Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have and experience or feedback with regard to the ECU remap listed here: http://www.fiat500speed.com/products.html

Seems pretty pricey to me - but they sure are advertising some nice gains! I'm more than likely going to pull the trigger on a timing controll from Road Race soon - just saw this and though tit was interesting. I like the piggyback idea from Road Race better - less reason for a dealer to deny warranty since it's so easily removeable!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That's Mark's ecu product. You have to send your ecu in. If it had a feature where it could be turned off by a series of button inputs like my APR one, then the dealer couldn't find it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's Mark's ecu product. You have to send your ecu in. If it had a feature where it could be turned off by a series of button inputs like my APR one, then the dealer couldn't find it.
The dealer can't find programming. The ECU would have to be sent out. All the techs can do is diagnostics

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The dealer can't find programming. The ECU would have to be sent out. All the techs can do is diagnostics
Actually they can. When my Audi went in for a new engine under warranty, they saw my new program because I didn't get a chance to turn it off. The mechanic mentioned it, but turned a blind eye. All major ECU companies offer the option of turning it off through a cruise control button sequence.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They can see it. I've had VWs and a Mazda that showed either flash date or flash version. They know.

Reactions: lorvar

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They can see it. I've had VWs and a Mazda that showed either flash date or flash version. They know.
I've spoken, and know quite a few techs. All of them say the same thing. They have no way to see a tune.

I flashed my Genesis Coupe, even told the tech. He couldn't seen a difference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe it depends on the manufacturer, but VW/Audi dealers can definitely tell. Of course, they know what to look for, where as Hyundai has really only had 1 car that most people would flash.

·
Registered
188 Posts
According to Mark it is not detectable on the dealer level. I would love to get this but it is way outside my budget. I would rather get the RRM and still have money in my budget for rims. Lol!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what's the performance difference between the flash and ecu

Sent from my Argento 500
As I posted in the other thread:
Per their website listing I see a claimed 9hp and 10tq.

As for Road Race according to their listed dyno both horsepower and torque dial in around 5.5ish for both.​

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
does Allison's have a spec for flash intake and exhaust. I bet 15 hps would be noticeable. maybe the flash price will come down or we could try to organize a group buy

Sent from my Argento 500

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
188 Posts
As I posted in the other thread:
Per their website listing I see a claimed 9hp and 10tq.

As for Road Race according to their listed dyno both horsepower and torque dial in around 5.5ish for both.​
It would definitely be worth it if we could do a group buy and get a nice hefty discount. I just contacted Mark. I'll update once I get a response.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would definitely be worth it if we could do a group buy and get a nice hefty discount. I just contacted Mark. I'll update once I get a response.
I'm pulling up a chair right here. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
me too!!! I know there is R&D to recoupe but it's a flash of the ecu!

Hopefully he will hook is up!!!

Sent from my Argento 500
Yeah considering it costs approx. $500-ish for a dyno tune here in Chicago, I can see where hes getting his number. But still, a discount would be great!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
what's the performance difference between the flash and ecu

Sent from my Argento 500

The ECU is what gets flashed. Unless it's a piggy back unit. It plugs inline with your OEM ECU and modifies the signal as it leaves the ECU.

The flash actually overwrites what your ECU stores. Your ECU contains flash memory. Think of it as a big ol' BIOS chip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Update: I received word back from Mark @ Allison. I asked him if it was possible to get the oem file back if I decide to sell the vehicle. He told me that once the flash is done the oem file is NOT able to be reflashed. Also he said that he would be open to a group buy or discount. The price reflects overnight shipping so that can be adjusted depending on location. Thats good for you fellas that live in Cali...

With that said, I am still on the fence about this. With my subaru I used the Cobb Accessport which cost about $600 at the time. This unit allows for the oem file to be downloaded first and then uploads the new file. I think I am going to go with the RRM unit unless someone comes up with something better soon

·
Registered
376 Posts
Update: I received word back from Mark @ Allison. I asked him if it was possible to get the oem file back if I decide to sell the vehicle. He told me that once the flash is done the oem file is NOT able to be reflashed. Also he said that he would be open to a group buy or discount. The price reflects overnight shipping so that can be adjusted depending on location. Thats good for you fellas that live in Cali...

With that said, I am still on the fence about this. With my subaru I used the Cobb Accessport which cost about $600 at the time. This unit allows for the oem file to be downloaded first and then uploads the new file. I think I am going to go with the RRM unit unless someone comes up with something better soon
If you haven't talked to RRM I would suggest you call and talk to them. I had a great conversation with Brandon and learned a lot about chips, the RRM ecu, and other assorted Fiat upgrades. Great guys and very helpful. After talking to them I decided I didn't want to mess with the chip at this point so I got the ecu and I love it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you haven't talked to RRM I would suggest you call and talk to them. I had a great conversation with Brandon and learned a lot about chips, the RRM ecu, and other assorted Fiat upgrades. Great guys and very helpful. After talking to them I decided I didn't want to mess with the chip at this point so I got the ecu and I love it.
I have emailed Rock and spoke with him prior.

From their website:
The timing controller advances timing by about 3-4 degrees, which noticeably improves HP/TQ, and throttle response.

A cobb accessport would have that plus so much more. I had several different combinations that I could choose from with different setups that were based off dyno tunes. I would rather have the cobb for $250 more than the RRM module that only adjusts my timing a few degrees.

But alas, there is nothing on the market as of yet. I did however contact Cobb and asked if we are going to see any support for our beloved Fiats anytime soon. I will update as soon as I hear back.

Keep your fingers crossed....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts