Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dealer "Business Manager" is not your friend.

I heard from Chrysler this morning and they were no help whatsoever and still refuse to cancel the extended warranty and refund my 1750.00 plus taxes.It seems I now have to be "that guy", the angry consumer who shouts off roof tops till someone does something.

I will be making a complaint to the BBB here against the dealer, with Consumer and Corporate Affairs Canada, and the will be contacting the CBC consumer affairs TV program. Sadly by complaining about the dealer,I'm shooting myself in the foot as they are the only Fiat store here.I had really hoped to avoid that route.

I was tricked into buying this warranty,was too embarrassed to do anything about it and because I waited too long am now stuck with it.

Because the "business manager" rolled it into my car loan I will be paying for it multiple times to add insult to injury.$1750 plus taxes

Take this as a cautionary tale folks.

Why is it that an unhappy consumer is forced to generate thousands of dollars in negative publicity in order to get a large corporation to take notice and do what's right for their customer. Instead they get so caught up in the policies and forget about the "person". Sad really

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you give details on how you were "tricked" into purchasing the extended warranty?

Legally, if he was truthful about the product he sells, there was no fraud committed. It will be quite difficult to win a case against someone who used unethical methods of sales against you-quite difficult to prove in court, unless you have written documentation of his trickery. If the contract Also clearly states the terms, conditions, and details of the product, then you are legally bound to it.

Please, provide us with more details.

·
Registered
31 Posts
John, as a word of encouragement. Demand to get the right treatment. The only way right now to get what you want lawfully is to stand firm, and continuous complain, complain, complain.

Also, DO: Have a notebook and jot down the names (first names are sufficient), Time, and Date of every person you have talked to regarding this situation. Legally, they have to provide their first names if you ask. Write down EVERY word of what EVERY person says that's representing Chrysler LLC and FIAT just to catch any conflicting facts told to you. Once conflicting facts have been caught, you will get what you want MUCH easier. Jot down the distance that you have traveled to reach the dealership just in case you win in this case and sue them for time that it cost you to solve this problem (time = money).
The more info and facts you have concerning this case, the probability of you getting what you want (and maybe even more) will rise.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd like to know a little more backstory on this.

Did you not agree to purchase the extended warranty? If so, did they not tell you the total price of everything when you signed your financing agreement?

I just don't understand how someone could not notice an extra $1700 charge. When I bought my Fiat, they went over all the charges and exactly what they were for.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In an older message, he admitted to buying it "in a moment of weakness." He usually doesn't get extended warranties, and usually doesn't keep a car past what the Canadian warranty is anyway, but apparently he was convinced at the time of purchase to buy it.
To be fair, dealers can be VERY intimidating and convincing, so I can easily see how someone might buy something they didn't really want, especially when it can be rolled into the car payment. I only got away unscathed because I kept telling myself to say no to EVERYTHING they offered. I'm glad I did, because they love to wait until right as you're about to put your name on to spring the stuff on you, and are quick to check a box to add that to your purchase price.
Still, I don't think that he was swindled. He knew what he was buying, and how much. Now he seems to have buyer's remorse. Understandable, true, but not something you can complain over.

That said, I don't see why it can't be canceled. It's not like he wants to return the car itself. Clearly, there's big money in extended warranties, or they wouldn't try so hard to keep from refunding it.

I say, drive it like you stole it, and make that warranty pay off. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry...but you are dead wrong sir

I find it inappropriate to derogatory statements towards a dealership because you signed a contract and now have buyers remorse two months later. When you enter into a contract it is your responsibility to understand what you are signing and to protect your interests. If you are not experienced enough to know better, than you should have had someone to help you. I am not being mean, or heartless, I just can't stand excessive hypocritical behavior. If the dealership called you back two months after singing the contract and asked if they could have an extra $500 for the car as you caught the salesman in a moment of weakness and you shouldn't have gotten the price you paid, you'd think he was nuts...

Car dealerships and their employees are not known to be the most ethical folks, due in large part to people making poor decisions in the heat of the moment looking a shiny new toy, and then getting upset when they realize that they made a mistake. In an all to common defense mechanism, the person who did something wrong, doesn't want to be honest with themselves, and so lets a false sense of anger at the dealership hide their embarrassment and shame at doing something stupid. The dealership is there to make money. There is a balance between making money and keeping the customer happy enough to come back. Unfortunately, most people are more lazy than they like to admit, and even if a dealer gives them a terrible deal, 5 years later, the customer will go back, and justify it to themselves in many ways, ignoring the truth...they don't want to drive a hour farther to go to a different dealership. Because of this, most dealerships will try pretty hard to sell you high priced add ons if they feel you may bite.

I remember my 1st new car purchase (still scares me how much I got hosed). I was young, and stupid. My old car died and I needed a new reliable car right away because I worked very far from my apartment. I went to a Toyota dealer (because several friends suggested that Toyotas were very reliable...which they are). I made just about every mistake you can make. I shopped by monthly payment, and ended up paying full sticker price for a car that was parked out back so long they have to put new tires and a battery in it because it had sat so long. I think it cost me about $2500.00 1987 dollars...and it was 100% MY FAULT.

Read up before going to a dealership if you don't know the game. Then don't blame the dealership for selling you an item with real value, that you didn't need.

I am truly sorry you feel like you did something you shouldn't have...but you are going to have to admit its your mistake, and its wrong to expect the dealer to pay for your mistake

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More detail

I clearly admit I made a mistake, and there are consequences that I may be stuck with, I never said otherwise so skip the sanctimonious lectures please.

I had a very long negotiation, with multiple phone calls before and three
seperate trips into the business office in one afternoon

At the end of a long afternoon, and after I had already been quoted a payment that I could live with, the biz guy said"there's just enough room here for either the extended warranty of the paint treatment,which one do you want?"

Yes I fell for the oldest trick in the book and am ashamed that I fell for it.I was however wanting to get the whole thing over and without even thinking said ok,the warranty I guess. Two sad things. I don't plan on keeping it 8 years,and as its rolled into my car loan I will be paying for it multimle times over.

I have Contacted Chrysler Canada and they flat out said no.I also have been e mailing a manager at Fiat Canada who is at lease sympathetic and may be able to help.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the 5 year 100000km warranty as well. If I do keep the car, I'm sure the warranty will pay for itself. I've already had a headlight and taillight replaced (broken tab and condensation). If I do sell the car, having the extended warranty could help the resale value. No I wouldn't expect to get my money back on it, but it's just a safety net.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Outcome

I have no expectation,but its one of the "if you don't ask,you don't get " things.Mostly I feel bad that I got stung.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I'm a bit confused here. I went ahead and purchased an Extended Service Contract when I bought my car and in the paperwork its indicates, under "Cancellation Policy" that:

"Your service contract begins upon the expiration of your vehicle's factory warranty that was provided to you at the time of purchase of your FIAT. You may request a cancellation of the contract at any time prior to the start of your service contract and receive full refund."

I live in the US though. Is your paperwork different in Canada?

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't like what you got, remember - you're the customer. Regardless of whether or not Fiat states you're stuck with the contract, all contracts are meant to be broken. If you hold your ground, you can get it done - as the customer is always right, if they want to be. Everyone that buys something, is at risk of being pressured unfairly, when they're weak and vulnerable at the time of purchase. You were, you're human. They're human too - and if you want to, really want to get your money back, you can - just never, never, never, never give up until you get what you want. Who's paying whom? Are they paying you to buy their extended warranty? Nope. You're paying them. Some extended warranties are worth it, (electronics) are a good bet, but the warranties aren't $1700+ either.

Car purchases are inherently the type of purchase that causes people to make decisions they would otherwise not make. Time is the key for salesman. The sooner they can get you to sign, the sooner they succeed. The "back-door" is the moment the customer says they need to 'think about it'. However, they got you to sign on your initial visit - hence your vulnerability to agree to something that time, would have given you the insight to decide against.

If you really want to the money back, just tell yourself there's no other options, get outside the box of yourself and get it done. Letters are way better than a phone call or some discussion with some yahoo that only is giving you lip service back, when you bleed your heart about the issue. Write a one to two page letter, (if you already haven't done so), detailing out your situation.

Companies don't have to give any money back - but for goodwill and their reputation, with enough 'squeaky wheel' noise from you about your issue, they'll eventually do it and give you your money back.

Remember, they couldn't have a business without you and me and others who buy products, whether it be Toyota, Fiat, or whomever you pay money to for a car and services and extended bogus warranties.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth about "honoring" an agreement with a car dealer's business manager.
There's truly not much honorable about the typical car buying process these days. Everyone involved does their best to flash numbers and contracts in front of you as fast as they can without much explanation. They try to make you focus on your monthly payment without looking at the figures behind them and they tack on as many "miscellaneous" charges as they can hoping you either won't notice or will buy their quick justification.
My last car buying experience was reasonably pleasant, but even it involved the salesman's "consultation trips" to the sales manager and the awkward moments in the business manager's office as he tried to sell me all the extras.
I worked in the service department of a new car dealership in the 80's and was called as a witness in an extended warranty claim dispute. After hearing the 2 side's stories, the judge read the exclusion wording in the warranty and immediately ruled for the lady who was trying to have her car repaired under a warranty that basically excluded everything.
What amazes me is that they don't understand that satisfying their customer will help them retain his business and possibly get more, whereas denying him will spread the poison of bad relations to him and everyone who asks him about his car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dan, Really?!

For one, what part of the definition of "contract" don't you understand? What if the government felt like breaching its agreement with foreign nations in repaying our national debt? Why don't you try breaching a credit card agreement, let's see how that turns out in the long run? Better yet, if you do own a business, would you like to see all of your accounts receivable turn into bad debt expense just because your customers didn't want to repay you, ever?

Second: NO, the customer is NOT always right. How ignorant are you? What sort of fact/s do you have to back your claim that the customer is always right? Sounds like an opinion to me. Regardless of who pays whom, there's something called legality of actions and responsibility of the buyers and sellers to know their rights before signing any legal document. If the buyer is not 100% sure of the obligations involved within the agreement, a lawyer may be present and represent the buyer.

Third, I thought you were cancelling your account? Since you did previously greet us all farewell.

Finally, the buyer had the option to walk away.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was lucky. We had brought the kids to the dealership when we bought the car (big mistake). My wife and I took turns talking with the sales guy and in the end she went into the business office to do the final work. When we got home I was going over the papers and noticed that they had charged us $1500 for freight and A/C tax over and above the MSRP. These charges are included in the window sticker price so effectivly they were trying to charge twice. I called the dealer the next day and explained this to the sales guy and he actually said "but your still within your payment budget right"? I was expecting a big fight because we had already signed but a few strong word with the sales manager and all was corrected.

Also I "choose" to purchase the wheel locks that aparently are sold with every car. When I removed one of the centers, suprise, no locks. The dealer was also "suprised" but they did send ne some UPS.

I'm not sure if these were legit mistakes or blatant attempts to screw me but I am going to be a more dilligant consume because of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both the seller and buyer should uphold their integrity on their ends of the contract.

The buyer sits there all day pressuring the seller to lower their selling price(which is annoying to all parties), the seller does their job to pressure the buyer into creating higher profits. Both parties does their fare share of pressuring, therefore, it doesn't make the buyer any better than the seller.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it is different

On the back of the Chrysler printed "What is covered" form it says in the usual smallish print that it must be cancelled within 60 days

·
Registered
453 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, and make that warranty pay off big. ;-)

·
Registered
341 Posts
On the back of the Chrysler printed "What is covered" form it says in the usual smallish print that it must be cancelled within 60 days
Well, you're not going to win, then.

You have three options:

1 - Keep your car as long as you're going to own it, and then when you sell it, raise its price by the $1700 the warranty extension cost you. When people ask, you tell them you bought a warranty extension on the car, it is transferable, and they are getting more value with your car compared to any other Fiat on the market at that time.

2 - Sell your car now, raise the price by $1700 exactly as mentioned above. Buy another Fiat without the warranty extension. Continue on with your life.

3 - Keep your car, and drive it until your extended warranty expires, as you stated in your first post that you only keep your cars as long as the warranties are in effect. You just happened to buy one with a much longer warranty than normal, this time.

And your story makes me even more glad on how myself and BatnBella handled our transaction with our dealer. We set a price for the car, the trade in, and everything else over the phone before making the nearly 800 mile drive to their Studio, and brought a check with us from our Credit Union. We got there, handed over the check, signed paperwork, and drove away in our new car without being pressured into buying a single extra thing.

Maybe you and everyone else should try this next time you buy a car.

BC.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The warranty I was offered was non-transferrable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow! I guess I'm really lucky. There was no pressure whatsoever to purchase anything. Because I was financing less than 1/2 of the purchase price they didn't offer gap insurance and because of my age and health issues I knew I'd never qualify for credit life. As for the ClearCoat and window tint my son owns a business that does both so all I had do was give them his card -- in hopes that he could pick up some business.

When I was doing the paperwork on my wife's new Subaru, I had an interesting chat with the finance guy. He told me how many local dealers were videotaping the process so there would be no question of what was offered, what was implied, exclusions, etc.

I wonder if there isn't enough profit margin in the purchase price for the dealers to make sufficient profit? I do know that they make more money selling your trade than they make on the new car.

A final word on extended warranties -- they are much cheaper if purchased separately from an insurance company.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts