Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 500x Trekking Plus. About 4 months ago we were told about 2 recalls - one for a fan motor, the other for an excessive oil consumption. The fan motor was replaced as it was in stock. After the fan motor was replaced the "service brake control" message started popping up randomly, usually when one of the directionals was on. Then "blind spot monitoring temporarily unavailable" message would should up - again randomly. We took it back to service after finding out the engine failed the consumption test and qualified for a new one. The tech checked the error codes and decided the problem was the BCM. After it was replaced, the messages still occurred, we brought it back to service and were told the BCM needed an update. The messages still popped up but not as often. This time the tech decided the BCM must be defective and replaced it again. Unfortunately the error messages continue to pop up, seemingly at will. Has anyone else had these issues and if so is there a solution?

· Registered
33 Posts
I do get the blind spot monitoring alert sometimes, though it goes away after a few seconds and the blind spot system seems to work just fine. Come to think of it, I seem to get several messages like that all at once, including the audio system, backup warning and something else I'm forgetting. But all systems work when needed. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad ground. Errant voltage makes vehicle electrical systems act crazy. Another possibility is that the BCM and/or ECU are attempting to check the system status before those systems have had a chance to initialize. It's pretty common for OEMs to cheap out on processing power whenever possible, so maybe there's just a delay in startup time. I know that's not very helpful, but if your system ultimately works and it's just an annoyance, at least this might help give you peace of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts