Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in Italy last week and I took a few pics of 500's there. I'm posting a couple of Abarth cabrio photos. Two points: I think the Abarth 500C rear spoiler will appeal to some here with the cabrio. A special order upgrade, perhaps? Note also the orange HC pass on the dash of one car. A different approach to transport for those with mobility challenges, I think.

BTW, I saw five Abarths or so. All this white. Only one was a hard top. All had the push button transmission that you see here (sorry for the crappy photo). Tires were a 40 series 17". That must shake your fillings out on the Roman cobbles.

Finally, I noticed that the Italian 500's have the turn signal in the top of the main headlight, rather than in the lower driving light as we seem to have here.

Please note that I endured the laughing derision of my wife to get these pics for you. No sacrifice too great for those with scorpions on their minds.

Cheerio,

Attachments

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I was trying to source that wing for mine and it seemed to be a $400 item.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Finally, I noticed that the Italian 500's have the turn signal in the top of the main headlight, rather than in the lower driving light as we seem to have here. Please note that I endured the laughing derision of my wife to get these pics for you. No sacrifice too great for those with scorpions on their minds. Cheerio,
That's because they are halogen LOW beams and turn signals ONLY....their equivalent of the DOT isn't so anally retentive, meaning their HIGH beams are where our turn signals/DRL's are located. U.S. DOT won't allow the HIGH beams to be placed lower than the main low beams. I don't know the exact wording, but that's one of the reasons we (U.S. don't know about the Canadian rules) have the projectors, not necessariy because we're so 'special'.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back from Italy in October, and thought I'd share a few more pics- only one Abarth this time, but a VW Scirocco, a Stratos and Delta rally cars, an old 500 and and old Fulvia, and a few Fiat goodies that I haven't seen 'round these parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, many parts are very beautiful, to be sure. Some depressing things too, but from Rome north, I could not see much evidence of crisis. They are a generally happy bunch, and I've become very fond of long lunches. Very civilized.

I have more pics of Italian beauty; I could upload the other 1200 pictures, but only 1100 of them are Fiat-related. I didn't try the Fiat wine, and I saw a whole range of Fiat-branded chocolates. I would have brought some back, but then I'd have to get enough for everyone on the forum.

Must look into one of those coffee makers, however. You can see a reflection of my wife in the wine & brandy photo. She is giving me a hard time about these photos. She seems to think that stopping constantly to take car pictures is some sort of odd behaviour. I think she's the strange one.

·
Banned
762 Posts
Well, many parts are very beautiful, to be sure. Some depressing things too, but from Rome north, I could not see much evidence of crisis. They are a generally happy bunch, and I've become very fond of long lunches. Very civilized.

I have more pics of Italian beauty; I could upload the other 1200 pictures, but only 1100 of them are Fiat-related. I didn't try the Fiat wine, and I saw a whole range of Fiat-branded chocolates. I would have brought some back, but then I'd have to get enough for everyone on the forum.

Must look into one of those coffee makers, however. You can see a reflection of my wife in the wine & brandy photo. She is giving me a hard time about these photos. She seems to think that stopping constantly to take car pictures is some sort of odd behaviour. I think she's the strange one.
A lot of the problems we here IMO are hyped up by the media here and politicians too...people are doing OK in general in Europe and they still have a better standard of living than we do.

Americans always think they are the beacon to which everyone wants to aspire to and somehow their lifestyles don't waiver but everyone elses does....

Anyway...just my thoughts. Carry on.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I find THIS photo fascinating! It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I love FIAT 500s ~ old and new.

I've been to Europe and Asia several times as an adult. I've also been to the Caribbean (Puerto Rico many throughout my life and Jamaica as an adult). Times are relatively tough all over. Personal (and national) mentality/philosophy makes life bearable/unbearable. Nationalism in European countries and the US (we call it Patriotism here) are oft-times expressed in very ugly ways.

Thanks to Umbrianissimo for posting these photos of FIAT 500s in their natural habitat. The photos bring back a lot of great memories. We'll be visiting family in Europe next year. I can hardly wait. :cool:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

I went there in April for business and pleasure and everyone couldn't stop talking about the crisis, I drove from Rome to Venice and it was on everyone's lips. It's a great country and I could easily adapt there being of Italian background. Just sitting at a cafe with my wife across the street from the Colosseum is surreal.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I love how we didnt get a watered down version of the Abarth here in North America. We always seem to get the short end of the stick but Its cool to see them almost exactly the same from one country to another

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I love how we didnt get a watered down version of the Abarth here in North America. We always seem to get the short end of the stick but Its cool to see them almost exactly the same from one country to another
And our base Pop is better than the EU version.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a few more car pics from my travels

Thank you all for the kind comments. I didn't actually expect that anyone was even interested. But for a brief encore, here is another pic of the Fulvia at a wedding, the black 500 in Rome and the new Mercedes A class in Verona. One last pic of the soft white 500 in Verona as well. Ah, yes......
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Regularity rally Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500

1 - 15 of 15 Posts