Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to be a new member of this forum. Could someone with a six speed auto tell me how many rpms you run at 80 mph? Thank you very mutch in advance and nice to meet you all.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Glad to be a new member of this forum. Could someone with a six speed auto tell me how many rpms you run at 80 mph? Thank you very mutch in advance and nice to meet you all.
can't say I know but if no one else answers you by the time I get home, I"ll let you know.........unless I'm in JAIL! :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm curious why you ask. I dont know the exact revs, but I know its not noisey and still gets good millage. As I recall, the 500 tops out about 105 or so due to drag not rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason why id like to know, is because i was between the manual and the auto, and i know the manual does almost 4000 rpm at 70 mph. That becomes noisy. i was worried about relaxed cruising at those speeds since here in argentina, thats our speed limit on the hiway.
i would apreciate it very mutch if next time you are driving you could check the rpms at those particular speeds. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The reason why id like to know, is because i was between the manual and the auto, and i know the manual does almost 4000 rpm at 70 mph. That becomes noisy. i was worried about relaxed cruising at those speeds since here in argentina, thats our speed limit on the hiway.
i would apreciate it very mutch if next time you are driving you could check the rpms at those particular speeds. thanks for the replies.
4000?! Sounds too high. I'm going to go check.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I suspect the gearing in your manual transmission 500 must be different. My 5 speed manual transmission Sport with 195/45 16" tires turns 3,100 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear. Therefore the gearing in your automatic may also be different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your thoughts on why did they use the five speed manual instead of the six speed manual on the European cars. I think the multiair would have definitly take benefit of a six speed, more so the abarth that we are most probably not getting here. Do you think it was just cut off? Thats why im intrested in the auto.
i read that a couple of members prefferd it to the manual... ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect the gearing in your manual transmission 500 must be different. My 5 speed manual transmission Sport with 195/45 16" tires turns 3,100 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear. Therefore the gearing in your automatic may also be different.
I never drove it, thats why i probably got it wrong. But im pretty sure that the gear boxes that come with the car imported from Mexico are the same that in the US. We get the same car in Argentina eccept for a few differences, like the active head rest for instance, since our necks here seem to be cheaper:rolleyes:
We dont get warm seats either. Climate r here is warmer.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
What are your thoughts on why did they use the five speed manual instead of the six speed manual on the European cars. I think the multiair would have definitly take benefit of a six speed, more so the abarth that we are most probably not getting here. Do you think it was just cut off? Thats why im intrested in the auto.
i read that a couple of members prefferd it to the manual... ??
Fiat says the additional front end reinforcement added to the NA 500's to comply with U.S. crash testing resulted in an area that wasn't wide enough to accept the 6 speed manual transmission used in Europe. I'm not happy about it either, but most Americans just accept it because our 500's are 'safer' than the European ones.

The extra gear in the automatic may make the transmission more 'flexible' than the 5 speed manual, but because of internal losses in the torque converter, etc. the automatic isn't as fuel efficient.

I don't think I've seen any magazine do a head to head test of manual vs automatic in the 500, yet.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I never drove it, thats why i probably got it wrong. But im pretty sure that the gear boxes that come with the car imported from Mexico are the same that in the US. We get the same car in Argentina eccept for a few differences, like the active head rest for instance, since our necks here seem to be cheaper:rolleyes:
We dont get warm seats either. Climate r here is warmer.
Ahem, you mean you are contemplating buying an automobile and evaluating transmissions by what SOMEONE ELSE says? Drive BOTH transmissions and make YOUR decision. Hopefully the dealers there let you 'test drive' a car before you have to give them $$$. Unless you buy a 500 with the automatic you can't get factory installed heated seats here either. Good luck on your quest!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thamks for the reply and the good info seadawg!!
Althoug my question remains, very intested to know rpms at 80 mph. Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm back, the answer is 2900 rpm.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Lorvar, you are the best. Definitly getting the auto. Thank you!!!
You're welcome. Next time I'm in Mendoza, we'll meet up for a drink. I know, it's far away from B.A., but I've never been there.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Cool. Send message and we ll have wine and bbq.
Of course Asado and Trapiche (which I visited). I have to make a correction, 70 was about 2700, 75 was about 2900, 80 was about 3100.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Asado will be!! And you should also try Malbec, our finest grape.
Thats what i though, if 80 mph is 3100 on the auto the manual should be no less than 4000 rpm. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.