Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017, 500e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought our 2017 500e 6 weeks ago. The 120V outlets in our home threw 311 errors after a short charging period from the very beginning. The 311 error indicates a problem with the ground. We then plugged it into the 240V outlet at our clothes dryer (with home made conversion) and got along fine until 3 days ago. Then the 311 error came back intermittently. We noticed the plug end to the power source (not at car end) had a contact that seemed to have been bent and straitened back out again. So we changed the plug and we are back charging consistently once again.

I mention this because it can be hard to resolve intermittent problems - perhaps this will help the next guy.

So far I really like the car. In fact, this is the only car I've ever owned that I really do like. It's fast and so much fun to drive. We've adjusted to taking drives of up to 70 miles before recharging. It took a while, but we're much more relaxed with the range limit now.

BTW, our clothes dryer is gas so we didn't need the electrical outlet. Hah!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Thanks for the tip, & welcome to the club: It's my favorite daily-driver of all time too.

Fortunately, replacing the stock charge-cord's wall plug is a very cheap, easy DIY fix, but it's not uncommon, since it seems to be its weakest part, sometimes getting hot enough to melt, but none have been reported to catch fire yet.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, & welcome to the club: It's my favorite daily-driver of all time too.

Fortunately, replacing the stock charge-cord's wall plug is a very cheap, easy DIY fix, but it's not uncommon, since it seems to be its weakest part, sometimes getting hot enough to melt, but none have been reported to catch fire yet.
Is it common for the ring to separate from the car plug?

·
Registered
2017, 500e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what the other end of the cord looks like with our fix - the black plug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts