Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Fiat 500e
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I've been lurking for a while and enjoying my 2015 500e. I am an electronics tech by trade and am working on a home power system. I think it would be wonderful to reuse 500e parts (from a wreck) in the home and was wondering... Has anyone created a high-voltage system block diagram? I'd like to know how the power flows throughout the vehicle to see what can be repurposed. I would also like to know where control of the HVAC system and the power electronics for the compressor resides. Speaking of the HVAC system, is it AC and electric heat? Or is there heat-pump functionality?

I've done some searching and found a thread on documenting the CAN messaging which I think will be helpful, but not much on the HV system. Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
The only things I've seen that might help a little bit are:

- Apparently there is no heat pump, just an electric resistance heater.

- It seems like all the HV wiring* & plugs/sockets are orange, so it might not be all that hard to trace the systems yourself.

*Including the 300-400V system (drive battery, inverter, motor, A/C compressor) & also the 100-250V system (chargeport & onboard charger).

·
Registered
2013 500e
135 Posts
I'd like to have a wiring diagram like that myself.
Here are a couple of things I've found useful:
The "Chrysler Academy" training manual for Fiat techs. It's officially called the "Fiat 500e Battery Electric Vehicle Operation and Diagnosis"
Unfortunately it's too big to upload here. Ideas anyone? I'd be happy to share it.

The other resource is a bunch of videos posted about EV's in general on "Evolving World" channel. He does a complete teardown of a 500e and blogs everything. Good pics of whats going on.
This should link to the battery pack teardown:
battery pack teardown

P.S. Are you connected in any way to Road Race Engineering or Road Race Motorsports?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The "Fiat 500e Battery Electric Vehicle Operation and Diagnosis" you mentioned has quite a bit of useful information, even if it doesn't have an explicit diagram. It should be possible to largely generate such a diagram from this book. I have a paper copy of the manual (I think it cost 30 bucks or so from Fiat), but I'd love to have a PDF for convenience; I was actually planning to scan mine one of these days. If you find another place to post it, that would sure be handy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like to have a wiring diagram like that myself.
Here are a couple of things I've found useful:
The "Chrysler Academy" training manual for Fiat techs. It's officially called the "Fiat 500e Battery Electric Vehicle Operation and Diagnosis"
Unfortunately it's too big to upload here. Ideas anyone? I'd be happy to share it.

The other resource is a bunch of videos posted about EV's in general on "Evolving World" channel. He does a complete teardown of a 500e and blogs everything. Good pics of whats going on.
This should link to the battery pack teardown:
battery pack teardown

P.S. Are you connected in any way to Road Race Engineering or Road Race Motorsports?
Get a free Dropbox account and upload it there.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat 500e
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to see the training materials. I second the Dropbox suggestion.

I've seen Evolving World on YouTube. I find that guy rather annoying as he seems to not know very much about what he's doing.

I am not associated with Road Race Engineering or Road Race Motorsports, but there is a race car in the garage and I'll bet you can guess my first name.

·
Registered
2013 500e
135 Posts
Yeah, agree regarding Evolving World. However there are some good visuals about how stuff fits together. Patience with sound off. LOL :)
I'm looking into a "dropbox" account. The official company charges more than $10/month. I have personal policy not to get stuck with "low" monthly payments and not to get stuck with things that are free for a limited time. I did that with a photo sharing site, and I'm a bit more careful now.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
876 Posts
I would love to see the training materials. I second the Dropbox suggestion.

I've seen Evolving World on YouTube. I find that guy rather annoying as he seems to not know very much about what he's doing.

I am not associated with Road Race Engineering or Road Race Motorsports, but there is a race car in the garage and I'll bet you can guess my first name.
Lmao and I thought I was the only one who thought that about the John from evolving world. You should see his episode of removing weight where he couldn’t figure out how to remove his sway bar so he took a grinder and cut it into 3 pieces to get it out. Total face palm moments and the car now handles like trash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts