Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I expect to get my service light soon. Only 3 issues on my punch list for the dealer to fix. I have a 5 speed manual Sport. Have a bad front driver door hinge that makes an awful noise whenever I open the door. The Blue & Me voice command "Next" stopped working (although "Previous" still works) and lastly the driver side door body moulding is coming off slightly. I dont think that's a high number of issues and am very happy with the 500.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds about right. Probably just adjustments. I like stopping by the dealer because they have killer espresso and with such a long service interval, I don't like to wait -- if there is a problem, get it fixed now. But I am retired and can swing by the dealer any time I want. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi. I expect to get my service light soon. Only 3 issues on my punch list for the dealer to fix. I have a 5 speed manual Sport. Have a bad front driver door hinge that makes an awful noise whenever I open the door. The Blue & Me voice command "Next" stopped working (although "Previous" still works) and lastly the driver side door body moulding is coming off slightly. I dont think that's a high number of issues and am very happy with the 500.

I decided not to wait for the service light to come on so I had the dealer change my oil and filter at 3,800 miles. It cost me $40 to switch to synthetic oil. I will bring my 500 in again at 8,000 miles for an oil and filter change and stay on that schedule. I feel more confident waiting 8,000 miles now that I am using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nero, have to agree with you. Maybe it's because for 45 years I've been "religious" about changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I will see if my dealer will allow for an early change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did not think of bringing it over before the first service light. Maybe I can drop it next weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was told the first oil change should be at 3K and subsequent changes at each 8K interval or as indicated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No way id go 8k, but this topic has been beaten to death.... Did mine at 500, will do it again, at 1500 then every 4k after that....its 40$ for a diy and its easy to do...

·
Registered
614 Posts
You were told wrong.

Right in the owners manual, it says 8k mile intervals.

BC.
Well since I'm getting synthetic oil changes free for as long as I own the car, me thinks 3K sound good to me.

The reason is precautionary to remove any burrs or deposits that were inadvertently trapped in manufacturing the engine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well since I'm getting synthetic oil changes free for as long as I own the car, me thinks 3K sound good to me.
Now here's the real kicker:

How will you know they poured in synthetic oil at every oil change?
And I would personally say that changing synthetic oil at 3k miles is a waste of perfectly good engine oil.

The reason is precautionary to remove any burrs or deposits that were inadvertently trapped in manufacturing the engine.
And as I've done in the past, I've pulled oil samples and sent them off to be tested in other car engines at the 700 to 1k mile range, and the company (Blackstone) has reported back that there weren't any large particles in the oil to be found.

So that's yet another waste of perfectly good engine oil.

Now, a motorcycle with the engine and transmission sharing the same oil, that's a different story.

BC.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Now here's the real kicker:

How will you know they poured in synthetic oil at every oil change?
And I would personally say that changing synthetic oil at 3k miles is a waste of perfectly good engine oil.

And as I've done in the past, I've pulled oil samples and sent them off to be tested in other car engines at the 700 to 1k mile range, and the company (Blackstone) has reported back that there weren't any large particles in the oil to be found.

So that's yet another waste of perfectly good engine oil.

Now, a motorcycle with the engine and transmission sharing the same oil, that's a different story.

BC.
Well since it's costing me $0.00, I'm down with it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts