Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've read through previous very detailed posts about tires and performance... such good information but I am confused and overwhelmed with all! :)

Just wondering... which tires should I purchase, and where? I live in San Diego..

Saw Pirelli Cinturados at Discount Tire $112/tire I use the online tire selector for other places (Costco, Big O, Firestone) and the 500e isn't listed, but when I search by size, I find Firestone, Bridgestone, etc.

Are there any better deals or sizes that would be a better deal? Recommendations for a shop? I am a freeway commuter.... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The two tires I am most likely to get are the Brigestone Ecopia 422 Plus in an LRR or the Yokohama S.Drive in a regular tire. I am really leaning towards the Ecopia, as I am interested to see what effect a low rolling resistance tire has on EV range. The car isn't driven hard enough to really warrant something sporty.

FWIW, if you aren't in a hurry watch Discount Tires ebay store. They periodically run a $100 off $400 purchase, free shipping, and have no tax in many states. It can make tire buying not quite so painful. Just have the tires shipped to your local America's or Discount Tires and they will mount and balance for about $15/tire.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recently got a set of Kuhmo tires & whilst the grip is improved considerably, it doesn't make up for the range reduction. The manufacturer recommended tires are much better for range & tires are too small to ever be fantastic in the wet, so I'll be returning to the original brand once I've fried these!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm just curious. How many miles does everyone get on a set of tires? How long did the original set last you?

·
Registered
116 Posts
5k fronts 15k rears, but it's been said here the orig set of tires never last as long. My 2nd set of fronts lasted 15k.

...but I did cane the living daylights out of the first set & by the 2nd set I had calmed down & got more into getting better range...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Holy crap! I just past 6k miles and the tires still look in great shape. I'll be rotating them in a couple of months to help with the wear.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I recently got a set of Kuhmo tires & whilst the grip is improved considerably, it doesn't make up for the range reduction.
How much range reduction did you experience, and which Kumho model are they? Keep in mind also whether you changed them as the weather was turning colder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Holy crap! I just past 6k miles and the tires still look in great shape. I'll be rotating them in a couple of months to help with the wear.
I got good tread passed 7100 miles on the front as well.

To rotate them, you will need to un-mount and re-mount them, and then do tire balance because the rims are not identical front and back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
To rotate them, you will need to un-mount and re-mount them, and then do tire balance because the rims are not identical front and back.
I've read this but when I look at the tire sizes front and back they are the same (185/55 R15). I didn't have a screw driver handy to check the off set but is that the difference? Did they really put different off set wheels on?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've read this but when I look at the tire sizes front and back they are the same (185/55 R15). I didn't have a screw driver handy to check the off set but is that the difference?
The tire sizes are the same front and back, but the rear wheels are 1" wider (5.5" front, 6.5" rear), presumably for the weight of the battery.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder why they have a wider rear wheel but don't use a wider rear tire? What's the point of that? The contact patch will be the same for the same weight distribution. There must be an offset difference as well.

Maybe I'll pull off the caps and see what the offsets are.

Is there a difference in the rear suspension pick ups vs a regular 500? That could also cause them to have different wheel spacing in the rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pulled my stock tires off with 5/32s left so I can return the car with over 4/32s as stated in the lease agreement.

I replaced them with 195/50/15 Hankook Ventus V2 tires (256 after 75 rebate). Bit wider and lower than stock so I lose a little mileage but for the price I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are at 23,xxx miles on the original tires and the fronts are at 4/32 and the rears at 6/32 as measured by the dealer last month. We have never rotated the tires, but I do keep them a 2psi over stock. Definitely going to need tires soon before the next 12mo is up.

My parents have the same car and are at 20k on the original tires with roughly 6/32 in front and 7/32 in back. They *might* make it to Dec '16.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How much range reduction did you experience, and which Kumho model are they? Keep in mind also whether you changed them as the weather was turning colder.
Kuhmo Exsta 4X II Ultra High Performance All-Season, same size as original spec. Yes, colder weather a factor too.
I aslo go through tires on my pickup & Boxster too. I live on top if a hill with a narrow windy road. And my commute is the same, narrow windy roads through the redwoods with lots of hills up & down, so my tires never get great mileage. Almost no freeway use. Great commute though, pretty & a wild ride if your in the mood. Getting into black ice time now though, so no more madness for a while... I'd say range was down 15% plus since the new tires, I can tell when freewheeling down hills, getting regn, it just slows a lot quicker than before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hated the OEM tires. They squealed and mine didn't track correctly on the freeway. my 500e would squiggly and squirm down the lane at speeds above 50. So at 2000 miles I put on a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ102 @ $65 per including install (195/50/15) and WOW. You will notice the difference right away. I lost a little mileage, overall I think 5-8 miles in total range but well worth it. The DZ102s are sticky on corners, tracks STRAIGHT at speed, stops are much quicker and a bit quieter all around. I have NO regrets. I looked at the Yokohamas and Kumhos but ultimately decided on the DZ102s. A lot of folks use them to autocross, so that was the convincing point for me. I've put on about 3-4k miles since and they still look pretty good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Kuhmo Exsta 4X II Ultra High Performance All-Season, same size as original spec.
We're now several thousand miles into the Kumho's and LOVE them. We haven't had as much reduction in range (3-4% max for us), but the handling (especially wet), noise and ride are so much better I just chuckle when I figure the post-rebate price at Discount was about $75 each. Great tires, and those FireHawks can burn in Yuma.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
We're now several thousand miles into the Kumho's and LOVE them. We haven't had as much reduction in range (3-4% max for us), but the handling (especially wet), noise and ride are so much better I just chuckle when I figure the post-rebate price at Discount was about $75 each. Great tires, and those FireHawks can burn in Yuma.
Occasionally these can be had as low as around $50 per tire I believe...mine when I had them were about $75 though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Useful data thanks guys. One thing I was wondering - if the rear wheel is wider, is there any logic in going with a wider tire in the rear, and narrower in the front? Since we can't rotate them anyway...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Useful data thanks guys. One thing I was wondering - if the rear wheel is wider, is there any logic in going with a wider tire in the rear, and narrower in the front? Since we can't rotate them anyway...
No, no point in staggering tire sizes, especially on a FWD car. It will just make the understeer worse while hurting fuel economy at the same time. If you want more grip, "+0" to a 195/50-15 all around.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts