Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed my 2017 fiat for over a year now (purchased used with only 6500miles). I have always registered an 84 mile range after a charge, rain or shine, hot or cold (I live in LA, it doesn’t get cold).

A month ago, the car would only charge to 62 miles and 94%. I tried recalibration the range by running it to zero and recharging, but no change. I took it to the dealer and they reset the range calculation after having it a few days. I picked up the car with a 100 mile range! In the 3.4 mile drive home, I shed 40 miles of range. Full charges sometime hit the 70’s, but actual range never got close to 60 miles.

Back to the dealer where they confirmed the rapid range loss but everything checked out fine. They talked to the fiat engineers, ran more tests and declared that it was perfectly normal.

Today, from a full charge to 2% I managed 52 miles.

So, I went from a rock solid, reliable 84 mile range with AC on in any conditions to barely 60 miles overnight and it’s normal. The car doesn’t yet have 17,000 miles.

Are there any Fiat 500e experts out here that can diagnose a sudden 20+ mile range drop on a car that, according to Fiat, is perfectly fine?

I am more than a little livid.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
Which dealer? Since it took this entire knowledgeable, helpful, innovative forum until pretty recently to discover how to reset the % gauge, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't realize that it requires driving it well past 0%, until it actually stops dead.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
Do you have a voltage gauge? Or a $20 OBD Bluetooth dongle & free AlfaOBD "demo" app?

Make sure you double-check that the car's charge timer is deactivated, & reboot your charger(s), even if that means unplugging or cycling the breaker of an L2.

I assume you would have mentioned any error codes, but please check that regen is actually working: Tap the wiper stalk end, so motor kW is displayed, then drive & make sure it goes negative when braking.

I'd also disconnect the humidity sensor just right of the rearview, since it can cause multiple issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will be checking again in the morning. I have an android tablet with AlfaOBD and a Bluetooth reader. Have to recharge the tablet. Don’t think I was looking in the right place before, but I don’t think it breaks it down by battery module. I’ve heard that a few bad cells can wipe out a pack.

I am a little more than frustrated that the dealer claimed to have checked all the packs and codes and found no fault.

Will go over the data in the morning.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
First I'd check for regen displaying negative kW, & disconnect the humidity sensor.

State Of Health data is extremely unreliable on OBD, but it does show each cell's voltage, so you can tell if there's a bad cell or two that's significantly lower than all the rest. 100% is about 4100mV/cell, & 0% is about 3100mV/cell.

With AlfaOBD, you can drive it until THAT gets close to 0% State Of Charge (regardless of the car's gauge*), then drive around VERY near a charger until it's 1%, then park at the charger with everything on until OBD hits 0.00% SOC, which stops the motor & resets the car's % gauge.

*Check the difference between OBD & the gauge, when it's low. For example, even though my OBD shows 5% LOW at full charge, when the charge gets low it shows about 8% more still available, compared to the car's gauge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With a full charge and the GOM always giving 84 miles regardless of conditions is a flag that something is not right. I'm in San Diego, and I don't think I've ever had the GOM register only 84 miles after a full charge - even with all highway driving. Typical range estimates for my car after a full charge go from around 87 miles all the way up to 120 miles.
IMO, there is something more going on here than just the calibration being off.

AlphaOBD will hopefully shed a lot of light on what is going on. I would check the SOC when the car is fully charged and when close to zero for starters along with the cell voltages in those two conditions. There is a ton of info that AlphaOBD provides and hopefully will point you in the right direction as to what is going on.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will see what AlfaOBD shows today. The dealer went to great lengths to recalibrate the system already and it almost appear that it may be responsible for the over optimistic range after a full charge. The range plummets quickly as I drive, though and maps consistently at about 60 miles when adding miles driven to calculated range.

I did the drive to 1% and leave the car on with heat for hours to run past 0. It had no effect, which is when I took it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,466 Posts
Heat shuts off below dash 0%. The fan works though, & rear defog, headlights & hazards (also I think windows & wipers).

As fiatatat noted, if you don't discharge it until HV battery cutoff (which is well past dash 0%), it does not recalibrate.
"Past 0" isn't necessarily enough. You have to go all the way to either 0.00% SOC on OBD (or 12V at the battery terminals, or until it displays a 12V battery warning) or it does absolutely nothing. If the dealer only went to 0.005% it did nothing.

Kiesling may very well be right about something else going on. For example if regen isn't working. That's VERY easy to do a quick check with a 50-foot drive to see if the blue bar lights up at the lower right of the speedo when you brake from above 7mph. If you first tap the wiper stalk tip, you can confirm it by checking that motor kW goes negative (charging).

One user reported a regen error which was corrected by unplugging the humidity sensor. They seem COMPLETELY unrelated to me, but I've had mine unplugged for years, ever since I learned it was turning on my power-robbing A/C compressor without even lighting the A/C button on the dash!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, this is what I have this morning:

Charged overnight on 30amp 220 charger and charged only to 96% with a range of 69 miles. Ran AlfaOBD and aside from one cell showing an over voltage error (over 100 cells) everything looks perfect. All voltages looks good, SOH in the 90’s, amp hours on the batteries look good, no errors of any kind, charging controllers are good.

Downloaded the log, nothing stands out.
BPCM Log

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay, this is what I have this morning:

Charged overnight on 30amp 220 charger and charged only to 96% with a range of 69 miles. Ran AlfaOBD and aside from one cell showing an over voltage error (over 100 cells) everything looks perfect. All voltages looks good, SOH in the 90’s, amp hours on the batteries look good, no errors of any kind, charging controllers are good.

Downloaded the log, nothing stands out.
BPCM Log
There's no access to your log in Google Drive. Can you set the file to public?

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are three failed undervoltage tests at cells 29, 30 and 49. They seem to be consistent through different data reads.

The voltages in these cells look good though. So I'd maybe suggest to do the HV cutoff test (it takes about 2.5 hours from 0 in dash, and you will need a multimeter), or point this to the shop and claim warranty.

Out of curiosity, I have compared this to my own AlfaOBD log, and there were no failed cell voltage tests, so it looks like the main suspect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have understood that even a few bad cells could affect the whole bank. If you could point me towards the HV test process, I can certainly do that.

I will have to fight with Fiat, I suspect, since they don’t seem to think there’s an issue. Considering the problem started 5 days before my factory warranty ran out but didn’t contact them until two days after (I thought is was a range calibration issue), that might be another fight.

Thanks for the assist

·
Registered
169 Posts
So the HV cutoff test is the recalibration done in a "proper" way. You discharge the battery to zero in dash, and keep the heat / fan / defroster / high beams running until the 12 V battery voltage dropsto 12 something volts (meaning, the DC-DC converter is no longer on and the HV battery is flat). Then, you go for a full charge and ideally measure the kWh consumed. There's a lot of detail in the thread I mentioned before.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts