Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19' Abarth 500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I purchased a 19' Abarth 500 a few months ago at 9000 miles. The car has now just under 12k miles and it has been a blast to drive, until today. I was taking a commute ride, and the check engine light came on all of the sudden. Checked the gas cap and it was good. Car is still under factory warranty, of course.

The thing is the closest Fiat service center is 30 miles away and I would rather check a few of the "easier" things first before I take it to service (Which would require me to get a rental or something).

Two days ago, when I started the car and was driving off my driveway, the check engine light came on along with the ESC light. I also had a hillstart icon in the middle of the screen, and the wheel got really stiff. It felt like the powered steering just died. I had to pull over and re-start the car. After that everything was great again. Guessed it was just a little error that one time.

Now that the engine light came on permanently, it has me worried that the car actually has something going on (After all, that's what the light means right? lol).

Recently I have been feeling like the car has a lot more turbo lag, and it doesn't feel as "swifty" as before. Maybe a turbo leak? Any way to check if I have one? Maybe the dealer that sold me the car did an oil change and left something loose? Other than that the car feels good. No weird noises, no delays starting it up, no knocks or any other issues whatsoever.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! First Fiat I own (Well, second after a Fiat 850 Spider) so I am not very well versed on how these mopar cars work or think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
welcome to the forum. If your getting a engine check light. You might get a code reader, plug it in. See what engine codes the car, is giving you. Since you car is under the factory warranty still. It would be a good idea, to have the dealership take a look. You really shouldn’t drive a car with a engine light on permanently. Call up Fiat Care, they will
arrange free, to you have your car towed to the nearest Fiat dealership.

·
Registered
19' Abarth 500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the forum. If your getting a engine check light. You might get a code reader, plug it in. See what engine codes the car, is giving you. Since you car is under the factory warranty still. It would be a good idea, to have the dealership take a look. You really shouldn’t drive a car with a engine light on permanently. Call up Fiat Care, they will
arrange free, to you have your car towed to the nearest Fiat dealership.

View attachment 109966
Thanks for your reply! The light went away next day of posting this, nonetheless I bought a bluetooth scanner and it reads "Error Code P2098: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean". The light has not come back, but it does show that on the scanner.
Is this something important that I need to take care of ASAP? Pretty sure it could be just the sensor which is a quick an easy replacement. For a car with 12000 miles I should not have any bad issues, hopefully.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for your reply! The light went away next day of posting this, nonetheless I bought a bluetooth scanner and it reads "Error Code P2098: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean". The light has not come back, but it does show that on the scanner.
Is this something important that I need to take care of ASAP? Pretty sure it could be just the sensor which is a quick an easy replacement. For a car with 12000 miles I should not have any bad issues, hopefully.
Congratulations on buying a scanner. Every car owner should have one even if they don't know a thing about working on cars. With access to the Internet, it's easy enough to read the codes and find out what they mean. Then the owner can either DIY or go to a mechanic.

Depending on your scanner, you may be able to read the signal and perhaps get a reference of what a normal range of voltages is. It's worth looking into anyway. If the check engine light and is out, especially if the output from the sensor is in the normal range, then keep driving. If the check engine light illuminates again, hook up your scanner and if the Error Code is P2098, you have a clue (but not proof) that it's the sensor. I haven't checked either the price or how easy it is to replace, but generally speaking these parts don't cost too much and are serviceable without too much trouble. If you're handy, I'd certainly give it a go. And I wouldn't wait too long to fix any kind of persistent fault, especially one having to do with the fuel/air ratio.

On the other hand, it might be a one time fault which wont return. Although Lucas (the British company) invented the intermittent windshield wiper, it was Magneti Marelli who invented the feature where an multi cylinder engine would run on half the cylinders. Of course, sometimes it wouldn't run at all. Your car is Italian and if you forget that fact, the car will most likely remind you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts