Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Agreed on motor cover! Sure cant hurt to delete.

Just driving HALF as much would still match that aspect of longevity: Since even L2 takes about as long to recharge as the length of time it just drove, a 500e 12V lead-acid batt gets a life-extending active charge for at least TWICE as long as it is driven, at full voltage too, unlike some alternators at idle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Any thoughts on one of these Lithium-Ion Jumpstarters? I see some for $60-$80 ~ 500amp to 2,000amp. They claim you need to refresh the charge every 3-6 months. Since Lithium batteries don't like the heat, what do you think of carrying one in the boot next to the air compressor?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
Any thoughts on one of these Lithium-Ion Jumpstarters? I see some for $60-$80 ~ 500amp to 2,000amp. They claim you need to refresh the charge every 3-6 months. Since Lithium batteries don't like the heat, what do you think of carrying one in the boot next to the air compressor?
buy the same kit I got for $59 on eBay totally worth it I used it already once on my VW which the battery crap the Bed few months ago. It has compressor and jumper and misc adapter to use on phones etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2016 Fiat 500e just got the 12V failure warning today (July 4th 2020, so it lasted ~4 years). I hadn't used the car in about a week and it drained past the point of starting. Well I knew from these forums that this would eventually occur so I had been researching a replacement 12V battery for a long time. I decided on the Antigravity's Lithium Ion H5/Group-47 24 AH Car battery. I know there are cheaper alternatives out there, I justified the cost using Vulcan-style-logic and thinking about # of replacements, worst-case scenarios like getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, towing bills, and missing work. This one in particular is a direct replacement using the existing battery terminals. The dimensions and AH rating match the OEM lead-acid battery... I thought why not? The only obvious disadvantage is about 4x the cost. As of today there's a 15% off code for the 4th of July (look for the code at the top of their webpage if anyone is interested). It saved me $99. I'm too ashamed to admit how much I spent in total but it was time to buy a new battery lol.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
Someone on another 500 forum had a Li-ion 12V fail from overcharging, so in order to reduce the time the 12V is being charged, try to use L2 as much as possible, since then it's charging the 12V for a shorter period. It's already being constantly charged the whole time you're driving. Also avoid parking with the key on, for the same reason.

As you know, Li-ion is also heat-sensitive like the OEM lead-acid, so it's still a good idea to charge as much as possible in shade, underground, night, preferably with the hood open & the motor cover stored safely in the back of a closet. Maybe even stick a piece of styrofoam in the small gap between the 12V & the hot electronics box like I did.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@Electric Tire Shredder For the overcharging issue, Antigravity advertises a BMS (Battery Management System) in their 12V car batteries, which is supposed to prevent over and under-charging. I have read that some BMS's don't work as advertised resulting in damage; Antigravity claims this is not the case with their BMS and I have yet to see any negative reviews about that. They have a 5-year warranty for 12V car batteries so I should be good until at least 2025. I hope. The estimated lifetime is 8 to 12 years.

@abenusa like other lithium ion batteries it cannot charge if frozen. It should still be possible to remove the battery (the 24AH option weighs 8.5 pounds) so it doesn't freeze in the car; and charge it inside where it's warm. There are lithium-ion battery chargers for sale that can do this from a wall outlet.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
5-year warranty is nice, even if it's pro-rated. I hope you don't need it, but it can't hurt to try to follow my advice above, since...:

It was actually an Antigravity batt that failed in a 500*, although it's not exactly clear that it wasn't actually in the user's gas 500. He has gas & EV, but never replied to my question on that. It WAS a slightly older Antigrav, & supposedly they've now updated the BMS.

It failed by bloating, which is apparently nearly always caused by overcharge. Antigravity specs say 14.7V max. Unlike a gas car that may only go over 14V on the freeway, my 500e puts out 14.06V the whole time the key is on, AND 14.34V the whole time it's charging. That's ideal for a lead-acid, but not for Li-ion, holding it nearly constantly at what is about 94% SOC for Antigrav's lithium-iron-phosphate chemistry.

I don't know if the failure included any freezing, but as noted, the 500e applies over 14V whenever the key is on or the car is charging, even when it's below freezing. However, if its voltage doesn't drop while parked, that "charging" may not be actually pumping any electrons in, which might mean that's okay. Still couldn't hurt to at least get an insulator cover for it.

* Has anyone considered a lightweight 12v battery? - Page 5

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed a Group 47/H5 Antigravity 12V battery replacement this morning. Perfect fit, direct replacement using the same connectors attached to the old OEM lead-acid battery. Shipping was from California, via FedEx ground. I confirmed it weighed 8.5 lbs to the OEM 32 lbs (3.86 kg to 14.5 kg). A savings of 23.5 lbs (10.66 kg).

I've left the engine cover off like Electric Tire Shredder suggested and confirmed it weighed 3.3 pounds with my Post Office scale. So total weight savings I've managed so far is 26.8 lbs (12.16 kg).

Eventually, I plan to remove the rear seats which should save another ~47 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
With such a nice battery, I would try to shield it from the hot electronics box next to it, like I did with my OEM. On L2 it gets so hot I can barely touch it, so I stuck a sheet of styrofoam insulation in between:

Foam 12V Shield.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
719 Posts
I just installed a Group 47/H5 Antigravity 12V battery replacement this morning. Perfect fit, direct replacement using the same connectors attached to the old OEM lead-acid battery. Shipping was from California, via FedEx ground. I confirmed it weighed 8.5 lbs to the OEM 32 lbs (3.86 kg to 14.5 kg). A savings of 23.5 lbs (10.66 kg).

I've left the engine cover off like Electric Tire Shredder suggested and confirmed it weighed 3.3 pounds with my Post Office scale. So total weight savings I've managed so far is 26.8 lbs (12.16 kg).

Eventually, I plan to remove the rear seats which should save another ~47 lbs.
That built in jump starter will save your bacon some day such a nice feature To have. Also having a piece of styofoam like that hanging around like that just looks like it’s asking for a fire hazard even if you think things don’t get that hot. I’d suggest a VW H5 battery blanket instead they are like $14 on eBay. Part# 5N0915411E

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thx for the recommendations. Yes I noticed the heat coming from the onboard charger, so glad that Electric Tire Shredder mentioned it. Has anyone tried taking the temperature of that box at 110V charging, 220V, 240V - Level 2, etc.? It would make sense that it gets hotter the higher the voltage. I might try measuring it tonight with a digital thermometer just to confirm. If 110V charging results in negligible temps then I might use that during the summer. I'm thinking a fan pointed at the area while charging is ideal.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
I have heated that standard type of EPS (expanded polystyrene) foam to higher & higher temperatures without a flame, & WAY before it catches fire it will melt, & that hasn't ever even begun to happen a tiny little bit, even on L2 with 113F on the display.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thx for the recommendations. Yes I noticed the heat coming from the onboard charger, so glad that Electric Tire Shredder mentioned it. Has anyone tried taking the temperature of that box at 110V charging, 220V, 240V - Level 2, etc.? It would make sense that it gets hotter the higher the voltage. I might try measuring it tonight with a digital thermometer just to confirm. If 110V charging results in negligible temps then I might use that during the summer. I'm thinking a fan pointed at the area while charging is ideal.
Might be irrelevant in reality. Like on a L2 might get hotter but the duration is much much shorter as it finishes charging faster. So youlol have to Look at it like this, 4hrs of 240v heat or 20hrs of 110v heat which is worse?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,238 Posts
It definitely gets much hotter when ambient is higher, & hotter on L2 than L1, but the problem there for Li-ion is the latter exposes it to about 5 times the duration at over 14 volts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,
I my car started to act up yesterday i got the Yellow Taletalle sign, then power died. I removed the battery connections, to reset the system. After a few trys, the car came back on. But this time with the propulsion warning light! I went to bed, turned it on this morning no issues. Drove to work, then i needed to get coffee. I turned the car on and it gave me the battery low, turn it off then back on gave me the propulsion warning light. Now the Taletalle warning light. Do i need a new battery? from what i read it seems like i do?? if so what battery do i get?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hello,
I my car started to act up yesterday i got the Yellow Taletalle sign, then power died. I removed the battery connections, to reset the system. After a few trys, the car came back on. But this time with the propulsion warning light! I went to bed, turned it on this morning no issues. Drove to work, then i needed to get coffee. I turned the car on and it gave me the battery low, turn it off then back on gave me the propulsion warning light. Now the Taletalle warning light. Do i need a new battery? from what i read it seems like i do?? if so what battery do i get?
Any H5 group battery from the auto parts store will work.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Even a recently-"deceased" 12V from a gas car or motorbike will work, as long as you can get it hooked up. I used $18 adapters on a $20 motorbike batt (blue switch knob seems unnecessary so far, see forum thread link below pics*):

View attachment 109309 View attachment 109310

* Tiny $20 12V Battery Works! (& saves 38 Pounds)
Do keep in mine the amp draw in your situation is less then a typical e. You don’t have a functioning EPS since you pulled the fuse and EPS plus brake accumulator coming on and off might overwhelm the tiny battery which isn’t designed for a heavy draw (motorcycle battery is made just for starting since there isn’t any accessory draw) not to mention possibly a short life span since it’s not meant to have high charge current like the e’s DC to DC converter puts out, typically bike puts out 4-500 watts into the battery at driving speeds.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts