Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it’s been about 2 months since I swapped my engine after my valves were burnt. The car has been running great and have been having a great time with it but about a week ago, my car has been struggling to build boost consistently. In regular mode it wouldn’t get above 6 psi and in sport mode it would reach 12 psi and then the gauge would flop around like a wet pool noodle. I made myself a boost leak tester. I saw online that I would need to block off the evap line on the intake side (even disconnected it). When I went to build pressure in the system it would end up coming out of the vacuum assembly on the intake, I’ll attach a video of what’s happening. I saw another thread saying that he needed to replace his wastegate from the dealer and am wondering if I need to do the same. Thanks for your help and feedback if you could help!
thanks again Kurt

·
Registered
118 Posts
What year is your car and did you reuse the factory turbo? The 2012 and 13 models are famous for having wastegate flapper (not a technical term but describes it perfect) issues from stock mine blew apart and sent shrapnel into the motor and i had to replace it all around 75000k miles. Also there are videos on youtube of how to fix some of the boostleak issues these cars are known for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is your car and did you reuse the factory turbo? The 2012 and 13 models are famous for having wastegate flapper (not a technical term but describes it perfect) issues from stock mine blew apart and sent shrapnel into the motor and i had to replace it all around 75000k miles. Also there are videos on youtube of how to fix some of the boostleak issues these cars are known for.
Thanks for The reply!
I have a 2012 abarth and I do still have another turbo where I could take the wastegate off of. And it does make sense, I have about 66k miles on mine. I’ll switch out the wastegate then, thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just to clarify Its not the wastegate actuator that attaches to the outsite of the turbo its the actual wastegate mechanism inside the garret turbo from the factory your best bet is to find a turbo from a 2014-2018 it has a completely different waste gate flapper inside that works much better. And i believe they cost about 200 dollars used. I found one on ebay... If you already knew that and were going to swap the wastegate itself then awesome goodluck. And i hope it works out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify Its not the wastegate actuator that attaches to the outsite of the turbo its the actual wastegate mechanism inside the garret turbo from the factory your best bet is to find a turbo from a 2014-2018 it has a completely different waste gate flapper inside that works much better. And i believe they cost about 200 dollars used. I found one on ebay... If you already knew that and were going to swap the wastegate itself then awesome goodluck. And i hope it works out.
Ah I got it, it’s the flapper I. The turbo itself. I do have an extra turbo from my old 2012 engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts