Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I understand that the coolant lines of the radiator warm up when charging but is this the output temperature of the onboard charge controller rather than the battery? I would figure alfaobd would give us some good internal battery temp data to watch or installing an in-line thermistor sensor on the battery coolant output line would be great.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Nearly always, when charging, the coolant lines warm up to both radiators. Yes, there are two separate cooling systems (radiators, pumps, easily-visible reservoirs, etc).

Most of the heat you feel is from the charger. It's right next to the 12V batt, on the passenger side, so you can feel it directly just by yanking off the plastic motor cover. Mine gets nearly too hot to hold, with corresponding heat in its coolant pipes.

The HV battery itself, on the other hand, seems to produce very little heat when charging. AlfaOBD shows batt coolant input & output temps, usually only 1 or 2 degrees apart, & close to ambient. It also shows the max & min cell temperatures (& their identification numbers), as well as the temp of all 18 cell modules & balance boards.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts