Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's what I have!

205/50/15 on light Koenig 15 x 7 "Advanti" 4x100 rims*, BUT with 35mm offset & they still clear, (pic attached below), even without bending the handbrake cable bracket or bending/cutting the unused bracket.

6.5" rim width WOULD be even lighter AND allow for some even lighter (but narrower) tire choices, but when I was shopping they only made 7" rims. The only reasonably-priced rims I found that were lighter were Enkei RPF1 but they were over $200 more per set so I couldn't justify that to save 1 lb per corner & not look as good to me.

*with floating-cone ("wobble") bolts that are long enough for America's Tire approval.

Rear left tire, where clearance is tightest. Click to enlarge:
View attachment 108871
Dude I love how the little tire vent spues are like hitting on the parking brake cable. Nice fitment.

I think I was mis-remembering my offsets I believe a little bit more like 30-35mm was what I was looking for....

I always had trouble finding 15x7 widths mostly what's available is 15x6.5 I'd love to find a set of Kosei K-1s but not sure they fit the car.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
Dude I love how the little tire vent spues are like hitting on the parking brake cable. Nice fitment.

I think I was mis-remembering my offsets I believe a little bit more like 30-35mm was what I was looking for....

I always had trouble finding 15x7 widths mostly what's available is 15x6.5 I'd love to find a set of Kosei K-1s but not sure they fit the car.
Tire rack sells the K1 Kosei $105 each in sizes from 15x6.5 all the way to 15x8 in white, silver or black. Miata fitment

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Tire Rack also supply floating-seat ("wobble") bolts, which in MY case were long enough for 8 full turns of thread engagement, so America's tire could work on it without me having to remove/install the wheels on/off the car myself.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
, but those K1s are considerably heavier AND more expensive then the Advanti Storms I got from GoodWinRacing (Miata fitment)
It’s still lighter then stock and plus some people buy wheel for aesthetics reasons. If it looks good to you and also lighter why not? These wheels make me drool though...

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
15 x EIGHT with 25 offset would clear*, & there are some 205/50/15s that allow 8" rims, so they should clear too (not all 205s are the same width).

Per this thread's "handling" subject, unsprung weight is supposedly critical (& rotational weight, for acceleration & braking):
  • 39 pounds for 4 Enkei 15x7 RPF1s
  • 44 pounds for 4 Advanti 15x7 Storms
  • 52 pounds for 4 Kosei 15x7 K1s
  • 69 pounds for stock set (15x5.5F & 6.5R)
That said, I haven't really NOTICED any difference (including city range) with my lighter Storms, on which I also mounted lighter-than-stock tires. Acceleration may be slightly better, but I no longer have access to one with stock wheels.

* 500e RIM backspacing limit is about 6", & these 8" rims have 4.98", just 0.1" more than my own rims.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like those wheels just ain’t springing that sort of money into a cheap $6k commuter car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The k-1s are not as light but they are stronger than like a koenig Helium for instance. TE37 would be dope but that's a lot of money to throw at a wheel on a car like this.

Still on the stock firestones here at 17k I have one rotation left I think but the rears haven't been swapped in awhile. I can now tell how heavy the stock wheels are though so its going to bother me until I fix it.

I think new tires will cure my 1 wheel peel issue mostly. I feel like if you beat on this car too much with aging tires you could potentially find some weak links in the suspension/steering/chassis. What breaks first ?

·
Registered
507 Posts
The k-1s are not as light but they are stronger than like a koenig Helium for instance. TE37 would be dope but that's a lot of money to throw at a wheel on a car like this.

Still on the stock firestones here at 17k I have one rotation left I think but the rears haven't been swapped in awhile. I can now tell how heavy the stock wheels are though so its going to bother me until I fix it.

I think new tires will cure my 1 wheel peel issue mostly. I feel like if you beat on this car too much with aging tires you could potentially find some weak links in the suspension/steering/chassis. What breaks first ?
Not sure rotating helps as the wheels are different size front and rear, they also put pins to prevent them being rotated but you can remove them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My theory is it will understeer less that seems to be the consensus.

But it will get less stable at high speeds. I've felt the car is more stable at highway speeds than I expected given the wheelbase even with quick lane changes. Also it tends to understeer more than i would expect based on how I feel the weight in the car.

Initially I was partially blame it on the steering which is slow and vague but its wider rear rims that I'm feeling most. I had not realized that.

Also my wheelspin situation should go away with a tire rotation as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Also does anyone think the seating position in these cars is insane? not at all driver oriented?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also does anyone think the seating position in these cars is insane? not at all driver oriented?
Not many cars these days are “driver” oriented, it’s pretty much a cheap interior but it suffices. I hate how all the hard plastics have huge gaps between panels just looks super shoddy. I have to constantly remind myself despite its $32k price and sub 80s Korean car quality it was designed to be a cheap cheerful city car. I find it odd how high the seating is, sometimes feels like I’m driving a van or suv.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Seating is fine for me. I like the height for better vision.

The car's only handling aspects that bug me a bit are for sharp 90-degree right-hand turns the steering is just barely too slow to leave my hands on the wheel, & on some really harsh local speedbumps the rear end bounces a bit more than I think it should.

The latter would be easily fixed with properly-spec'ed shocks. The former might be only slightly harder with a few Abarth parts: Apparently they're 2.3 turns lock-to-lock compared to our 3.0 spec.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The rack will be tricky as it would need to have the steering computer from the abarth since steering angle Input Etc would be all out of wack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
On the lowest setting for the seat and still too high for my taste and I still have like 3" of heardroom. Would easily fit with helmet for auto-x I checked. My helmet is probably timed out.

And wtf is up w/ that center console? The shifter butress is entirely unnecessary and Its exactly where my right leg wants to live. I may chop it and try to move the PRND and just reinstall it up in between the window switches. Would free up a lot of space and yes its just cheap plastic.

the pedal box is bad also I am used to econo boxes but its not the worst.

I can never get the relationship between the steering wheel and my hands to meet up remotely with legs and the pedals. Oddly enough I think its improved my posture and core strength but the car just doesn't fit me

The utter ****-boxiness of this car really does make my inner child giggle. There are a lot of soul-less cars out there and this is not one of them. But a lot of melon-scratchers while I'm letting my inner child hoon on this chassis.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I’m on the fence about the 500madness lowering springs for the 500e specific it might be too low and not sure how crappy it might ride with stock shocks.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts