Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
2 OEM Fiat EVSEs would be okay on a single circuit.
Except that the latest NEC has defined an EVSE as a dedicated appliance, even when it's a plug in. So if you put in a permit asking for a 2 outlet circuit for EVSEs, it'll be rejected. However a 2 outlet circuit for power tools would be fine.

I don't pretend to actually understand the motivation. But that's how it's written.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
497 Posts
Except that the latest NEC has defined an EVSE as a dedicated appliance, even when it's a plug in. So if you put in a permit asking for a 2 outlet circuit for EVSEs, it'll be rejected. However a 2 outlet circuit for power tools would be fine.

I don't pretend to actually understand the motivation. But that's how it's written.

ga2500ev
Still doesn’t prevent people from doing this lol

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,961 Posts
So if you have a Fiat & an eGolf, it's fine to to install one 240V circuit & breaker, with two 14-50 outlets, one on each side of your garage "for a welder", & then plug both cars' OEM EVSEs in at once, right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
So if you have a Fiat & an eGolf, it's fine to to install one 240V circuit & breaker, with two 14-50 outlets, one on each side of your garage "for a welder", & then plug both cars' OEM EVSEs in at once, right?
That is my understanding. But there is an interesting catch-22 in terms of GFCI:

GFCI protection devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)]. However, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. GFCI protection is not required for receptacles that are not readily accessible, such as a ceiling-mounted receptacle for a garage door opener. Nor are they required for a receptacle on a dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a refrigerator or freezer.
From this 2017 EC&M article. A quick look shows that the 2020 version extends this to 240V circuits too. So, one gets stuck with one of three choices: A single dedicated outlet with no GFCI, wall mounted shared branch circuit with GFCI, or ceiling mounted shared receptacles with no GFCI.

The problem with GFCI with EVSEs is that the 20 mA GFCI detection in the EVSE causes a current leak that triggers the 5 mA GFCI detector in the breaker box.

Sometimes it's like trying to solve a Chinese finger puzzle.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,961 Posts
I've successfully used at least 4 different GFI outlets that I can recall at the moment, & all worked fine, when dry. Maybe they're less sensitive than GFCI breakers.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
497 Posts
I think I found a solution to my problems between dryer and my level 2 charger....I can have both plugged into at the same time and this lil gadgets modulates between the 2 making sure it doesn’t pull more then the max 30 amp current even if both are running at the same time. Neat! They make them in different interfaces and plugs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think I found a solution to my problems between dryer and my level 2 charger....I can have both plugged into at the same time and this lil gadgets modulates between the 2 making sure it doesn’t pull more then the max 30 amp current even if both are running at the same time. Neat! They make them in different interfaces and plugs. View attachment 108811
View attachment 108812 View attachment 108813
Dryer Buddies don't modulate the current. It's simply a switch. Plug the dryer into the primary socket and the EVSE into the secondary. If the primary is drawing no current, then the secondary is switched in. However, if someone turns the dryer on while the car is charging, then the EVSE plugged into the secondary is switched off.

I thought about building one. But my need for 240V charging is so rare, I decided to just switch the cables by hand. Slightly annoying. But the Dryer Buddy is a $200 investment. So, I can be slightly annoyed and keep those dollars in my pocket.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
497 Posts
This is exactly conceptually the same as my idea and supposedly not legal heh, the more expensive Neocharger does the same exact thing. Maybe I will just make my own.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
5 Posts
He claims to not have a 240 plug yet I’m just giving an example what I’ve used to adapt from the 240 to 120 socket so he can use the fiat original charger. And since he does not have a 240 if he’s getting one installed I was suggesting him to get the more popular 14-50. But if you want to see the exact model that I bought for my specific application here it is.
View attachment 108779
My son built one just like that and it works great with our dryer outlet - once we got past the 311 error at the charger box. The intermittent 311 error wouldn't go away until we replaced the power source plug (not car end) on our charger with a new 3 prong plug. The old plug had a blade with an 'S' bend in it like somebody had smashed it and tried to straighten it. Cost $6.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts