Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a roof rack that can go on my 500L with a sunroof, an body know of any? I have looked on Mopars website and I have looked around. I cant find any that say specifically that they will work with the sunroof. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I don't have the sunroof on my Elle but I don't see any reason a sunroof would not open using my rack system. It is completely outside
the area where the sunroof resides. My rack system would work with landing gear from thule or yakima. It isn't all that complicated. You can check my garage for photos

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I first was looking at the trekking with a sunroof they said you couldn't use the rack. They told alot of things that were not ture. Went to another dealership (where I bought my car from) they said yes you can use it, but you can't open the sunroof. I've been considering getting one. Might get one next year. A one year birthday gift to my 500L.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would have loved the sunroof, but with my track record with putting gear on racks I am sure it would be broken in no time. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I installed mine today. It does fit. Mine doesn't sit on the glass, but I have seen other people install theirs and it does sit on the glass. I ordered mine through the dealer.
Is there a trick to installing the rack? I followed the directions to the T.. it showed the distance between the front foot pack was 40 inches, rear was 39 3/4.. it would not work/fit..

is there a trick to installing the roof rack?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Is there a trick to installing the rack? I followed the directions to the T.. it showed the distance between the front foot pack was 40 inches, rear was 39 3/4.. it would not work/fit..

is there a trick to installing the roof rack?
Not a trick, but if you can find another patient soul to help, being able to lock down both sides at the same time can help as well as for making small adjustments and measurements. Too short on the bar and it will definitely suck the foot pad onto the glass. I used to install racks on a regular basis for work and I still found the Thule on the L a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not a trick, but if you can find another patient soul to help, being able to lock down both sides at the same time can help as well as for making small adjustments and measurements. Too short on the bar and it will definitely suck the foot pad onto the glass. I used to install racks on a regular basis for work and I still found the Thule on the L a bit of a pain.
OMG thanks for the advise! The Thule instructions were all off (measurements).. I found a patient neighbor/soul who works at a bike shop and installs Yakima racks. When trying to do solo, it was too hard to do solo, with a second pair of eyes, installation was a snap. Trick was do not lock the foot pack yet until its on the vehicle, and the foot pads are different for the front versus the rear. Once both obstacles were done, installation was a breeze. I can open the sunroof no worries.

Basically with two people:
1. Get foot packs on load bars, but do not lock
2. Put foot pack on roof (make sure you have the right foot pack [front and rear are different thickness[
3. Once bar is centered .. lock
4. Tighten..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference between the racks that sit on the glass and those that don't? Will the ones that don't sit on the glass allow the window to be opened without obstruction? (Mostly I want to know that I won't break anything if I push the wrong button.) Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference between the racks that sit on the glass and those that don't? Will the ones that don't sit on the glass allow the window to be opened without obstruction? (Mostly I want to know that I won't break anything if I push the wrong button.) Thanks!
My guess is the one that sits on the glass has too short of spacing of the foot on the bar and will be breaking the glass soon. As I mentioned above, I used to install racks and I have never seen one set-up that way and we would always strongly advise against installing a rack with a large glass sunroof anyway with exception of using it to mount up more storage or a basket.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd stay away from the glass and go with the advice from 7FIAT's Later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine does not sit on the sunroof glass, have someone help you.. See my post above.

·
Registered
2014 Fiat 500L Trecking
1 Posts
I am also looking for roof racks for my 500l for light loads so I am going pretty cheap any suggestions and what is the mounting width. Not bar length.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts