Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems many owners on the forum got the service light well below the 8k recommended mileage. I'm at 7,500 and still no light. Anyone else get close to the 8k limit before the light came on? Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm approaching 4k, so I contacted my dealer to find out their policy on LOF. They said 8k or 6 months only. No response yet when I asked what if the light comes on early.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm approaching 4k, so I contacted my dealer to find out their policy on LOF. They said 8k or 6 months only. No response yet when I asked what if the light comes on early.
Sounds like your 'Studio' needs an attitude adjustment.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The light comes on between 3000-4000 or 7000-8000 miles depending on how you drive....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The light comes on between 3000-4000 or 7000-8000 miles depending on how you drive....
Right. Mine comes on every 8k.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

I'm approaching 7000 miles with no light yet, but I'm also approaching 6 months as well, so I plan on trying to take it in then anyway.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
7k is way to long for a oil change. if u care about your car at all do it every 4k...
I still find it hard to believe that people believe that in the last 40 years the chemical additives and technology used in the formulation of oil hasn't changed. Chevrolet dealers still tell you to come back every 3 months and 3,000 miles; yet when you read the owners manual produced by the automobile manufacturer it now says change it based on the 'oil monitor' or at least x times per year.

You can change the oil in your engine as often as you like, but please don't make it sound like you know more than the engineers who (and I'd bet my money) did extensive testing on the oil used in the test engines to determine a change interval that wouldn't compromise the protective ability of the oil specified for use in the engine.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi,

I'm approaching 7000 miles with no light yet, but I'm also approaching 6 months as well, so I plan on trying to take it in then anyway.
I had 6 months and approx 3,300 miles on mine when I had it changed the 1st week of November.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Its a 4k interval everywhere else on the 500, to get free changes they bumped it to 8k....talk to a tech about the nearly invisible oil paths that flow to the valve train... Dont be cheap...

·
Registered
245 Posts
3000 or 8000 miles your choice

I tend to be old school and change my oil at no more than every 4,000 miles. My previous daily drive was a 2004 Chevy Colorado z71 4x4 (which I still have) with 136,000 miles; still runs and looks great. I plan to employ the same habit with my new 500 regardless what oil change support I get from the Studio. I have been using the Valvoline center close to work for the past 8 years and have gotten nothing but exceptional service. I think I wil run sythentetic blend only in my 500. Anyway my two cents.
Happy Thanskgiving

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Its a 4k interval everywhere else on the 500, to get free changes they bumped it to 8k....talk to a tech about the nearly invisible oil paths that flow to the valve train... Dont be cheap...
In Europe Fiat 500's come with SYNTHETIC oil from the factory. Their RECOMMENDED oil change interval is THIRTY THOUSAND (30,000) Km OR ONCE PER YEAR. Or in our measurements EIGHTEEN THOUSAND (18,000) miles or once a year. Now they don't use the Multi-Air engine but I'm sure the European interval probably has you in cardiac arrest already.

It has NOTHING to do with being cheap. It has to do with being WASTEFUL. Why should I waste $$$ and resources when their isn't any empirical evidence that I would be getting any more protection than using the MANUFACTURER of the engine's recommendation.

As I understand it, European Abarth's have a 10,000 Km (6,000 mile) change interval.

I really don't want to get into a knock down, drag out verbal fisticuff. If you want to change YOUR oil once a month, so be it. Just do NOT tell me I have to do that or my engine will burn in h*ll.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In Europe Fiat 500's come with SYNTHETIC oil from the factory. Their RECOMMENDED oil change interval is THIRTY THOUSAND (30,000) Km OR ONCE PER YEAR. Or in our measurements EIGHTEEN THOUSAND (18,000) miles or once a year. Now they don't use the Multi-Air engine but I'm sure the European interval probably has you in cardiac arrest already.
I bought my 500 about 5 hours ago and one of the dealer service people did the walk-through. I was startled when he said the interval was every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever came first.

My BMW uses their S54 inline 6 engine which revs to 8000 rpm and the interval on that is 1-year/15k miles. Numerous owners of this model have had oil analyses done at shorter intervals and found a change is unncessary. I'd be stunned if someone came up with evidence that the 1.4L in this little thing needs changing that frequently.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I bought my 500 about 5 hours ago and one of the dealer service people did the walk-through. I was startled when he said the interval was every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever came first. I'd be stunned if someone came up with evidence that the 1.4L in this little thing needs changing that frequently.
An excellent example of what I was trying to express. If you read your owners manual you will see where it states to change when the car's Electronic Vehicle Information Center advises to OR Maximum 6 months or 8,000 miles.

The Mercedes Benz I leased back 2007-2009 had Mobil 1 from the factory and was 1 year or 13,000 miles for changes.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Oh boy, another oil change thread.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Azzurro....:) :) :) .....i dont care what people do. i like messin with my car, im an enthusiast...He probably has an auto...:)
Not likely. I've only owned TWO automatic transmission cars in over 50 years of having a drivers license and my 500 Rosso Sport is NOT one of them:cool:. Even the MB I leased in 2007 had to be trucked in because I had to have the 6 Spd manual C230 and the dealer had NONE.:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts