Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am having the 14-50 outlet installed on Wednesday and will use the stock charger with an adapted and get the ChargePoint Home Flex in a couple weeks

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Ya, 10 hours would probably barely be enough to fully recharge on 120V. It takes less time to charge when you use a few efficiency tricks like unplugging the humidity sensor, & judicious use of recirculate. There are more tricks here.

For ONLY the use you described, no ChargePoint is needed. The stock unit on 240V will fully recharge 44 miles in about 4.5 hours.

40 degrees is fine, as is 103 (better than 1.03!).

·
Registered
44 Posts
That should be fine, especially if it's not super-cold, extremely hot, &/or with a bunch of sub-7mph braking on the slower part. In fact, it would likely fully recharge on 120V at home (1 hour dinner + 8 hours sleep + 1 hour breakfast)
If you plug it in at 9:00pm when the rates go down, and unplug at 7:00am as you make your way to the salt mines, that would give you 10 hours at 110V and 60-70 miles for the day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too thought I would need a level 2 setup, but under the advice of the experienced forum members I installed a 40A 240V outlet in my shop and use the stock Fiat charger with an adapter plug for less than $40. My commute is 62 miles round trip. I usually make it back home with 22-30% depending on driving style and/or use of AC. It takes about 6-7 hours to charge to 100%.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
He claims to not have a 240 plug yet I’m just giving an example what I’ve used to adapt from the 240 to 120 socket so he can use the fiat original charger. And since he does not have a 240 if he’s getting one installed I was suggesting him to get the more popular 14-50. But if you want to see the exact model that I bought for my specific application here it is.
View attachment 108779
Just so you know, the picture you are showing above is a PLIS NEMA 14-50P With Handle to 6-50R 125/250V 50 Amp 1.5FT Welder Welding Dryer EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Adaptor Connector Connecter. It is not a NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 5-15R. A person usually needs to build their own or buy from a small specialty shop.
Ok so I have to only use a NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 5-15R adapter?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
This is what you need be careful as 5-15 come in several varieties. The 5-15 you need is with the taller left prong as pictured. Some adapters have the taller prong on the opposite side.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
Alternatively you can make your own from Lowe’s or Home Depot parts. They carry those ends and cables you can put your own together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks, but 240V shouldn't even be needed for just 44 miles of daily use, since that recharges in about 7.5 hours on 110V.
I am getting the 14-50 receptacle in garage anyway, it has a second use that I need occasionally, plus I want the option if I went more miles, starting to understand, p/u car in a week. We also may get a second EV in near future probably a PHEV

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am getting the 14-50 receptacle in garage anyway, it has a second use that I need occasionally, plus I want the option if I went more miles, starting to understand, p/u car in a week. We also may get a second EV in near future probably a PHEV
The 14-50 offers a lot of flexibility. I would certainly start with the adapter for the OEM EVSE, simply because it doubles charging speed from the 14-50 for a minimal investment.

There's nothing wrong with a faster charging EVSE. I just caution novices that they are not a strict requirement for EV ownership which I think many believe. The other options simply give breathing room to make intelligent decisions. My personal example was that waiting allowed me to get a used Bosch 30A EVSE from a Tesla Model X owner in a moving sale for under $200. It's still not permanently mounted as I use my OEM EVSE on the daily. But I did set up an extension from the dryer outlet so that I can charge quickly on the rare days that I actually need a faster charge during the day.

It's just trying to find a balance between investing significant money for that 1 or 2% usage scenario.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The 14-50 offers a lot of flexibility. I would certainly start with the adapter for the OEM EVSE, simply because it doubles charging speed from the 14-50 for a minimal investment.

There's nothing wrong with a faster charging EVSE. I just caution novices that they are not a strict requirement for EV ownership which I think many believe. The other options simply give breathing room to make intelligent decisions. My personal example was that waiting allowed me to get a used Bosch 30A EVSE from a Tesla Model X owner in a moving sale for under $200. It's still not permanently mounted as I use my OEM EVSE on the daily. But I did set up an extension from the dryer outlet so that I can charge quickly on the rare days that I actually need a faster charge during the day.

It's just trying to find a balance between investing significant money for that 1 or 2% usage scenario.

ga2500ev
Great answer, yes I have had a lot of what I thought I knew, the main cost is labor, where its a 30A or 50A, so I thought I would do the 50A the 14-50 receptacle, so it doesnt matter the breaker size as long as the adapter goes from the 14-50 to 5-15? We have a newer home and the laundry room (dryer) in or even close to the garage.

I am waiting on buying the faster charger, though the 30% off tax incentive on charger and installation (I know it comes off when I file), makes me want to get the ChargePoint Flex. Plus I have friends that have Tesla's that could come over and charge.

I have learned so much, what is the OEM adapter or where would I buy that?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great answer, yes I have had a lot of what I thought I knew, the main cost is labor, where its a 30A or 50A, so I thought I would do the 50A the 14-50 receptacle, so it doesnt matter the breaker size as long as the adapter goes from the 14-50 to 5-15? We have a newer home and the laundry room (dryer) in or even close to the garage.
The breaker is designed to protect the wiring in the wall. With a 14-50 it'll be 6 gauge wire. It'll be fine.
I am waiting on buying the faster charger, though the 30% off tax incentive on charger and installation (I know it comes off when I file), makes me want to get the ChargePoint Flex. Plus I have friends that have Tesla's that could come over and charge.
Like I said any reasoned decision is fine. I just worry that a lot of new folks make kneejerk decisions out of fear.

I have learned so much, what is the OEM adapter or where would I buy that?
The OEM EVSE is an international device that accepts both 120V and 240V. But in the US they all come with 120V 5-15 plugs. The purpose of the adapter is to deliver 240V to the two power prongs of the 5-15 thus doubling the available power.

There are a couple of commercial products. One is called the My240. It's a two part adapter system so that you can plug into many different types of sockets. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Another option is this this ParkWorld Adapter. It serves the need in a single unit. A bit pricey though.

Honestly though DIY is pretty easy. All it takes is a short heavy duty extension cord and a 14-15 plug from a big box hardware store. The Parkworld page shows images of both the plug and the 5-15 socket, labeled with their electrical function (X,Y are power, G is Ground, N is Neutral). The Neutral is not used by the EVSE. Just wire the grounds together and the two hots (X,Y) from the 14-50 plug to the typically labeled black and white wires on the 5-15 socket. This carcharging adapter page talks about the process in detail and shows an image of the finished product. Shouldn't cost more than $25 or so and take less than an hour to put together as long as you have some wire cutters/strippers.

Hope this helps,

ga2500ev

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I noticed that I got one from EV Doctor, building one not viable, going out in public is too dangerous in FL, the Covid is out of control we are buying everything online

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lowe’s and Home Depot offer both those. Had I known I would of made my own hence why I’m passing the knowledge I learned to save a few bucks of you don’t mind a lil legwork.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my setup at HD. Think it was under $50 for the outlet, SO cord and plugs. Already had some left over wire for the circuit and just tapped off a 40amp range/oven circuit in my shop.

My stock EVSE plug end still gets hot though. Just out of curiosity I did a load read on 120v and it was 13.3 amps.

240v adapter cord it read 10.5 amps on each phase.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts