Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Thanks!

CORRECTIONS: Prepare for failure BEFORE 3 years*, with a TWENTY dollar jumpstarter.

*This thread's 2017 had already failed before March 2020

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Don: Please check for any sort of date on your 12V, which is usually the purchase date for warranty purposes. If you can find it, please also tell us the manufacture date of your car, so that we know how long the original lasted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don: Please check for any sort of date on your 12V, which is usually the purchase date for warranty purposes. If you can find it, please also tell us the manufacture date of your car, so that we know how long the original lasted.
I'll do that now.
Question: You charge with the EVSE in your garage? With the hood open? and the 'engine cover' off?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

The Warranty dates were not removed. The battery looks brand new. I found a plastic bag with an unused 'Vent Port' part inside. I'll bet the dealer replaced the battery before he turned it over to the wholesale dealer.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Crap! Thanks for checking, & we could at least ball-park the maximum age it could have been: How many months from the car's manufacture date on the back of the door, til when you bought it? (max stock 12v age if they replaced it right before you bought it)

You charge with the EVSE in your garage? With the hood open? and the 'engine cover' off?
Yes, yes, & yes.

The useless heavy engine cover is only good for keeping dust off whatever's been under it in my garage for the last 4.5+ years. I also removed the now-even-more-useless pegs that it used to clip onto.

The stock EVSE stays plugged into my rental garage's $0.69 outlet, in order not to wear it out.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to get my butt in gear & add a power strip. That way I can switch it off, & I can also unplug from the strip, without wearing out the $0.69 outlet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Date Of Manufacture: 01/17 - Hecho en Mexico. We bought it 3/13/20.

Actually I'm quite impressed with the "Fit and Finish" of the car. We really like the paint, we have that pearl white. True, the materials weren't the same quality as a BMW, but this car is a vast improvement of the cars Fiat Exported back in the early '60s. The old 500's had a little 500cc engine and like the Renaut, they were poorly made. They couldn't compete with the VW's in quality and the Freeway driving was nearly impossible.

We wrote a letter to the previous owner, (they left "Home" in the TomTom) and asked if they had any issues with the car in the three years they leased it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got a Carfax with the car. It came into the Costa Mesa Dealer in February '17.
Leased in March '17
Serviced at 20,000 miles June'19 - then 500 miles later, Tires balanced and rotated.
six months and 4,000 miles later:(24,561) Battery system checked and BATTERY REPLACED. (December '19)

Here's another question. "The car has Firestone Firehawks" on it. The tires have 5mm of tread, (which is about new) Those must have been replaced before the dealer turned it over to the wholesaler.
I'm waiting for what the old owner has to say.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Battery system checked and BATTERY REPLACED. (December '19)
THANKS! So 12V replacement required at 22 to 24 months.

Here's another question. "The car has Firestone Firehawks" on it. The tires have 5mm of tread, (which is about new) Those must have been replaced before the dealer turned it over to the wholesaler.
The OEM Firestone Firehawks spec 11/32" when new, which is 8.7mm. Both me and my (over-50 female!) friend wore completely through frequently-rotated stock tires in under 6k mi. They are pure crap, quite possibly the worst tire in the history of the universe. Poor grip AND poor wear. Usually you get one OR the other.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks.
6,000 miles on Firestone tires? I will keep an eye on them.

I wonder why this battery would fail at 2 years when there are so many other people that last longer. I put my battery charger on it. I don't get volts, but it shows 12v with the key off. Plugged in it shows a charge, and with the EVSE plug out and the key 'On' it shows a charge. I have a meter here someplace, I'll try tomorrow and get some numbers.
Maybe I should buy an OBD2 scanner.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
I wonder why this battery would fail at 2 years
HEAT!

After charging for a few minutes, carefully put your hand on the onboard charger on the passenger side of the 12V.

On L1 that heat is radiating the 12v about FIVE TIMES as long as a gas car (5 x as long as you're driving)

Let the heat out by opening the hood.

Or don't, & replace your 12v every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
HEAT!

After charging for a few minutes, carefully put your hand on the onboard charger on the passenger side of the 12V.

On L1 that heat is radiating the 12v about FIVE TIMES as long as a gas car (5 x as long as you're driving)

Let the heat out by opening the hood.

Or don't, & replace your 12v every 2 or 3 years.
what heat? Opening the hood after a 40 mile freeway drive it’s barely just warm under the hood not anything near as hot as my gasser gets under the same circumstances. It does however get warmer under the hood if you run the AC with the rad fan warmer air from the condenser but still not as hot as any gasser. Just checked the heat after all night charging on the rental and honestly it’s not that hot under there as a matter of fact I think it’s under favorable conditions with temps under hood being 77deg on a 52 degree night. Maybe L2 charge would get much hotter?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
I’m at a level 2 Volta charger right now and it’s pretty warm but not hot enough to burn me. I don’t think it’s significant enough heat to kill a battery. I think driving the car regularly keeps it alive . Seriously tho it’s only enough heat to keep it around warm at best not bad as under the hood of my golf which feels like a 10,000 watt heater to the face. The battery doesn’t like too cold either it likes room temps and I think that charger keeps is pretty close to that on a cold night.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
It may not be as hot as a gasser, but it seems to be at least barely hot enough to prematurely age it during the prolonged periods it spends charging, based on some known factors , & evidence:

500e 12V should last LONGER than a gasser, since it:
  • Has less heat while driving.
  • Constantly charges at full voltage whenever the key is on AND whenever the car is charging.
  • Has much less current draw during starting.

HOWEVER reports indicate it generally does NOT last longer, so charger heat seems to be what's killing them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It may not be as hot as a gasser, but it seems to be at least barely hot enough to prematurely age it during the prolonged periods it spends charging, based on some known factors , & evidence:

500e 12V should last LONGER than a gasser, since it:
  • Has less heat while driving.
  • Constantly charges at full voltage whenever the key is on AND whenever the car is charging.
  • Has much less current draw during starting.
HOWEVER reports indicate it generally does NOT last longer, so charger heat seems to be what's killing them.
Could also be that the people who owned these cars don’t drive it as much as others, live in cold climates, or other factors. My 2017 original battery showing 510cca still out of the 540 rated at room temp. So I think it still has some life left. I wonder if removing the engine cover which kind of access an umbrella for any heat will improve any of its lifespan. I took mine off as soon as I bought it I thought it was a hideous cover I think it looks more cool with everything exposed. It’s just dead weight anyways

21 - 40 of 69 Posts