Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my abarth is alive again! I wanted to make a new thread compiling everything from my previous one and what’s new. I bought my 2012 abarth full knowing that I would need a valve job after pulling the whole top end off of it and breaking my Multi air unit, it made more logical and economical sense to buy an engine and swap it in, I was able to remove the engine and tranny without disconnecting the axles and mess up my alignment by popping out the ball joints at the bottom, removing the bottom frame rails is a must to make it easy, as for the transmission I would have never discovered my slave cylinder was on its way out covering the bell housing with brake fluid, I ordered a new cylinder and installed it, by myself I had to wrestle the tranny to the engine, I had to do it three times, the first time I had no issues until forgot to put in one of the dust shields in and had to take it off for the second time, the third I had put the incorrect sized bolts on the slave cylinder and had to take it off yet again, I was not successful by myself and to say I was frustrated was an understatement (my neighbor down the street heard my light hearted words) I called my dad to come help and we got it together, I assembled all the components and all the plugs that needed to be put in and done to put the engine in, using the engine mount as a pivot, the engine/tranny was able to snap into place like it was intended. From there it was connecting the proper fittings and all the parts I had removed to make it possible. From when I put on the slave cylinder at the beginning of the day, I worked a full straight 13 hours to get it to turn-key condition (no bumper, headlights, wheel well covers) not my smarted decision but hey it’s done. At first the car wouldn’t turn over and I was cranking for an excessive amount, at that point I was too tired and too frustrated to really try to see what went wrong. The next morning I had looked up some issues others were having with their swaps and one guy had it that he needed to swap his wiring harness to make it work, in the condition that somehow the harness and the ecu needed to communicate as if there’s another engine ecu, but it wasn’t the case (thankfully) we decided to try to turn it over again and keep cranking. What had occurred was that the multi air unit and all other components had been derived of all fluids and would not open the valves and have fuel. It finally sputtered to life and I put the little fiats face back together and took it for a spin.
The car is everything I could have wanted!
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions it wouldn’t be possible without you guys!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also I have parts if anyone would be interested in buying, the block is in great shape, the camshaft is in working order, Intake and a painted valve cover, and a turbo with a exhaust header attached

feel free to message me about anything you’d need, there’s a good chance I might have something left over thanks!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Machine tool Gas

· Registered
43 Posts
Kurt, once again thank you so much for sharing. When you pull the head off the old engine, where any valves damaged? Or perhaps a burnt or damage valve. I have a P0304 code on mine. I replaced the plugs and coils (Maxfire coils) and still have the code. Cleared the code with the scan tool and it appeared again. When I replaced the cylinder 4 plug it appeared to be gas fouled. I will check again after running the car for a short distance to determine if the fuel injectors need replacing. (Dumping fuel) If that doesn’t work then I will be pulling the head off. Might have a burnt valve. Not sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.