Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road next to my house and the following stuff happened...

I was driving 20-25mph when the engine lost power and just went dead on me.
The speedometer showed 0 mph immediately after the engine stopped running.
Powersteering was not working (I assume because the engine stopped running).
All of the electronics inside and outside of the car continued to work normally (radio, lights, and A/C...).
I let the car coast to the end of the street. Placed the car in Park, then attempted to start the car again (the car has push-button start).
The engine did not start and only made a clicking noise like it was attempting to start.
After a couple of attempts, there was a burnt electrical smell, then a little poof of smoke came from under the hood near the front driver's side area where the battery is located.
After just looking around the engine, nothing appeared to be burnt and the burnt electrical smell was only noticeable from the front driver's side area near the battery.
I can still turn the car on and the lights, A/C, radio still work normally. I can put the car in any gear and the parking brake is working normally too.
Other than the poof of smoke and the burnt electrical smell, I did notice the ground wire coming off the negative battery terminal was a kind of hot.

I am definitely having a mechanic look at it this weekend, but before that, I figured I would reach out and see if anyone had a clue as to what was going on (after my mechanic diagnoses the actual issue, I will try to update my post with more information on what happened, what caused it, and information about the repair).

Thank you for your time and assistance.
(Friday, 20th Sept. 2019)

·
Registered
976 Posts
It sounds like you need to start by having the battery load tested and pull the battery tray to check the connections underneath... just as a starting point. It sounds like something may have come loose and shorted out. I'm surprised the main fuse didn't blow.

I'd probably pull the battery cables, just in case. Occasionally a short can cause a fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving down the road next to my house and the following stuff happened...

I was driving 20-25mph when the engine lost power and just went dead on me.
The speedometer showed 0 mph immediately after the engine stopped running.
Powersteering was not working (I assume because the engine stopped running).
All of the electronics inside and outside of the car continued to work normally (radio, lights, and A/C...).
I let the car coast to the end of the street. Placed the car in Park, then attempted to start the car again (the car has push-button start).
The engine did not start and only made a clicking noise like it was attempting to start.
After a couple of attempts, there was a burnt electrical smell, then a little poof of smoke came from under the hood near the front driver's side area where the battery is located.
After just looking around the engine, nothing appeared to be burnt and the burnt electrical smell was only noticeable from the front driver's side area near the battery.
I can still turn the car on and the lights, A/C, radio still work normally. I can put the car in any gear and the parking brake is working normally too.
Other than the poof of smoke and the burnt electrical smell, I did notice the ground wire coming off the negative battery terminal was a kind of hot.

I am definitely having a mechanic look at it this weekend, but before that, I figured I would reach out and see if anyone had a clue as to what was going on (after my mechanic diagnoses the actual issue, I will try to update my post with more information on what happened, what caused it, and information about the repair).

Thank you for your time and assistance.
(Friday, 20th Sept. 2019)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.