Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.. forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a fairly definitive answer.

I have a Fiat 500 Sport 5-speed, and I have been averaging about 430km per tank of gas. I always fill up with premium, and I doubt that has a huge impact on it.. but I can't help but feel like I should be getting more out of a tank of gas than THIS. I do city driving, but its mostly just from my apartment to work, which is about 10 K away and is not stop-go-stop-go majority of the time.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I tried both premium and regular and I didn't notice a difference in gas mileage. Would it hurt to keep using regular?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hey everyone.. forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a fairly definitive answer.

I have a Fiat 500 Sport 5-speed, and I have been averaging about 430km per tank of gas. I always fill up with premium, and I doubt that has a huge impact on it.. but I can't help but feel like I should be getting more out of a tank of gas than THIS. I do city driving, but its mostly just from my apartment to work, which is about 10 K away and is not stop-go-stop-go majority of the time.

Any suggestions?
6 miles is a pretty short trip. warmup will kill mileage on shorter trips, especially if you are in a cold clomate.

maybe the engine block heater for the 500 would be a good thing. ive seen other short trip commuters use those in the winter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
40 litres is a very small tank, and recording how many kms you get per tank is not a great way to judge fuel economy. I suggest re setting your avg economy for a new tank of fuel and this will give you an pretty good idea of you kms/l. As for the range, it's just an effect of a small tank and the type of driving you do. I have a 5spd sport as well and could mabey nudge 650km from a tank with mostley hwy driving.:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Take a longer/slower way to work. You'll drive more but get better economy...

I've gotten as much as 44 mpg with our automatic trans Sport and as little as 30 when thrashing it. The economy got better after about 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
38-42 with 5-speed manual. 38 overall if a bunch of test driving by curious friends or stuck in traffic jams part of the time, 42+ if all is normal and doing only a little goofing around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have 5000 miles on my manual Sport and I just returned from a trip to South Carolina from Connecticut and back.

Total trip metrics according to the car's readout are:

1941.4 miles
33.6 mpg average economy
63 mph average speed
30h 43m total travel time

I took it "easy" (75-80 mph) on the way back which skewed the initial metric from just the trip down, where I wailed on the car (90+) a bit more:

935 miles
34.6 mpg average economy
71 mph average speed
13h total travel time

I encountered somewhat high winds at 30+ mph on the way home and was impressed with the way such an upright car did not feel blown all over the road at 80+ mph. My one regret is that I did not swap back to the OEM Sport wheels and tires. Passing power is acceptable at highway speeds, and that’s hefty praise from me for a 100 hp car. The car does not struggle to get by a slower cars, despite a few times when I bit off more than the 500 could chew and I had to cancel the pass. I had no problem keeping up with much faster cars as long as they did not decide to drop a clowning on me, and I pretty much lived at 80-95 mph the whole way down.

I am still extremely satisfied with the purchase. :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
My sport has 450 miles on it, but averages 27mpg (with mostly calm city driving). It seems a little low, but maybe it's just because the engine is still new.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My sport has 450 miles on it, but averages 27mpg (with mostly calm city driving). It seems a little low, but maybe it's just because the engine is still new.
I do think it will improve with time, seems to have gotten better for many of us from what I recall reading from others posts.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
My car got over 5,000 miles on it now.

This summer the MPG was around 32-34 with the AC on.

Winter, right now the MPG is about 28-29. Pretty normal for winter driving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1600 miles on my car in under 2 weeks since I bought it...tweaked my driving a bit and have gone from 36.9 in mixed driving to 37.4 which I'm very happy with. Getting it into 5th gear early seems to boost the mileage nicely. 5th gear at 40mph feels fine and the economy is great. Could use a 6th gear for the highway...I take it easy and stay under 3000 rpms at about 66-68mph and unless I'm going up an incline my highway mileage stays in the 40's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts