Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it might sound like a stretch, but.

Anybody tried to use a 500e as a ski-hill commuter?

What is the best way to get skis in / on it? Was it practical?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When conditions allow I use mine to access Big & Little Cottonwood skiing from Salt Lake. Skis up to ~180cm, maybe a little longer, fit down the middle no problem. Don't like ski racks much around here anyways because of all the road salt (not an issue many other places).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I took 194 cm skis home inside the car. Wasn't too comfortable, but 1 kid would still fit.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,180 Posts
In other hatchbacks I've always just done that. They sometimes take a bit of the passenger's legroom but nobody complains when the ride is free. In snow it's sometimes nice to have the handbrake accessible, if you can manage that with a bit more passenger discomfort when you tell them it's for their own safety.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any set of Thule bars in appropriate length + Thule foot pack 754 + kit 141856 (for steel roof - there is another set for glass roof) + short roof adaptor 774.
Then You are good to go - eh; drive ;o)
As you are using Thule bars (recommend Wingbars), ski holders, kayak holders, roof boxes - anything can be used.
Works perfect - rear bar is as solidly mounted as on any 4 door car.
And yes - salt is a killer for skis - don't forget that it's not only your steel edges that suffer - at least that is visibel and you can grind it of. Much worse is what you don't see: what the salt does to your bindings !
So I can only recommend a roof box - it saves you the most money in the long run ;o)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,180 Posts
THANKS FOR THE NUMBERS, JESPER!! I didn't see 500e on Thule.com any more!

My 500e co-worker got a Thule rack, & didn't need the SRA (short roof adaptor), even for 12-foot standup paddleboards at low speed.

Before he got it I showed him a pic of another brand that came with a tool like a blank credit card to flex open the rubber quarter window seals to mount the rear bars behind the door, so he decided to try that before paying extra for the ugly, heavy, awkward SRA. It worked fine so he left it like that & never took it off:

With the aero bars he said he didn't even notice a range loss, but he drove mostly city like me.

Dan's Thule.jpg

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,180 Posts
Be prepared for lots of enquiries. He said tons of people asked him about his, having previously thought it wouldn't fit a rack (even though the front mount is clearly visible just by opening the door!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts