Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who lives in a state that actually experiences hardcore winters have significant concerns about the 500 being your sole vehicle?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I live in NY and would use it year round.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i had a ragtop in michigan for one winter.

never again. having to scrape new layers of slush/snow/ice many many times over the winter takes its toll on the top no matter how careful you are. salt will get on the top as well. heat retention isnt as good.

sure, you can do it, but if i had a convertible again id have a winter beater in the winter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm anxious to find out. I'm in northern Ohio. I have a hard top 500, so I don't have to worry about that. I've already placed one of those long bags of sand in the back and have an appt. next week to have a new set of Michelin stud-less snow tires put on. I also have a cover for the 500 - we'll see how that works out if there's heavy snow or ice in the forecast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm anxious to find out. I'm in northern Ohio. I have a hard top 500, so I don't have to worry about that. I've already placed one of those long bags of sand in the back and have an appt. next week to have a new set of Michelin stud-less snow tires put on. I also have a cover for the 500 - we'll see how that works out if there's heavy snow or ice in the forecast.
sand in the trunk of a front wheel drive car will do nothing, in fact it might do more harm than good. you want most of the cars weight over the wheels turned by the motor, in this case the front. the engine already puts most of the weight up there, thats why front wheel drive cars are better in the snow. sand in the back helps only on rear wheel drive cars...all its going to do is lower your gas mileage and create unnessasary weight in the back

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I don't live in the states, but will be using my 500C as my winter vehicle. We had our first snowfall last night and it did good in the snow and with the ice on the roads. I haven't put winter tires on it yet but plan to shortly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anyone who lives in a state that actually experiences hardcore winters have significant concerns about the 500 being your sole vehicle?
I don't really understand what your question is?

Some people think you are concerned about having a convertible in the winter.
Others think you are concerned about it being a front wheel drive car, and not able to get traction.

Can you make your concerns more clear so we know what the real question is you want answered?

BC.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sand in the trunk of a front wheel drive car will do nothing, in fact it might do more harm than good. you want most of the cars weight over the wheels turned by the motor, in this case the front. the engine already puts most of the weight up there, thats why front wheel drive cars are better in the snow. sand in the back helps only on rear wheel drive cars...all its going to do is lower your gas mileage and create unnessasary weight in the back
Thank you, FIAT5!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
yeah, i assumed he was asking about the use of a car with a ragtop.

if the concern is a small front wheel drive in the snow, dont worry. these types of cars generally do quite well in snow. i live in michigan and have never even used snow tires on any front wheel drive car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really understand what your question is?

Some people think you are concerned about having a convertible in the winter.
Others think you are concerned about it being a front wheel drive car, and not able to get traction.

Can you make your concerns more clear so we know what the real question is you want answered?

BC.
A SMALL... LIGHTWEIGHT... CAR, irrespective of whether it's a hardtop or convertible, as one's sole source of transportation in an area that happens to experience winters that include snow and/or icy conditions for a period of months each year.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
A SMALL... LIGHTWEIGHT... CAR, irrespective of whether it's a hardtop or convertible, as one's sole source of transportation in an area that happens to experience winters that include snow and/or icy conditions for a period of months each year.
then no probblem. a small front wheel drive car will handle the winter just fine.

if you have a manual transmission that can give you even better cotrol in the snow.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Long ago I had a Nissan Micra which was smaller and lighter than the 500 and it tore it up in the winter here in Toronto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts