Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Abarth 8 years this month and it's still my favorite car of all time. And I've had several Corvettes, a new 2008 Dodge Viper, 2 Superformance AC Cobras, Turbo Porsche 550 Spyder, S2000, GM Kappas, an EVO 8 and EVO 9MR.....and more. Also recently bought a 2020 Fiat 124 which has the same engine as our 500. What makes the 500 so special is that there's just no other car like it--ergonomically, dynamically, power train, appearance, performance, size, etc. Let me list some of the things I think that make it so different:
1. It's smaller than anything outside, but huge inside. Almost all other 'sports cars' are just too **** big outside, yet they're smaller than our Abarth inside.
2. It sits higher than any other car, but lower than any SUV.
3. The 'greenhouse'--the size of the windows--is unrivaled for a great view
4. The sound is unlike anything else. Do you know of any other car that comes from the factory with no mufflers?
5. The engine power is the reverse of anything else you might see. The power curve starts at max (at normal speeds) and THEN drops off (see attached dyno sheet).
6. You're at maxmum torque, all the time, at normal driving speeds.
7. The RPM drop between 5th and 4th is the same as the RPM drop between 4th and 3rd.
8. The sunroof is bigger than almost every other car, even though it's the smallest car.
9. It comes with white wheels! (or did when I bought my car)
10. It has hydraulically activated intake valves for unlimited control.
11. It can run as much as 60 degrees advanced (before top dead center) in normal cruising--no other car I know of can do this.
12. It's 1.4 liter engine (85 cubic inches) can be taken to as much as 470 hp and still be used on the street.
13. It can do an 8:55 lap of the Nurburgring!
14. Chipped, it will stay with a Porsche Boxster or Cayman in a highway roll on.
14. It handles like a son of a *****.

There's a lot more, but these are the first things that come to mind. Very sorry that Americans didn't 'get it' (I'm not surprised) but at least we have ours!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a big picture taker but here's a couple. I have 500 Madness braces all around and their piggyback ECU. Also, the K and N air intake setup and Magnaflow exhaust. Put new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on it last year. Otherwise stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had my Abarth 8 years this month and it's still my favorite car of all time. And I've had several Corvettes, a new 2008 Dodge Viper, 2 Superformance AC Cobras, Turbo Porsche 550 Spyder, S2000, GM Kappas, an EVO 8 and EVO 9MR.....and more. Also recently bought a 2020 Fiat 124 which has the same engine as our 500. What makes the 500 so special is that there's just no other car like it--ergonomically, dynamically, power train, appearance, performance, size, etc. Let me list some of the things I think that make it so different:
1. It's smaller than anything outside, but huge inside. Almost all other 'sports cars' are just too **** big outside, yet they're smaller than our Abarth inside.
2. It sits higher than any other car, but lower than any SUV.
3. The 'greenhouse'--the size of the windows--is unrivaled for a great view
4. The sound is unlike anything else. Do you know of any other car that comes from the factory with no mufflers?
5. The engine power is the reverse of anything else you might see. The power curve starts at max (at normal speeds) and THEN drops off (see attached dyno sheet).
6. You're at maxmum torque, all the time, at normal driving speeds.
7. The RPM drop between 5th and 4th is the same as the RPM drop between 4th and 3rd.
8. The sunroof is bigger than almost every other car, even though it's the smallest car.
9. It comes with white wheels! (or did when I bought my car)
10. It has hydraulically activated intake valves for unlimited control.
11. It can run as much as 60 degrees advanced (before top dead center) in normal cruising--no other car I know of can do this.
12. It's 1.4 liter engine (85 cubic inches) can be taken to as much as 470 hp and still be used on the street.
13. It can do an 8:55 lap of the Nurburgring!
14. Chipped, it will stay with a Porsche Boxster or Cayman in a highway roll on.
14. It handles like a son of a *.

There's a lot more, but these are the first things that come to mind. Very sorry that Americans didn't 'get it' (I'm not surprised) but at least we have ours!
You forgot
15. They are a surprisingly fun track car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts