Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised I can't find this anywhere, especial since there's a vast array of options for the Abarth - but has anyone seen any aftermarket rear diffusers for the 500e?
Something similar to the Feroce Carbon Estremo diffuser at 500 Madness
(shop.500madness.com/fiat-500-abarth-cid114/exterior-upgrades-cid123/body-kits-and-pieces-cid221/fiat-500-rear-diffuser-carbon-fiber-dual-exit-feroce-carbon-estremo-pid3055)

Obviously without the exhaust cut outs. Seems like one would be a perfect product to me, the front perforated grill looks okay but I always thought the rear perforated diffuser looked a little cheap (especially since you can see straight through it to the ground below).
Any ideas? Or does anyone know a shop that makes custom (not necessarily carbon fiber) body kits at reasonable price?
And if we're going that far, anyone seen options for the 500e front grill as well?

·
Registered
976 Posts
My opinion: 500e buyers, mostly, don't want to pay $1000 for a $100 diffuser, and even finding a replacement 500e part is tricky. Most EV dudes are more frugal than that.

It does leave you with a couple options. You could buy the Abarth diffuser. Even with the cutouts, it looks nice. Another option would be to mod yours. Paint and a vinyl wrap is cheap.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,045 Posts
There's an actually functional 500e diffuser here, which blocks the view of the ground through the stock holes. At higher speeds it improves range & now that I think of it, probably acceleration too, due to reduced drag.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's the rear belly pan (though he calls it a diffuser)... the part on the left. For a Fiat part, they are very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the rear belly pan (though he calls it a diffuser)... the part on the left. For a Fiat part, they are very reasonably priced.
View attachment 108045
Yeah I've seen that - not really a diffuser, and not really that impressive looking (though I can see it may improve aerodynamics). It just doesn't compare at all to the options for the Abarth, which would improve aesthetics as well as aerodynamics.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The belly pan doesn't show, unless on a lift. As you say, it cuts down on wind drag. The 500 diffusers aren't about reducing drag, just about looks. For looks, why not wrap your existing unit? I saw one that looked pretty sharp. I don't know how he filled the holes... maybe w/ contact paper before wrapping? (He left before I got out of the store.) If you want the shark fins, they are cheap on ebay.

Or maybe contact 500 Madness? With their center exhaust diffuser, it'dd be easy to fill the opening with plastic, a mesh grille, and/or add the rally center stop light to the opening. They've dropped the price from $800. Those fancy diffusers are expensive, up to $1200. The factory units are much cheaper, but they charge a $100 core charge, so they can destroy the diffuser you return.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well - according to my very own sence of humour - I'd definately go with the diffuser from Madnes pictured above - INCLUDING the exhaust pipe.
That would give people something to figure out ;o)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well - according to my very own sence of humour - I'd definately go with the diffuser from Madnes pictured above - INCLUDING the exhaust pipe. That would give people something to figure out ;o)
Yeah, and install a dry ice box connected to the exhaust pipe. :eek: Great for visits to the shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The madness diffuser is just for looks, It doesn't extend forward like the one for ev-upgrades.com. Also the angle of the diffuser will dictate how much downforce or reduced aerodynamic drag will result. Checkout this thread at ecomodder.com. https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rear-diffuser-1831-3.html

The rear shape of the car will give different results for the same angle of the diffuser, as can be seen in the pic. Y axis is the reduction in CoD, ei Coefficient of Drag, and the X-axis is the angle of the diffuser.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts