Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

first time 500 owner here, based in Europe. Just taken delivery of a new 500 electric 42Kwh and would like/need to switch off the horn acknowledgement when I lock the car ... it's impressively loud for the size of the car! 馃槵 I've looked through the owner manual and can't see anything ... and no obvious settings in the car menus, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Also, does anyone else wonder what the point is of using high regen when reversing? I have to switch from Range to Normal whenever I need to reverse otherwise when I lift off, the car just stops :rolleyes: It's not a major thing, but it IS a niggle when trying to manoeuvre gently and seems unnecessary to me.

Registered
Your lucky, being able to own the new 2021 500e. Beautiful car. It sad, Fiat USA, isn鈥檛 offering it here, or any type of 500.

Registered
I have a 2015 Abarth and the horn beep on locking was driving me mad. My research showed that it can't be disabled so I installed a set of air horns, the ones with the coke can sized electric compressor. The beep function is still there, but the signal is of very short duration and the compressor doesn't have time to build up enough pressure to honk the horns; therefore, no noise when I lock the car.
That is not an elegant solution, but it does work and the horns sound much better.

Registered
I have a 2015 Abarth and the horn beep on locking was driving me mad. My research showed that it can't be disabled so I installed a set of air horns, the ones with the coke can sized electric compressor. The beep function is still there, but the signal is of very short duration and the compressor doesn't have time to build up enough pressure to honk the horns; therefore, no noise when I lock the car.
That is not an elegant solution, but it does work and the horns sound much better.
A 2015 Abarth, is a Completely different car than a brand new 2021 500e. They have nothing in common. There isn鈥檛 any research on that vehicle yet. I think the Op should to review he鈥檚 owners manual.

Registered
A 2015 Abarth, is a Completely different car than a brand new 2021 500e. They have nothing in common. There isn鈥檛 any research on that vehicle yet. I think the Op should to review he鈥檚 owners manual.
My intent is not to be argumentative, something all too common on the Internet. But I would disagree that the 2021 500e is completely different compared with a 2015 500 Abarth. Actually the OP's car and mine have a great deal in common. His car has a great deal in common with a 1957 Chevy as well. Not the power-plant of course, but in many other areas. His car was not designed and built by space aliens or the French :eek:, so how different could it be from any other car, drive system notwithstanding?

Your advice to RTFM (consult the owners documentation) is generally a good answer to many mysteries associated with automobiles and micro wave ovens too. However, the OP says he has already consulted the owners manual. Perhaps the beep-on-lock function can be disabled on his car either by a menu option he missed or by a selection on a diagnostic tool operated by a skilled technicion. That's for him to research. But I would bet dollars-to-donuts that his factory horn is quite similar (if not identical) to the factory horn on my 2015 Abarth as well as the one on my Honda Element, Porsche Cayman and my Porsche Panamera. A few years ago I converted my Ferrari 360 Modena to pneumatic horns and it too was functionally identical to the one I recently converted on my Fiat Abarth. This kind of stuff is not rocket surgery. On my Porsche(s), the beep could be turned on and off via a menu. On the Honda it only beeps if you press the lock button twice because the Japanese are always thinking. On my Fiat, the beep function can't be disabled and that's is why I replaced the factory horns with pneumatic ones. I would be quite surprised if the OP's car could not be converted to pneumatic horns just like my 2015 Abarth and I would bet it would solve his beep-on-lock situation.

Of course, that may not appeal to him for a variety of reasons or he may simply learn to live with the beep. Again, that's up for him to decide.

I admit that I'm not familiar with the 2021 500e. If it doesn't have an electrical system or if it doesn't have a wire going to the horn, then my advice would not apply and I will gladly admit that my proposed solution is worthless.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input folks, appreciate all comments. I confirm that I have scoured the manual and can find nothing to suggest that there is a way of doing this. There is an emergency physical key, and I have read that some people have "got round" the horn problem in previous iterations of the 500 by using the key to manually lock the car, but it seems that the emergency key for the new 500e is unlock only :rolleyes: so will not help with my problem. With all the other cars I have or had (Mercedes, BMW, VW etc) it has been possible by a simple menu setting to enable/disable this feature so I am surprised and a bit disappointed (as a first time Fiat owner) that this doesn't seem ever to have been configurable at Fiat.

I will contact the dealer and/or the factory, and if I do find an answer, I'll post here as I suspect that I won't be the last person to get pi$$ed by this "feature"

Registered
I鈥檓 really curious, how do you like the all new 2021 500e. The interior of the brand new car, is beautiful. How many miles on a charge, are you getting. I doubt Fiat USA, will ever import it here. Can you post any photos of you new ride?

Thanks, you the first person that posted owning one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, so good. I've been thinking about taking the plunge with an electric car for several years ... have organised several electric car rallies and driven everything from a Tesla Model S to a Renault Twizy. My wife has just ordered a Mercedes EQA, one daughter has a Toyota Yaris hybrid, and the other daughter has just ordered a Tesla Model 3 to offset her husband's thirsty Range Rover Velar. So we are a reasonably savvy family.

I so far love the "500e", or "New 500" or whatever it should be called. It's not super quick, but it is plenty quick enough for its purpose, especially to about 40-50mph, and has a good tight turning circle. It's also quiet to drive, although the rear roof spoiler creates quite a lot of wind noise above 50 mph.

I'm averaging 14.4 Kw/h per 100 km so far, which I calculate to be about 4.3 miles per Kw/h, and I recharge from around 40% to 100% in just over 2 hours at a 22Kw/h charging station. Integration of Android Auto seems pretty decent and I use Waze as my default navigator, and Spotify for audio streaming, both accurately controllable with "Hey Google" commands (far better than my Alexa/Spotify integration at home, which seldom gives me the specific album that I request)

I find the seatbelt is situated a bit too far back to grab easily when I first get in the car, and unfortunately mine does not have an induction charger for the phone, although (unlike some other electrics I've tested), there is enough space for my Galaxy S20 Ultra in its case to sit flat if there HAD been an induction charger in place of the rubber mat with the Turin skyline.

So ... areas for improvement apart from the horn when I lock the door and the aggressive regen when reversing in "Range" mode. Living as I do in the country only a few miles from the city centre (this is Europe! ;)) I like to use all of the road in the winding lanes around where I live, and every time I restart the car it defaults to "lane keep assist" mode ... .it's easy to switch off, but irritating that I have to ... again, it would be nice to be able to set it to default the way I want it. Also there are two trip metres ... long term (A) and current trip (B). I'm used to the B only resetting if a car has been switched off for a couple of hours (so that you can get the consumption and distance of the entire journey), whereas in the Fiat, if you switch of even for a second, the B resets to zero and starts all over. I realise that this is a question of personal preference, but it is slightly irritating. There is very little room in the back, and boot/trunk space is obviously compromised ... although you can see from the pictures that it can carry an adequate amount of groceries for two.

Overall I am pleasantly surprised and happy with the car ... no buyer's remorse so far!!
20210326_131125.jpg 20210326_131022.jpg
20210326_131125.jpg 20210326_131022.jpg 20210324_184506.jpg
20210326_150952.jpg

Registered
Beautiful color! I鈥檓 so jealous of you. What鈥檚 wrong with Fiat USA here. I鈥檇 trade my 10 year old 500, for that car. In a heart beat. The city I live in, there are Tesla鈥檚 everywhere. We have charging station, at shopping center, movie theaters, businesses, and even parks.

I have question for you? Why do all your cars, have the same license plate numbers? We own 5 cars. All of them have different license numberes, or Vanity names.

Registered
Hi All,

first time 500 owner here, based in Europe. Just taken delivery of a new 500 electric 42Kwh and would like/need to switch off the horn acknowledgement when I lock the car ... it's impressively loud for the size of the car! 馃槵 I've looked through the owner manual and can't see anything ... and no obvious settings in the car menus, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Also, does anyone else wonder what the point is of using high regen when reversing? I have to switch from Range to Normal whenever I need to reverse otherwise when I lift off, the car just stops :rolleyes: It's not a major thing, but it IS a niggle when trying to manoeuvre gently and seems unnecessary to me.
Can find the lock sound feature in the car settings from the 10" display. Had one 500e cabrio for couple of days to test drive and I activated the sound myself.
If you can't find it I will send a picture in couple of weeks once my car will arrive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful color! I鈥檓 so jealous of you. What鈥檚 wrong with Fiat USA here. I鈥檇 trade my 10 year old 500, for that car. In a heart beat. The city I live in, there are Tesla鈥檚 everywhere. We have charging station, at shopping center, movie theaters, businesses, and even parks.

View attachment 109976

I have question for you? Why do all your cars, have the same license plate numbers? We own 5 cars. All of them have different license numberes, or Vanity names.

In fact I have transferred the FC 1888 licence from the Clio RS to the 500 ... just haven't got round to selling the RS yet ... the Mercedes is CF 1888 instead of FC 1888 ... it's all to do with the year that Glasgow Celtic football (soccer) club was formed ... one of my daughters also has an 1888 plate on her car ... so they are vanity plates, within what is allowed by law in Luxembourg ... our neighbours in Belgium (how much are you hating my UK English by the way!? :ROFLMAO:) have much more freedom ... I recently saw "One Love" as a licence number on a Belgian car. The Luxembourg format for new cars is either five numbers, or two letters and four numbers. Old Luxembourgish families have all the four digit plates, and the one and two digit are reserved for members of the royal family. Used also to be two numbers and three letters, but they stopped that as well a few years back.

Thanks for the comments about the car colour ... it's "Ocean Green" and depending on the light looks either blue-green or green-blue ... either way, it's a great colour and a few people have commented positively on it! It's one of my favourite stock colours on any car at the moment.

Your ten year old looks in fantastic condition in that photo, you obviously look after it well!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can find the lock sound feature in the car settings from the 10" display. Had one 500e cabrio for couple of days to test drive and I activated the sound myself.
If you can't find it I will send a picture in couple of weeks once my car will arrive.
Would be very much appreciated ... I have the 10" display and cannot find that feature ... will be embarrassing after 40 years in IT if I've missed it ... but happy to take a bit of humiliation if it means getting rid of that *** noise!! 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
E葯ti din Rom芒nia?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mihai ... I had another look and BINGO ... found it buried about three levels down in the vehicle settings menu ... the logical place for it to be ... I had RTFM, but I hadn't gone deep enough into the settings menu!! :rolleyes:

Registered
Thanks Mihai ... I had another look and BINGO ... found it buried about three levels down in the vehicle settings menu ... the logical place for it to be ... I had RTFM, but I hadn't gone deep enough into the settings menu!! :rolleyes:
That's great. I only remembered I saw it but good you found it. Have fun driving your car.

Registered
In 2013 500e and 2012 500sport lock horn beep is loud yes.

But with both models, if you open the drivers door, press the key fob lock button before shutting door. It minimizes the horn sound. It makes more of a 鈥榗hirp鈥 instead a 鈥榖last.鈥

The horn sounds when door is closed. In some situations, no louder than the closing door.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In 2013 500e and 2012 500sport lock horn beep is loud yes.

But with both models, if you open the drivers door, press the key fob lock button before shutting door. It minimizes the horn sound. It makes more of a 鈥榗hirp鈥 instead a 鈥榖last.鈥

The horn sounds when door is closed. In some situations, no louder than the closing door.
Thanks for replying ... I'm delighted to say that the problem is solved, but in any event it's the new 2021 rather than the 2012 500e, so I guess the software has evolved in the interim.

Perhaps worthwhile for the forum moderators to create a separate category for the new 500? But, then again, if it's not going to be available in the USA, perhaps not worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts