Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Owner. I just bought a 2017 500e.
Most batteries last about six months after the warranty expires. So I'm sure this 500e's 12V battery is close to the end. Is there a particular routine for replacing the battery?

I have a Lexus which requires a jumper to give 'Life Support' to the car's computers. My mechanic says a replacement battery on a Mercedes is costly because of all the computer systems in the vehicle.

I have been looking for a 12V for the 500e and don't see a lot. Is the gasoline car battery different?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 500e battery is really lightly loaded. So you cannot use a gas car battery's usage pattern as an analog. The high voltage battery charges the 12V battery to 14.5V whenever the car is on. The 12V battery is also charged when the 500e is being charged. It's only job is to run the electronics as and EV has no starting engine function, or a starter for that matter.

The group size of the OEM battery is an H5. It's the same battery as the standard 500 series vehicles. So it shouldn't be difficult to find.

Be aware that when it does fail you will get all types of computer failures. It is important to replace it soon after that because it will break down while driving.

Electric Tire Shredder has several posts in this forum about the battery, checking it, and erratic behavior when it starts to fail. Take a search for them when you get a chance.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Right, it's the same as a gas 500, which apparently is huge overkill since a much smaller battery works even in the gas ones, where users have had perfect success with 14Ah motorcycle batteries (I believe the stock one is 24).

My white 500e, made 07/2013, has the original battery but I have a cool garage & I open the hood while charging, to let out the heat of the onboard charger that's right next to the 12V. My buddy doesn't do that with his newer white 500e & his 12V died quite a while ago.

I expect mine to die any day now, with only 1 or 2 days warning given on the car's display. I'd almost certainly already have a motorcycle battery installed except that my friend loaned me her spare jumpstarter & a member of this forum confirmed they work, at least if you have an OBD reader to clear the codes. (I have a $17 one from eBay)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
Yea I am on the same boat I have a backup H5 from a 2019 Volkswagen ready charged and to install. I think having a lithium jumper is wise when it does take a dump. But my original 2017 batteries doing just fine

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is a group size 47 (H5) battery. The car shipped with a standard maintenance free lead acid battery. A better battery for EVs is an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery. You can get a Duracell AGM H5 battery at Sam's Club for $145.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies. I assume the initial warning symptoms are computer failures followed quickly, a day or so, by total failure.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Reportedly there's some sort of "12V failure" warning at which time the car drives fine, but only for a day or 2 & then it just dies with the key stuck in the ignition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went out to measure the battery. I figured I'd go to Costco, Pep Boys or Wal-Mart and see what they might have in the same size.

The name on the side of the battery is DEKA, (Korean) and it looks new. The part number is 647 MF. I googled DEKA and found a company in Pennslyvania. I then searched for a local dealer and found two, one in Anaheim and one in Ontario. Using their search engine for a battery for a '17 Fiat/500. This comes up: 'DEKA 647 MF.'

The Anaheim dealer doesn't deal in Automotive Batteries but Solar batteries. The other dealer in Ontario was unavailable by phone, so I E-Mailed them. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
Don't waste your money yet. It seems yours might have already been replaced. Here's a pic of my 2013 for comparison, complete with "Chrysler Group LLC" on the label.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have the stock original, 7 years old. Mine IS a replacement... and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
You could check the manufacture date of your 2017, on the back edge of the door, & consider the fact that the original 12V might have been sitting in a warehouse for a while before that. Most replacements will have an installation date, for warranty purposes, so you might check for that.

I know it's hard to believe a classic-style car battery could wear out in under 3 years, but my buddy's 2015 died in 2018. Heat is bad for pretty much any battery's lifespan. There's a LOT of heat coming off the nearby onboard charger shown at the very top edge of my pic. If you put your hand on it after it's been charging for a while it's barely tolerable. I have always opened my hood while charging, & you can see I've now added an insulative styrofoam sheet I got from a shipped package.

With a gas car, batteries last around 3-6 years, & they're only being heated by the engine while driving*. For all we know, your car's prior owner only used L1 charging, & with that a 500e charger is heating the 12V about 5 times as long as the length of time you're driving. Even on L2 it's heating the 12V for about the same length of time as you are driving (so roughly equivalent wear to a gas car). On the plus side, charging & driving a 500e constantly supplies the 12V with 14+V, which greatly reduces lead-acid aging.

*Yes, they're being heated for a few minutes while the engine is cooling AFTER driving, but they're also NOT being heated while the engine warms up for the first few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
225 Posts
You can offset some of that said heat with a nifty battery blanket. I got one off a VW for $12 I think it actually works since my VW killed the battery 4.5yrs from the day I got it and the car has 102k miles, meanwhile the run of the mill Toyota’s are killing their battery within 2-3 years. And keep in mind VW are very demanding on battery since there is a auxiliary water pump that runs after shut down for like 7-10 mins and misc electrical modules that draw power. Despite all that the battery lasted that long kinda surprised me. I was used to replacing battery every 3 years of the Japanese cars I have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I bought this 500e I looked at the Nissan Leaf. The Leaf does not have liquid cooling or heating of the battery. The battery degrades rapidly.

On the Leaf's display, the % of Charge is on the left side and on the right is the Guess-0-meter. there are two columns of indicator lines. The long ones close to the center of the dial are usage and on the outside are little short ones. 12 in number the first 2 are red followed by 10 white ones. As the battery degrades you lose a line at the top. It seems 11 lines is pretty normal, you lose another after a while. They indicate capacity.

I looked at Leafs in Las Vegas online. If you have an 80-100 mile EV car in Las Vegas, I'll bet you bought it there.
It hits over 110 in Vegas in summer and it usually snows once or twice a year in the winter.

I was advised to ask for as photo of the display, tell the guy you want to be able to read the miles. Then count the little bars. If you are missing 3 or 4, he suggests passing on the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I looked and test drove the leaf it was a 2015 and it was meh boring it was the Prius of EV lacked any sort of fun. Whilst it is more practical I just couldn’t stand the meager performance and the daft driving dynamics. The weird alien looks doesn’t help it’s cause either, just a awkward car. Yes I also heard battery thermal management was another thing I looked at and it lacked. While the 500e does have cooling and heating it is no where as comprehensive as what Tesla offers but it’s something. I heard not even the eGolf has active cooling, I read somewhere it’s not needed because they use some sort of special cobalt lithium mix that runs cooler? I dunno. When I start seeing cheaper 125 mile range 2017+ eGolf coming off lease dirt cheap might get that. It’s similar driving as the 500e plus slightly better range and fast charge included. We shall see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2015 500e with 41,000 miles and the original battery. At the 30K checkup I had them test the battery out of an abundance of caution, as I didn't want to get stuck anywhere, and it carried a full load then. Sure enough this year I was in a multi-story parking lot when it failed. No heads up, no pre-warning. I called AAA for a battery truck and in the lot they swapped it out and off I went. But the point was it lasted a really long time, and I should have not pushed my luck and just replaced it last year when it would have been more convenient.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,559 Posts
THANK YOU!!!

I now would advise any 500e driver with a 12V that's 3 or more years old* to make sure they have easy access to a jumpstart, whether that's AAA, a $30 portable jumpstarter, or someone who can bring cables at a moment's notice.

*My buddy's 2015 died in 2018.

I had seen at least one report of some sort of "Service 12V" warning at least a day or two prior to failure. My buddy didn't notice any warning before his suddenly died while he was in a store. I thought he just hadn't been paying enough attention. Now with your report it seems that we can't rely on any warning.

My 2013 with original 12V is still giving no warnings even at only 11.84V on OBD. It still starts the car fine but there's no way I'd ever leave home without my fully charged jumpstarter!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts