would have to pay like 5-7k to get it replaced and i dont have that kind of money after buying the car. Does this car still have warranty and if not how can i buy one
Can i check if it has any kind of warranty and if my state can offer a such service? It has 42k miles on it. It runs perfect right now Im worried that once it hit 50k issues gonna pop up.

I live in Phoenix Arizona
vin 3C3CFFGE1GT201519
Fiat of Glendale just replaced HV-battery-pack on my 2015. They had to call Fiat-corporate to get approval first.
This was after they diagnosed dead-PIM and replaced it (under the extended warranty I purchased when buying the car from South Coast Mitsubishi in 2020).
I printed the whole thread that @Electric Tire Shredder put together and gave it to them, but they insisted on PIM replacement... oh well.
I ended up paying $386 for diagnostic fees and 12v battery replacement.
The 12v battery went dead was the trigger that brought Mr. Turtle to the dashboard.

· Registered
222 Posts
Even though the battery pack is technically under warranty, the rest of the car and its electronics are not. Other owners are reporting Fiat will wiggle their way out from replacing a battery by saying that the PIM is bad and it is on the owner’s dime to replace the PIM, which is hugely expensive. EV components for this car are hard to come by and are obscenely expensive,

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,736 Posts
Fiat of Glendale just replaced HV-battery-pack...after they diagnosed dead-PIM... The 12v battery went dead was the trigger...
If your 12v battery goes dead & triggers HV or PIM codes, they're almost certainly false.

I'm glad it only cost @eR4uL500e $386, but for others, without extended warranty, here's an example of how a "dead-PIM" & "EV Battery Failure" were fixed for $30 on Sept 13th. This is far from an isolated case. We learned these tricks from many other users with false alarms:

@jedwards1654 12v battery went dead but even with a new one the car still wouldn't start, showing PIM codes P0A8D and P0607. Click to enlarge:
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Technology

Those are the exact same 2 codes Fiat uses as so-called "proof" that you need to pay them $6k for a new PIM:
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

However after leaving the humidity sensor unplugged, both codes cleared with a $30 Konnwei KW902 & free AlfaOBD "demo" app, and the car has been fine ever since.

It also showed the P1E25 code Fiat uses as so-called "proof" that you need a new HV pack, which is why you need to pay them $6k for a PIM first:
Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

It "wouldn't clear" but the car drove fine with that code, as does mine. Then @jedwards1654 tried clearing again, this time noticing onscreen fine-print requiring specific key positions, & it cleared.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel Steering wheel

In between the sensor-unplug & the code clearing, the HV was unplugged, which had no apparent effect at the time but it may have been necessary for the codes to clear later:
Food Gesture Screenshot Terrestrial plant Font

· Registered
21 Posts
Fiat of Glendale just replaced HV-battery-pack on my 2015. They had to call Fiat-corporate to get approval first.
This was after they diagnosed dead-PIM and replaced it (under the extended warranty I purchased when buying the car from South Coast Mitsubishi in 2020).
I printed the whole thread that @Electric Tire Shredder put together and gave it to them, but they insisted on PIM replacement... oh well.
I ended up paying $386 for diagnostic fees and 12v battery replacement.
The 12v battery went dead was the trigger that brought Mr. Turtle to the dashboard.
IDK if the dealerships just don't know better or are intentionally taking advantage, but thank goodness you had your extended warranty and for not too much you now have a "like new" car. Enjoy!

· Registered
5 Posts
If you're worried about service cost, you can buy the extended warranty from MOPAR. I did this after a big service bill. It cost me around $3,000 and since i plan to keep the car for a long time I figured it was worth it. Already had to use it once. They will send a technician to look over your car and take it for a test drive before they agree to sell you the warranty. The warranty can be paid monthly which is also what I did, the bill is $100 bucks a month. This extended warranty is honored at any Fiat/Chrysler dealership/service center.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts