Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
YEp, Fiat screwed up big time with J-Lo. It was mroe about her than the car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the link; that was the first time I've seen the hamster commercial. Even worse than the J-Pez spot...

This count includes the interweb's proliferation, even the hits we make when we rag about the spots.

2011 isn't over; the Abarth ad might overtake these others...

·
Registered
182 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, if you can get 27M to watch or talk about anything other than a celebrity sex tape, you have my vote for understanding the power of marketing. Not my personal favorite ad, but I have certainly seen far worse. The worst case scenario being an ad that you love but cannot remember what product it was for. The fact that new threads are started even in this forum almost weekly talking about the J Lo ad shows how "sticky" the ads actually are. Like them or not, we all talk about the J Lo Fiat ad, which is probably just what Fiat marketing intended. I believe the old advertising adage was something like, "I don't care if you talk good or bad about me, as long as you talk about me".

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, if you can get 27M to watch or talk about anything other than a celebrity sex tape, you have my vote for understanding the power of marketing. Not my personal favorite ad, but I have certainly seen far worse. The worst case scenario being an ad that you love but cannot remember what product it was for. The fact that new threads are started even in this forum almost weekly talking about the J Lo ad shows how "sticky" the ads actually are. Like them or not, we all talk about the J Lo Fiat ad, which is probably just what Fiat marketing intended. I believe the old advertising adage was something like, "I don't care if you talk good or bad about me, as long as you talk about me".
the ads in fact coincided with sales tanking. the ads did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help fiat. lots of people looking at something doesnt necessarily make it useful or valuable for the creator. so wat? alot of people heard about, went and looked at it, and what? went and looked at the car? doubtful based on ther sales drop. id say more of them looked at it and were enticed to go buy some music.

i think it is naive to think any more than a small percentage of those hits were because of the car.

as we have seen from many terrific and successful car ads, celebrities are completely unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
YEp, Fiat screwed up big time with J-Lo. It was mroe about her than the car.
there's no such thing as 'bad press' and in this case, if we're talking about the FIAT commercial, then they did their job. it got people talking............

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
there's no such thing as 'bad press' and in this case, if we're talking about the FIAT commercial, then they did their job. it got people talking............
the job of the commercial is to sell cars. period. different commercials accomplish that in different ways. if an ad gets people talking but doesnt sell product, then it is a failure. it is why ad agencies get fired all the time.

getting people talking isnt necessarily useful if the talk doesnt have a good deal of positive component.

"there's no such thing as bad press" is just an old cliche and originated in the context of celebrities needing more people discovering (or rediscovering) them. it has, in fact, not held true in many cases. (see charlie sheen)

a few months of sales at 3,000 car per month without said ad being all over TV

commercial debuts on Sept 12...september sales drop to 2773
commercial continues to run even more often and a new commercial debuts october 10....october sales drop even further to 1965
commercial is made even more widespread during october and november...november sales drop to 1618

all this even though 500's were getting discounted and more studios were opened in the past few mionths.

ive got a saying you all have heard: "with friends like that, who needs enemies"

maybe mini developed the ads...now that would make sense.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, it's give and take. Family that hadn't seen Fiat 500s yet knew the car from her commercials, but the impression left was that I was a J-Lo fan; still pretty ignorant as to the car itself.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
the ads in fact coincided with sales tanking. the ads did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help fiat. lots of people looking at something doesnt necessarily make it useful or valuable for the creator. so wat? alot of people heard about, went and looked at it, and what? went and looked at the car? doubtful based on ther sales drop. id say more of them looked at it and were enticed to go buy some music.

i think it is naive to think any more than a small percentage of those hits were because of the car.

as we have seen from many terrific and successful car ads, celebrities are completely unnecessary.
the job of the commercial is to sell cars. period. different commercials accomplish that in different ways. if an ad gets people talking but doesnt sell product, then it is a failure. it is why ad agencies get fired all the time.

getting people talking isnt necessarily useful if the talk doesnt have a good deal of positive component.

"there's no such thing as bad press" is just an old cliche and originated in the context of celebrities needing more people discovering (or rediscovering) them. it has, in fact, not held true in many cases. (see charlie sheen)

a few months of sales at 3,000 car per month without said ad being all over TV

commercial debuts on Sept 12...september sales drop to 2773
commercial continues to run even more often and a new commercial debuts october 10....october sales drop even further to 1965
commercial is made even more widespread during october and november...november sales drop to 1618

all this even though 500's were getting discounted and more studios were opened in the past few mionths.

ive got a saying you all have heard: "with friends like that, who needs enemies"

maybe mini developed the ads...now that would make sense.
I agree with Panther.

J- Lo is some what polarizing. J-Lo has been in the news over her many troubled relationships and her holier than thou attitude mixed with her flamboyance. It could be most of those hits are because of the controversy that her ad caused, just for an example, the fact it was shot in L.A. versus the Bronx on which it was portrayed and various news sources like the AP and NPR used links to the video for reporting it on Yahoo! and other news outlets. People could have watched just for the song since was more of a music video than a car ad.

As far as sayings go; "Proof is in the pudding." and as Panther pointed out since it aired it has not done anything to improve sales. The only thing that it has done is make it a uppity "chick car" and that didn't even help sales.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fair enough. I get that you personally hate J Lo. Like J Lo or hate her however, she is not responsible for the dire straits that Fiat and the entire auto industry is facing right now, here and abroad. Virtually all car retailers worldwide are struggling to sell cars and have taken a huge hit. That has nothing to do with J Lo. This is a systemic problem driven by a lack of consumer confidence. The significant challenge Fiat faces is to successfully introduce itself to the US and unfortunately they picked a really bad time to do it. It did not help that the Fiat marketing effort preceded getting the Studio network fully deployed. I personally have never heard anyone on the street make a negative comment about the Fiat J Lo association or state that they were going to buy a Fiat but decided to go with a Honda Fit, etc. after seeing the Fiat J Lo ad. Maybe your experience is different? I am asked however all the time what kind of car this is. Therein lies the challenge. To the original post, kudos to Fiat for exposing 27M people to a Fiat ad. It was probably as much luck as it was planning. Now the hard work is for Fiat to convert the exposure to sales. It is not going to be easy in this economy regardless of the type of marketing or spokesperson they utilize. We can rest assured that none of this is news to Fiat. They have not sold 10's of millions of cars over many decades by being ignorant of branding, sales and marketing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fair enough. I get that you personally hate J Lo.

.....kudos to Fiat for exposing 27M people to a Fiat ad. It was probably as much luck as it was planning. Now the hard work is for Fiat to convert the exposure to sales. .
i dont think you get it. people arent complaining because they hate JLO. they hate the overall ad. the use of her is part of the problem not because anyone necessarily hates her but because it does not effectively promote the fiat brand or the 500. nobody watches it and remembers the car, they remember her.

her Q rating has gone up since the ads have debuted. how many of those youtube hits do you think are from people who are of legal driving age? how many that are do you think give a rip about the little car she was driving?

Fiat will not convert those viewers to sales. youtube viewers have a very limited attention span. add to that they leave that ad thinking about a celebrity not a car.

there is NOT A SINGLE BENEFIT fiat got from that ad. i would argue that the ad indeed was responsible for a drop in sales. the numbers in relation to the release dates would back me up.

the economy is a poor excuse, as fiat was moving over 3000 cars for a while before the ads. additionally, other small cars have been moving very well the last few months.

it is poor marketing mixed with a very competitive small car market (that did not exist much at all 10 years ago).

it is a dismal failure and i have no idea why anyone is defending fiat for this in any way.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Fair enough. I get that you personally hate J Lo. Like J Lo or hate her however, she is not responsible for the dire straits that Fiat and the entire auto industry is facing right now, here and abroad. Virtually all car retailers worldwide are struggling to sell cars and have taken a huge hit. That has nothing to do with J Lo. This is a systemic problem driven by a lack of consumer confidence. The significant challenge Fiat faces is to successfully introduce itself to the US and unfortunately they picked a really bad time to do it. It did not help that the Fiat marketing effort preceded getting the Studio network fully deployed. I personally have never heard anyone on the street make a negative comment about the Fiat J Lo association or state that they were going to buy a Fiat but decided to go with a Honda Fit, etc. after seeing the Fiat J Lo ad. Maybe your experience is different? I am asked however all the time what kind of car this is. Therein lies the challenge. To the original post, kudos to Fiat for exposing 27M people to a Fiat ad. It was probably as much luck as it was planning. Now the hard work is for Fiat to convert the exposure to sales. It is not going to be easy in this economy regardless of the type of marketing or spokesperson they utilize. We can rest assured that none of this is news to Fiat. They have not sold 10's of millions of cars over many decades by being ignorant of branding, sales and marketing.
I agree with almost 100% of what you have posted. I think it does have more to do with the economy than J-Lo but she certainly didn't help matters none and I think the money could have been better spent on a better ad campaign like the Abarth Seduction video especially since they are basically a new "start up" company in the U.S.

You are correct they have been around for decades but not here in the U.S. and that last time they where here for those who can remember they didn't exactly have the best or even a good reputation. So Fiat has to do two things- one introduce it's self to a post American Fiat generation and second, over come the reputation it left behind years ago. Unfortunately all those auto magazines and auto review shows with their critics have been around long enough to remember Fiats past and might/ might not give it a fair shake and the media is a powerful thing. It's going to be a tuff haul for Fiat and I hope and pray they make it.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
i dont think you get it. people arent complaining because they hate JLO. they hate the overall ad. the use of her is part of the problem not because anyone necessarily hates her but because it does not effectively promote the fiat brand or the 500. nobody watches it and remembers the car, they remember her.
unfortunately this is the way advertising campaigns promote cars today.

take for example Audi: a BMW and an Audi racing home and the Beemer driver gets bombarded by kids with snowballs. ok, what model of Audi is it? I don't think ONCE it mentions what it is and if it does, you're not paying attention because you're watching the 'story'. any more, that commercial is just meant to entertain and for you to remember "Audi", just as you remember "FIAT" after seeing their commercials. oddly enough, Audi just had a record November and is experiencing record sales for 2011 as well.

only if you're watching a truck commercial (Toyota, Ford, Chevy and Ram are all pretty much the same) do you actually see their product "in action" and even then its done on a closed course by professionals.

commercials in general aren't about the product any more. not saying I like it......its just the way it is. FIAT is not alone. :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
unfortunately this is the way advertising campaigns promote cars today.

take for example Audi: a BMW and an Audi racing home and the Beemer driver gets bombarded by kids with snowballs. ok, what model of Audi is it? I don't think ONCE it mentions what it is and if it does, you're not paying attention because you're watching the 'story'. any more, that commercial is just meant to entertain and for you to remember "Audi", just as you remember "FIAT" after seeing their commercials. oddly enough, Audi just had a record November and is experiencing record sales for 2011 as well.

only if you're watching a truck commercial (Toyota, Ford, Chevy and Ram are all pretty much the same) do you actually see their product "in action" and even then its done on a closed course by professionals.

commercials in general aren't about the product any more. not saying I like it......its just the way it is. FIAT is not alone. :)
i agree somewhat, but the difference is when you leave the commercial, you are not left thinking about another product altogether...in this case JLO and her music.

furthermore, there are plenty of car commercials that are indeed about the car and its attributes. hyundai, for example , has done a very nice job advertising there cars this past year by focusing on the attributes of the car. they are not alone.

what makes the 500 different? basically, its style and a fun to drive attitude in a small car package. yet, they have really failed to show this to anyone.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I agree with almost 100% of what you have posted. I think it does have more to do with the economy.
then why did sales drop by 50% since the ads have started?

and why are other manuafacturers doing relatively well despite the economy. quite a few small cars are selling pretty well in the last few months.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
As much as I am tired of the mention of JLo I have to think some of the decrease in sales is likely related to her being the spokes person, I get comments often about her and the 500 and not one has been positive. I like the car but I hate constantly hearing such crap about it honestly but it doesn't change that I enjoy the car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I got my first J-Lo quip the other day when an auction guy came to my site to pick up a company car. On the one and only day I drove the FIAT to work, he singled it out in the parking lot (not knowing it was mine) and sniggled, "hey, a J-Lo car," snicker snicker.

I replied, "yeah, it's mine."
I'm 6'5" and he was about 5'6" ---- he stopped giggling and got in the Escape and escaped...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
then why did sales drop by 50% since the ads have started?

and why are other manuafacturers doing relatively well despite the economy. quite a few small cars are selling pretty well in the last few months.
With all the the forums like Fiat, CR-Z and MINI/Mini I read and the two I moderate I only have time to skim read and my posts are either short or long but jumbled. I don't usually have time to proof read, spell check, or check for grammar and often I leave out detail or don't get my point across. I apologise for that.

If you go back and read my post I said, "I agree with almost 100% of what you have posted". That means I didn't agree with everything he said and what I did agree with is addressed in the second paragraph that you left out.

Now back to the ads. If you have been following my posts I have already said that J- lo is a polarizing figure and made the Fiat into an "uppity chicks car" which I am sure turned away male buyers and it is obvious her ad did not help Fiat sales given the numbers . That's what I meant when I said, "She certainly didn't help sales none" in a prior post. With that being said, To blame J- Lo solely for the failed launch of Fiat would be wrong. That is just like saying the current economic mess we are in was solely caused by the housing bubble when it was also caused by the government, fraud, people buying beyond their means ans spending more than they earn, lending institutions, fraud, over spending, globalization and the list goes on. With Fiat, it was a mix of not only the J-Lo ad but poor premarketing, dealer building and support, investment, limited model selection, the economic time period and advertising. It was a bunch of factors that created a perfect storm.

You asked why other manufacture are doing better......

Quite simply there established. People know them and trust them. They also have better marketing and advertising. They are more plentiful and are in more locations. People are more wise with their money now than they where 5- 7 years ago during the boom. They have to be. Most people don't have extra money just to throw around and experiment on. Not every small car manufacture is selling hot and heavy. Honda for example has seen a drop in Civic sales and their CR-Z (which I own) is really in the toilet. MINI with the exception of the Countryman is down also.

You asked why sales have dropped; I already gave reasons above but will add to the answer for this to question directly. Every car that comes out that is "cutting edge", "cute" or "unique" experiences a boom when they first hit the streets and then it tappers off. Especially after how Fiat handled it's launch with Premarketing and advertising and dealers not open yet when they where supposed to be and taking their sweet time to get the doors open or/ and return Emails and phone messages it is no big surprise for me. For example; I want the Abarth. It is burning in my sole how bad I want one. This past year when I was doing research on the list of Fiat dealers there was not one scheduled for my city. Since I went through that crap with MINI and my MINI was a piece of crap that made it a big hassle for warranty work so I wrote off Fiat because I was not going to go through that again. As aresult I went and bought a Honda CR-Z eight months ago. Now as it turns out there is a Fiat dealer opening up on the 1st of January in my city............. If I would have know that and if the list was correct I would have held out. I have left messages for them because they do have a number on the door and it took weeks to get a reply.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I got my first J-Lo quip the other day when an auction guy came to my site to pick up a company car. On the one and only day I drove the FIAT to work, he singled it out in the parking lot (not knowing it was mine) and sniggled, "hey, a J-Lo car," snicker snicker. I replied, "yeah, it's mine." I'm 6'5" and he was about 5'6" ---- he stopped giggling and got in the Escape and escaped...
Nice, if I was your size I guess it might actually be fun at times but I am only 5'8" so not so much in the fun department when it comes to that part. The 500 is somewhat like a nice watch or jewelry in a way I guess, almost like an accessory with its offer on uniqueness and styling so that part makes it kinda fun still, being so few around at least in my area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts