Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
It is possible that the ethanol causes this because I have never had this occur and I have only put in real gas except on vacation a couple times.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We were hoping you would come up with that, Spicy! Did you have another incident or just curious?

It is so weird - I had a Sport and now an Abarth and driving in the exact same conditions (and undoubtedly a lot of the same roads even) as you do yet, very, very thankfully, haven't had a similar problem. Which makes me think there must be some weird, random little thing gone wonky with your Sport in particular.

Btw, I think every station around here has ethanol which means that probably isn't the problem as I gassed up both my Fiats on the high octane/ethanol included and didn't suffer this fate.

I empathize with you and am also hoping this can be tracked down for you and anyone else suffering the same thing.

·
Banned
762 Posts
This may shed light on it a little.

When I start my car to move it very briefly...FROM A COLD START....shut it down, AND THEN start it up again perhaps an hour or so later....it runs very very rich and has very rough idle....

Seems like there may some type of flaw or erroneous setting in the ECU programming that causes such an issue to arise.

And BTW...I've been able to replicate this mode of operation every single time when starting briefly from cold, turning off, and then starting up again a while later.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yup, drive the car around the block at least once before you shut it off.
I do this with all the cars in the garage when I'm moving them around, if I need space to work on another in there.

The RX-8 doesn't like being turned on when ice cold, moved just a little bit, and then immediately shut back off.
RX-8's that have old, weakened ignition system can flood, and flooding is a very bad thing for a rotary engine.

But all cars run really rich during a cold start.
But I believe Spicy's problems were occurring before the weather turned cold.

BC.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My car does this just like many others. The studio couldn't find anything wrong. There is no rhyme or reason, warm outside/cold outside, short trips/long trips, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I experienced it a couple of times on my 2012 Sport built in June of 2012. Standard transmission, 750 miles on the odo. It was rather cold all weekend, and it would happen not on the first startup of the day, but rather on the fourth or fifth on a series of errands I was doing. Clearly the starter was turning (you could hear the whiz) but it was not engaging the flywheel. Something in the mechanism that pushes the starter into the flywheel was not doing it's thing.

I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the hill start mechanism, I had turned that on the other day after having it off when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I experienced it a couple of times on my 2012 Sport built in June of 2012. Standard transmission, 750 miles on the odo. It was rather cold all weekend, and it would happen not on the first startup of the day, but rather on the fourth or fifth on a series of errands I was doing. Clearly the starter was turning (you could hear the whiz) but it was not engaging the flywheel. Something in the mechanism that pushes the starter into the flywheel was not doing it's thing.

I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the hill start mechanism, I had turned that on the other day after having it off when I bought it.
Thats the trouble with an intermittent concern; the studio has to be lucky to experience it, and hopefully capture a fault code to pinpoint the problem. If it persists or becomes more frequent, feel free to write me guys.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've never owned a car that started every time on the first push. Ever. That's in 40 years of driving.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. You turn the key again and they're good (usually) and you carry on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it to the studio and they couldn't reproduce the problem. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason and it is so intermittent. I have been racking my brain about it and I cant figure it out. there are enough people with this problem that you would think Fiat would have taken notice...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Mine didn't start on the first try today. My impression was that I should've held the key turned for another split second. Not really sure though. I don't ever remember it doing it before. I just tried it again really without thinking much about it.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've never owned a car that started every time on the first push. Ever. That's in 40 years of driving.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. You turn the key again and they're good (usually) and you carry on.
Ive owned 19 different cars in over 20 years & every single one started on the first time every time. There is no reason a brand new vehicle, especially one with the technology that's crammed into this one should not start on the first turn of the key. The fact that so many of us have this, while others don't also indicates a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ive owned 19 different cars in over 20 years & every single one started on the first time every time. There is no reason a brand new vehicle, especially one with the technology that's crammed into this one should not start on the first turn of the key. The fact that so many of us have this, while others don't also indicates a problem.
Yubbut - if I read "San Antonio" rightly, you're in Texas - where it's warm. Try starting your car first time every time in a climate where it gets into single-digit cold (or worse) Betcha can't.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yubbut - if I read "San Antonio" rightly, you're in Texas - where it's warm. Try starting your car first time every time in a climate where it gets into single-digit cold (or worse) Betcha can't.

i can honestly say that since my first car in 1988, ive never had a car that didnt turn over on the first turn of the key. being in Michigan most of those years, ive had plenty of single digit morning temperatures.

even my cheap-o yaris never had a problem. sorry for those of you having this issue. it would be preferable that it happened on every start so it could be reproduced at the studio.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i can honestly say that since my first car in 1988, ive never had a car that didnt turn over on the first turn of the key. being in Michigan most of those years, ive had plenty of single digit morning temperatures.

even my cheap-o yaris never had a problem. sorry for those of you having this issue. it would be preferable that it happened on every start so it could be reproduced at the studio.
Mine all turned over (except when the batteries were dead) but sometimes they didn't start - even both of my cheapo Yarises. I personally don't find this a problem, and feel somewhat sad for those that live in such perfect worlds that the mere thought of a car not starting first time every time is such a BFD.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Wow, that's amazing. I have the opposite experience (ok not 40 years of driving but plenty) - cars that wouldn't start easy were old pre-fuel injection things...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow, that's amazing. I have the opposite experience (ok not 40 years of driving but plenty) - cars that wouldn't start easy were old pre-fuel injection things...
To each their own - goes for experiences, too. As I say, it doesn't bother me that a car doesn't start first time. Luckily, we're all different, or the world would be a boring place. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I actually spent my first 21 years in Chicago, so plenty of experience in sub-zero temps. Like I said, my car has this issue like many others & you're right, it is warm here most of the time. Yesterday it was 86 degrees & my car didn't start on the first attempt. Temps have nothing to do with it, there is a problem with many of our 500s that is causing it to fail to start. I'm guessing a TSB is probably not too far off once enough of us complain.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts