Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 500C owners witnessed this strange behavior of top/trunk-lid?

When closing top, instead of one-push of button and top closing to the"almost-closed" position (coming from the the 2nd or "Sun-roof" position) Top stops moving when you release button. So you hold button until top closes completely. Okay. But - THEN - the trunk-lid won't open (as if the top were in the All-The-Way-Down position). So then, you have to lower rear seatbacks to get groceries (with melting Dove Bars!! @#$%^&*!!!) out of the trunk via the back seat. Okay. So then you try to get the top to move again and it won't - but - finally - it does move but WON'T STOP MOVING. Even when you release the button it KEEPS ON MOVING. First to the all-the-way-down position, then to the all-the-way-closed position (you're not touching the top control buttons during this entire sequence) then BACK to the 2nd position (Sun-roof) position when it finally stops. Then the top operates normally and the trunk lid WILL OPEN!!!

Anybody else with a 500C have this happen to them?

Am I about to be sorry that I ... (Gulp) ... bought a ... (choke) Italian car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is resolved. Yes I bought an Italian car but Italian cars have changed since the days of my last Fiat, a 1974 Fiat 124 Sedan which - literally - just fell apart.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great, glad it worked out for you, hopefully it isn't a common reoccurring issue.
So far for me it happened just once in 2 years. Based on that and how infrequently we see posts of this type, I'll wager its pretty rare since the 1st thing people do when something like this happens is do a search and start posing LOL.

Steve...your in for years of Italian style fun.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
So far for me it happened just once in 2 years. Based on that and how infrequently we see posts of this type, I'll wager its pretty rare since the 1st thing people do when something like this happens is do a search and start posing LOL.

Steve...your in for years of Italian style fun.

This is my hope as well! :cool:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes I have had this happen twice in almost a year and a half. No big deal. Just a reset. I think it happens when I push the buttons too quickly while the roof is moving and it gets confused, or maybe it is just me that is confused...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any 500C owners witnessed this strange behavior of top/trunk-lid?

When closing top, instead of one-push of button and top closing to the"almost-closed" position (coming from the the 2nd or "Sun-roof" position) Top stops moving when you release button. So you hold button until top closes completely. Okay. But - THEN - the trunk-lid won't open (as if the top were in the All-The-Way-Down position). So then, you have to lower rear seatbacks to get groceries (with melting Dove Bars!! @#$%^&*!!!) out of the trunk via the back seat. Okay. So then you try to get the top to move again and it won't - but - finally - it does move but WON'T STOP MOVING. Even when you release the button it KEEPS ON MOVING. First to the all-the-way-down position, then to the all-the-way-closed position (you're not touching the top control buttons during this entire sequence) then BACK to the 2nd position (Sun-roof) position when it finally stops. Then the top operates normally and the trunk lid WILL OPEN!!!

Anybody else with a 500C have this happen to them?

Am I about to be sorry that I ... (Gulp) ... bought a ... (choke) Italian car?
Check out "evilkarl the 2nd" post of 7/17/2015: Here's his instructions. I did it 9 years ago (my 500C is a 2012):
1) Starting with the roof closed, hold the open button until the roof opens all the way ( rear window) down plus 3 to 5 seconds more.
2) Release the open button.
3) Hold the close button until the roof has closed all the way and keep the button pushed for 3 to 5 seconds more.
4) Release the close button
5) The roof will open and then close to the sunroof position by itself DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTONS WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING!
6) Then all will be well! The roof opens/closes to its pre-set positions and the trunk can now be opened from outside
of the car. E-mail me at [email protected].
Still in love with mia machina! Morgano, 2012 500C

P.S. This problem first happened 6months after I bought the car. The dealer said "the top needed to be reprogramed'.
The reprogram instruction are above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That works! When I bought my Abarth on the first of December I was told that the trunk latch was working and that they had made an appointment for it to be repaired on a Friday. So I brought it to the Fiat dealership and they said that they were getting a signal to the trunk latch from the ecu but the latch wasn't opening so they were stumped and that they were going to have to get a Fiat engineer to look at it and see if they could fix it. So I left with a brand new ecu but no functional trunk, I told them that if they needed the car for an extended period of time that they'd need to supply me with a rental/loaner. People have jobs to get to, you know? They said to call them on Monday, I called them on Monday morning to see what the plan was and they told me that all the managers were currently in a meeting and they would call me back with a game plan. Meanwhile, doing some research, I came across a video on YouTube posted by another dealership that deals with this on a regular basis. That video shows the exact same process for relearning the cabrios top. Worked like a charm and the trunk lid opened up perfectly like it should. This could possibly happen again when you disconnect the battery for an extended period or the battery is dead. I sent the video to the dealership that was stumped. Apparently they over thought this process or were never made aware of it. Needless to say. I won't be going to that dealership for service. 🙄

1 - 12 of 12 Posts