Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I actually spent my first 21 years in Chicago, so plenty of experience in sub-zero temps. Like I said, my car has this issue like many others & you're right, it is warm here most of the time. Yesterday it was 86 degrees & my car didn't start on the first attempt. Temps have nothing to do with it, there is a problem with many of our 500s that is causing it to fail to start. I'm guessing a TSB is probably not too far off once enough of us complain.
All I'm really trying to say here is that I don't find a car not starting first time each and every time to be a "fault" worth mentioning. Same goes for the glove box occasionally needing to be slammed a little harder than usual, or the rear window always getting washer fluid on it before the blade starts to move. I live with it and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just to wiegh-in. I have the same problem ofte. Maybe once every 10-20 starts it doesn't start. Doesn't matter the weather. It happened in 60 degree weather and 10 degree weather. Im just concerned after the car exits the 50k warranty and something goes haywire with the ignition then we have to foot the bill. I only been to the studio once so far so if it keeps happening i will have them turn the car on and off until it doesnt start.

I drive my fiat 850 miles a week so I will be the guinea (no pun intended) pig for reliability of the 500. I bought my '12 dec 12th with 65 miles. today i have 7300 miles on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I find that there is a delay to start when I turn the key, sometimes about a second. Is the issue that you're turning the key, the starter doesn't fire, so you roll the key back and then turn it to start again? Have you tried just turning and holding the key to see if it starts after a short delay?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I find that there is a delay to start when I turn the key, sometimes about a second. Is the issue that you're turning the key, the starter doesn't fire, so you roll the key back and then turn it to start again? Have you tried just turning and holding the key to see if it starts after a short delay?
No the issue is, you turn the key it sounds as if it's going to start but then just "grinds" basically. If you hold the key it just grinds longer. When you turn the key back, then try again, it starts right up.

Mine was doing it about every 5-6 starts, but now it's more like 10-12. Again, doesn't matter the weather. I'm trying to video record every start with my phone to catch it, but of course on the times I forget it doesn't start. I think theirs a gremlin in the car laughing at me :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
<snip>
Mine was doing it about every 5-6 starts, but now it's more like 10-12. Again, doesn't matter the weather. I'm trying to video record every start with my phone to catch it, but of course on the times I forget it doesn't start. I think theirs a gremlin in the car laughing at me :)
I still think it's not even worth worrying about. Honestly, how often is it a problem in real terms? Are you all get-away drivers, or racers with LeMans-style starts? I think not....:)
So turn the key twice already, and move on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently discovered this problem for my 2012 Sports as well. I only had this car for about a month and it has less than 300 miles under it. Perhaps it's because I don't drive as often since I take local transit to work, but that should not be the reason why a brand new car has this kind of problem. It happened to me twice just today and I am contemplating if a trip to the Service dept. is worth it. I really hope someone from the dealer can look into this problem...it really makes me question the quality of the car now.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I recently discovered this problem for my 2012 Sports as well. I only had this car for about a month and it has less than 300 miles under it. Perhaps it's because I don't drive as often since I take local transit to work, but that should not be the reason why a brand new car has this kind of problem. It happened to me twice just today and I am contemplating if a trip to the Service dept. is worth it. I really hope someone from the dealer can look into this problem...it really makes me question the quality of the car now.

Welcome to the forum, I hope your dealer can help you with your issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I really hope someone from the dealer can look into this problem...it really makes me question the quality of the car now.
Well, you have two choices:

Sell the car and cut your losses or;
Take video of the car if/when it decides to have this problem again, and bring that with you to show the mechanic.

BC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, you have two choices:

Sell the car and cut your losses or;
Take video of the car if/when it decides to have this problem again, and bring that with you to show the mechanic.

BC.
Thanks, Tweak and BC! I definitely will try to remember to get a glimpse of the problem when it decides to happen. I love the car, but am paranoid since this is my first purchase of a brand new car (after retiring my 2001 Civic). I am also not a car expert, which makes me even more paranoid. :) Looking forward to any updates that others in the same boat might have.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Thanks, Tweak and BC! I definitely will try to remember to get a glimpse of the problem when it decides to happen. I love the car, but am paranoid since this is my first purchase of a brand new car (after retiring my 2001 Civic). I am also not a car expert, which makes me even more paranoid. :) Looking forward to any updates that others in the same boat might have.

Being the first new car I can see being more concerned, since it is an issue with many people and in a random way at times it would seem possible the same problem exists but for different reasons. Just hope your dealer quickly resolves it and if they need to keep your dealer will give you a loaner.

·
Registered
746 Posts

BC.
I tried this with my radio freezing up and also not playing the USB connected device - they still claimed it wasn't happening/wasn't the problem of the radio. I had 3 separate videos of it happening. :(

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Im sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction and frustration; let me know what the studio says and PM me if I can be of any assistance. Im here to help any way I can.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you had your P.C.M. flash updated? There has been a few updates for different problems. Also there is a body ground strap on the top of the trans; check that it is tight. Also be sure to change your oil often; the "multi-air" brick uses oil pressure & solenoids to open the intake valves so it needs to build pressure before the engine will start. Also be sure to keep your gas clean!! Had a 500 with contaminated gas that caused the valves to stick & destroyed the multi-air brick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Fiat 500 2012 model is doing this off and on approx 10 times total now. The cold weather isn't an issue for me here in Tucson. It has happened after sitting for 8 hours or just sitting for 30 mins. If I leave the key switched on a little longer I seem to be avoiding the not starting. I took it to the dealer stuido today and was told it was "normal" and that the cam-shaft was hydaluic and needed to charge. The dealer rep indicated they had heard this from people who let their car sit in the garage too long. That is not my case. I drive 70+ miles a day. They checked the oil levels and said it was fine. I am going to have to take a video and have my husband take it back in. Not impressed. Feeling like they don't want to do warranty work. A new car shouldn't be doing this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had this problem too. 2012 manual Abarth. Even had a rental for a few days while the dealer tried to figure it out. I'm in Canada so my car has seen -40 to +90. Seemed to happen more often in warmer weather. The issue I had was the engine would turn over fine but would not start. This issue isn't related to the recall on the starter bolts. Dealer couldn't solve the problem. After some experimenting I noticed if my foot is touching the gas pedal when I turn the key sometimes the car won't start. Now I make sure my foot isn't on the gas and haven't had the starting problem for a couple of months. Before some of you who seem to know everything jump on this, I know how to start a standard, been driving 36 years. Sometimes us old guys forget not leave the gas pedal alone on a fuel injected car. I suspect Fiats may have a throttle position sensor for safety when starting the car. From the other threads in this forum there seem to be three scenarios owners are experiencing 1. Engine turns over fine but won't fire 2. Starter spins but won't engage the flywheel 3. Turn the key and nothing happens at all. By the way, love my car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just had my 2012 500 Sport at the dealer for FOUR DAYS, trying to duplicate this problem. Naturally, they couldn't, or claimed they couldn't, but replaced the starter bolts at Jonathon's urging nevertheless. First day back I experienced this problem (only once), but not again since then (about one week ago). The dealers are baffled by this problem. I did get assurances that IF they could duplicate the problem the starter would be replaced. Alas. Car runs fine otherwise. And I do not have my foot on the throttle when I crank it over.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I had this problem yesterday on my five month old Abarth and was preparing to review this forum for information.

Then I tried again and made SURE the clutch was fully depressed, and it started fine.

I believe that if one is casual in pushing the clutch pedal all the way down while starting, it could appear as an intermittent no-start problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. We are also having this problem with our 2012 Lounge, with an automatic. It's as random as everyone describes and in my ownership of many cars over the decades I've never heard anything like this. This is something unusual, not just the Bendix slipping. The studio people said that Fiat is "working on a solution" but that is too vague for me.

Anybody have any updates from Fiat or their studio?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Resurrecting this as this is about the only problem that I'm noticing with my new to me 2012 Pop. Sometimes the car won't start on the first try, but if I turn it off and on again, fires right up. I'm still trying to figure out if it's user error (i.e. me) since I'm still getting used to the car or if it's something else. I know the manual says to keep the car in neutral when starting, but I get it whether the car is in first or neutral. It's only happened four times and is great other than that. I don't think I'm touching the throttle and the clutch is all the way in, guess I'll take a look at the strap this weekend as well.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts