Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a couple vendors with springs for the 500, most of the folks swapping in springs are starting out with a Sport - already stiffer dampers than comes with my Pop

Does anyone know info about the shocks; the valving differences between the soft Pop, the Sport and the upcoming Abarth? I want my car mildly lower, and I want it to roll less - but I don't want 1/2 a package. Springs alone worries me that the stock shocks won't properly damping the stiffer springs and I might get a lower look but not the ride/handling I'm looking for...

I guess this is what you get when you buy a first year :) Was all so easy with my old VW - a zillion + options..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
All 500's have the same suspension. Even the Abarth uses the same geometry with stiffer springs. Don't be fooled, the Sport uses the exact same springs as the Pop and Lounge

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are the shocks the only difference between the sport and the others? how do they claim a sportier suspension if the parts are the same?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Most cars stock suspension arent designed for lowering springs. You can do it but your shocks and struts won't last nearly as long as with stock springs. If you're paying someone to install the parts you're better off just spending the extra cash and getting suspension that is properly set up for lowering springs. It will save you money in the long run. Or get a set of coilovers so you can set them up exactly how you want them.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly so i'm trying to find out what shocks for the springs... done this before but with cars that had been around longer so folks had actually designed kits that worked...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Are you just lowering the car, or improving performance?
My goal is primarily better handling around corners so ideally I'd also find a slightly larger rear bar. But the car does sit a little high I think so it doesn't hurt to drop some (I measured 3 " between tire and wheel well)

·
Registered
269 Posts

I have Eibach's (pro kit) and a strut brace on my 500C and it handles on rails. I have been keeping my eyes open for aftermarket shocks/struts to no avail. No worries though, drives great and they will hit the market sooner then later.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Anyone with experience doing a Eibach pro kit on a sport? Will that kill the shocks as well?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

I am running that setup. The ride isnt too harsh but I can tell those stock shocks and struts wont last very long. I got coilovers on the way

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Coilovers are the way to go. RRM is coming out with Bilsteins soon, which are the best. There is no rear sway bar available yet.

Knuckle look into coilovers, and dump the springs

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Coilovers are the way to go. RRM is coming out with Bilsteins soon, which are the best. There is no rear sway bar available yet.

Given but a much much bigger investment in parts and labor for those of us that don't do car work.

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
269 Posts

If only I could afford them, ha ha! Pretty sure were talking a couple grand. Not even the coveted Abarth has such niceties. I'll hold out for a set of Koni's or Kyb's when they hit the market and save my pennies. I am still very happy with my eibach's till then.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Given but a much much bigger investment in parts and labor for those of us that don't do car work.
From my experience, it's actually LESS work to install coilovers rather than springs. With springs, you have no choice but to compress the spring and disassemble the strut assembly in order to swap out the springs for the new ones. With coilovers, you pop the whole assembly off and put the new one on. Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
From my experience, it's actually LESS work to install coilovers rather than springs. With springs, you have no choice but to compress the spring and disassemble the strut assembly in order to swap out the springs for the new ones. With coilovers, you pop the whole assembly off and put the new one on. Easy-peasy.
Only hurts two to three times more in the bank account. Ha ha!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts