Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your experience of driving on icy roads with 500E? Lately in my area the highways aren't maintained that well, so quite often I get a 50 km of pretty much a skating rink.

And with that, I'm not very impressed - the longitudinal stability of the vehicle is not that good, back of the car keeps trying to slide away, there's quite a bit of wheel spin on uphill starts or accelerations, even when with the foot completely light. Anything above 50 km/h does not feel too safe.

Snow is much better. Although the ESC is a joke, quite often it's much better with it off.

So could it be the general short wheel base and lightweight issues, or maybe it's just the tires (I have Hankook winters which at least visually are okay).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haven’t had the pleasure to drive 500e on ice but it’s disappointing on fresh rained slimy roads. Too much torque and not enough traction comes to mind as a way to describe how it performs on slippery surfaces.

The car is relatively heavy and the motor torque comes on strong. Fortunately, it's front wheel drive so it doesn't try to swap ends but torque steer wheel spin definitely comes on quick.

This is one area switchable performance power modes might be helpful.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hankook I*Cept tires are rated great on snow, not so much on ice. Their all weathers, being a compromise, aren't as good for either. For ice, Blizzak and X-Ice are the current champs, the X-Ice getting better wear and dry road performance, the Blizzak slightly better on ice and snow.

I was going to slap a set of those on my 500, but it is useless in moderate snow. We average 3" of snow a year, but years we get snow, it comes down heavy. Last year I high centered backing out of my drive way in 6".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Hankook I*Pike. They're even "studdable", are are supposed to perform well on ice / snow. I got them with a set of wheels, so maybe the rubber compound is just old and stiff.

Speaking about studs, I was thinking about that as well, but it does not seem practical. We usually have a week or two of ice, and other than that it's just wet or dry asphalt, often with warm temperatures, so half of the studs are usually gone by the end of season one. Plus, they considerably increase the rolling resistance, so bye-bye range.

The question remains: is it more the small and (comparatively) light car, or bad tires? Anybody has experience with Blizzaks or X-Ice, or studs on the 500?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have experience with them on the 500e, but the Blizzaks are a great winter tire on snow and ice. Hopefully some of the members from colder climates will chime in. There are quite a few on this board.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I*Pikes aren't listed on US sites where they show reviews. Where I found them, people liked them on some trucks, not so much on cars. (I have no experience with that brand.) Maybe it's time to practice up on your slides? (Turn sound off to convert this to a 4WD 500e. :unsure: )

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't have experience with them on the 500e, but the Blizzaks are a great winter tire on snow and ice. Hopefully some of the members from colder climates will chime in. There are quite a few on this board.
My Blizzaks have been fine in snow and ice as long on the 500e as long as you're not gunning the pedal. You should do the brake calibration procedure if you have sticky blended brakes though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Blizzaks have been fine in snow and ice as long on the 500e as long as you're not gunning the pedal. You should do the brake calibration procedure if you have sticky blended brakes though.
I'd say the braking is fine, it's just when you're on icy highway the car is trying to wiggle it's butt. I checked the DOT number however and it seems that the tires are made in 2012, so there's a good chance that the compound is significantly stiffer than it should be. For the next season I'll maybe try the Blizzaks or the X-Ice (it seems that these have the lowest rolling resistance, and local dealers are suggesting them for EVs) and see what happens.

The torque steering and short wheelbase will still be here, but hopefully the tires will improve it at least a bit. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
If the best tires happen to have the "lowest rolling resistance", fine, but I would not compromise traction for it. This is based on personal experience of replacing the stock "low resistance" tires with plain ones, with no range loss at all.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
On some DRY road surfaces mine will "wiggle its butt" a bit, to different degrees depending on wheel alignment*, tire pressure (maybe try adjusting that), & tread depth (last resort you could have the tire shop shave them). Maybe one or more of those factors is in play, & accentuated by the ice.

*I hit a curb & messed mine up & the wiggling was worse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I lived in the great Soviet midwest the only reliable way to deal with ice with any vehicle was to use some form of steel on the tires. Studs, chains or my eventual favorite - strap on steel cleats which passed through the wheel and quickly attached using nylon strap. Not meant for long distances or high speeds but easy on/off for bad spots along the road.

Oh, liquid bleach temporarily helps too but gotta be careful about getting on clothing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have Blizzaks (WS90's, I think) on my 500e. I've been very happy with them. I agree with the general feedback that it's easy to make them spin if you're heavy on the accelerator. I notice wheel-spin from a stop a lot more in the 500e than in my Honda HR-V, which also has WS80 Blizzaks. My HR-V is AWD though, so not a very fair comparison. I notice very little sliding while making a turn or coming to a stop. Mostly just slippage during take-off or moderate/heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've driven my 500e in 3 pretty hefty snow/ice storms since i've owned it (1 yr). I plow snow at my work, so when there's a big storm I'm usually out before the plows are.

I run snow tires on the factory wheels, and run rear wheels on the front(wider on the front) for balance.

The only thing I notice with the 500e vs my other cars (subaru imprezas, toyota camry) is that in icy conditions I need to be more careful with the quick application of throttle to prevent wheelspin (and wasting of battery)
other than that, when sliding, it's very predictable, mostly understeering unless on the brakes or some other reason for it to have the weight transfered forwards. I've only had the rear come out once where i've had to drastically countersteer to correct, and that was getting annoyed with someone doing 5mph for 2 blocks, then being able to pass them just before taking a 90deg right turn onto a crossing road (accelerating heavy, then braking heavy with turn in)

I'm confident that my 500e can run in any snow below the headlight level, and would be plenty fine with driving it after ice storms. given ONE condition. I drive when most other people AREN'T driving. meaning I don't have to worry about other idiots without snow tires, or others reacting to people being stupid and causing more issues. (4am vs 8am)

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I had my 500e, I stayed home during the few icy days near Portland, Oregon.

Where I did have trouble was trying to climb a STEEP loose gravel driveway. I lost forward momentum and had to back down this particular driveway. Then, the brakes would lockup with virtually no pedal pressure and came uncomfortably close to backing into the ditch. Decided I didn’t really need to visit that farm. This was with the standard eco tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I had my 500e, I stayed home during the few icy days near Portland, Oregon.

Where I did have trouble was trying to climb a STEEP loose gravel driveway. I lost forward momentum and had to back down this particular driveway. Then, the brakes would lockup with virtually no pedal pressure and came uncomfortably close to backing into the ditch. Decided I didn’t really need to visit that farm. This was with the standard eco tires.
Been there, done that, although on a snowy steep driveway. This might be the "hill start assist" bug / feature. I think eventually the reverse gear helped to get the control back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is your experience of driving on icy roads with 500E? Lately in my area the highways aren't maintained that well, so quite often I get a 50 km of pretty much a skating rink.

And with that, I'm not very impressed - the longitudinal stability of the vehicle is not that good, back of the car keeps trying to slide away, there's quite a bit of wheel spin on uphill starts or accelerations, even when with the foot completely light. Anything above 50 km/h does not feel too safe.

Snow is much better. Although the ESC is a joke, quite often it's much better with it off.

So could it be the general short wheel base and lightweight issues, or maybe it's just the tires (I have Hankook winters which at least visually are okay).

·
Registered
8 Posts
GENTLEMAN (and maybe ladies?)

This is the WORST CAR EVER IN SNOW AND OR ICE! I work in New England and live in NYC; and at the slightest change of snow, I take public transport or work from home. Even my 1980 Cinquecento was better than this on in winder weather. I think that like someone said inhere, could be that the engne has too much power for the weight of the car. This was a car designed for a 900/1000 c.c. engine like the one they sell in Europe. Because we have to have everything bigger here, they put the 1.4 MultiAir which is for the 500X or Renegade. SO just enjoy the torque on dry weather.

Did you get the recall for the transmission? It is very important that you do it. My transmission has been failing for over a year now and nobody could figure out what it was. I hope this recall fixes it. I won't know until the summer because it only fails on Humid & Hot weather. (yes I am not joking) Fix It Again Tony (FIAT); next car will be french or german

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure if you're mistaken, but this thread is about the electric version of the Fiat 500.

GENTLEMAN (and maybe ladies?)

This is the WORST CAR EVER IN SNOW AND OR ICE! I work in New England and live in NYC; and at the slightest change of snow, I take public transport or work from home. Even my 1980 Cinquecento was better than this on in winder weather. I think that like someone said inhere, could be that the engne has too much power for the weight of the car. This was a car designed for a 900/1000 c.c. engine like the one they sell in Europe. Because we have to have everything bigger here, they put the 1.4 MultiAir which is for the 500X or Renegade. SO just enjoy the torque on dry weather.

Did you get the recall for the transmission? It is very important that you do it. My transmission has been failing for over a year now and nobody could figure out what it was. I hope this recall fixes it. I won't know until the summer because it only fails on Humid & Hot weather. (yes I am not joking) Fix It Again Tony (FIAT); next car will be french or german

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
I think that like someone said inhere, could be that the engne has too much power for the weight of the car...Did you get the recall for the transmission? My ... next car will be french or german
This forum is for German (powered) cars, with no "engine" or traditional transmission to need recall. They're also heavier, BUT with much more instantly-available torque than gas versions. They may even have more power per pound, HOWEVER that can't be the only issue, since my 2500Lb 300HP V8 240Z was GREAT in snow & ice (with studs).

I think it was at PushEVs.com where someone from Norway commented how great the 500e is "in the winter".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts