Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
773 Posts
Lately my commute home looks like this so I need all of the aero I can get lol. The pedal was buried to the floor.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
773 Posts
Now I'm curious if it will let you set cruise to 90 (on a decline or while drafting)
Tried that. It won’t not let you exceed even downhill it just cuts any power going to the motor and just show -kw regen even floored. Now I suppose if the hill is steep and long enough it might force the motor beyond 88mph but from what I’ve tried it’s a hard limit set to not exceed regardless of hill or flat roads. I’m guess it has something to do with motors rpm speed limits? I really feels like she’s got more pep to go beyond 100mph. Not sure how fast the motor is spinning at 88mph but I believe we have one of the most extreme reduction gearbox at 9.6:1 most EV are way less then that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I’ve always wondered which consumes more power/kw rpm vs load. Like does a electric motor consume more power with a taller gear at a lower rpm/more load vs spinning faster/less load. I’ve wondered the same on gas powered cars as newer cars have taller and taller gears I sometimes wonder if going taller consumes more gas/kw vs rpm/load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
6.3% gain over the Pop putting it at 0.311 Cd which isn't great. For context the Bolts lead designer said their 2016 models 0.32 Cd was "a disaster." Most EVs and eco conscious vehicles do better and every one I looked at has a mostly if not perfect flat belly. Beyond the belly and grille I suspect the problem is more with the front shape which is much harder to change.
Room for improvement for sure then. I don’t know what kind of budget they set for aero during development but I do know that Fiat was tied to an already existing design unlike Bolt. and that a lot of that budget was spent on vehicle architecture. They also knew they would loose money on each one so i give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did good with what they could in the aero. Each cars shape is different and they had their aero targets to meet. I agree the shape here is challenging, this car is a stubby little shoe with iconic design so your options are limited without covering the wheels and removing mirrors and door handles and that would all add cost. That’s too bad about the Bolt. That is an all new design so bad planning somewhere. Was there any aero improvements done to the Ford Focus E or the Golf E? Maybe they covered the bottom on those to meet their targets? Or maybe they where already aero enough.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So today I decided to reset my trip meter as I got on the on-ramp of the freeway the temperature is about 64° on average freeway cruising speed with 72 mph but towards the end on the 405 I got a little foggy so I had to slow down just a little bit to 60-65mph. The end result was 4.9mile/KW which to me is outstanding given the surface street driving was taken out of the equation. There was no drafting technique used as cars were spaced fairly far apart. Only mod to my car is it’s lowered. I don’t even think a modern Tesla pulls 4.9mi/kw on the freeway at those speeds. I know my neighbor down the way says his 2017 model S struggles to hold 3.6mi/KW.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I fabbed the under tray for the front over the weekend. So far it's hard to tell if it's helping aero wise, but it seems to have quieted down the road noise coming from the front a little bit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Twinturboz, there is some magic in your 500e :cool:

San Diego seems to be too hilly to get those kind of numbers. I still wonder if there is something about the alignment on your car that helps with those efficiency numbers? Even before you lowered it you were getting some really great efficiencies.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Twinturboz, there is some magic in your 500e :cool:

San Diego seems to be too hilly to get those kind of numbers. I still wonder if there is something about the alignment on your car that helps with those efficiency numbers? Even before you lowered it you were getting some really great efficiencies.
I’m just getting started, I’m aiming to get 5.5-6.0mile/kw once I clad her undersides up.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Mirrors supposedly cause a LOT of drag, so I had a kind of crazy idea about that: Last time I read the Ca Vehicle Code there was no legal size requirement. It just has to show a view of something like 100' behind you. So just a bottle-cap-sized one on the left should be legal. Then for actual viewing rig up an always-on backup camera or 2, like this VW XL 1:

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
..open spoked wheels pull air from underneath the car, swirl it, then release it out the sides, destroying the smooth flow of air down the side of the car. This is why EV wheels tend to have minimal openings.
I wonder about (black?) corruplast discs to streamline our light, spoked wheels, since we have the advantage of needing no brake cooling airflow.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts