Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which is not to say the new Abarth ad isn’t sexy, but too sexy to be seen on TV? Well, I'll let you be the judge.

Let's look at these ads from the past. Carl's Jr, Go Daddy, Victoria Secret, and Levi. Plus, Pepsi which first pushed the envelope.

Carl's Jr - Paris Hilton: The Abarth ad is mildly titillating compared to this one.

Plus, here's how Carl's Jr CEO responded when the Parents Television Council (PTC) got upset.

"Since May 19, 2005 the ad has run during sports programs, on ABC's "Desperate Housewives" finale Sunday and on the season-ending episodes of Fox's "The O.C." and NBC's "The Apprentice." Carl's Jr.'s message to the PTC: The group needs to "get a life," said Andy Puzder, CEO of Carl's Jr."

And they still put out similar ads today. Example: Kim Kardashian

Go Daddy: all Go Daddy ads are sexy but I think this one is also waaay more over the top than the Abarth ad. Talk about 'foam' issues!

Victoria Secret’s Christmas: Bet your bottom dollar that Santa's coming down the chimney tonight.

Levi's ForePlay - Change Your World: I ask you, how can 'Seduction' be more provocative than "Foreplay' and it's even somewhat about a car!

Lastly, sweet and innocent
Cindy Crawford Pepsi ad:

Considering these ads, don’t you think Fiat would be foolish not to put the new Abarth ad on the air?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
They won't have any issue airing it in Canada. After all we had Subaru's "Sexy Comes Standard" commercials which were very successful here.

Reactions: J L S

·
Registered
112 Posts
They won't have any issue airing it in Canada. After all we had Subaru's "Sexy Comes Standard" commercials which were very successful here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlluDJhXew
LMAO! Holy crap, I want a Subaru now! Does it come with the sexy model?

As to the issue of the Abarth commercial, I don't see why there is an issue. The woman is wearing clothes. And she is supposed to be the embodiment of the Abarth. This commercial is clever and has a point. Sex is interwoven with the commercial, without it, it cannot stand on its own. The other commercials, well, it looks like they just stuck a woman there but there is no point, they are not clever.

My only issue with the Abarth commercial is that it is perpetuating the whole generalization that aggressive is for males and fashionable and cute is for females. But then again, the media, regardless of their enormous impact on the public, is not there to be culturally sensitive or an agent to eliminate hegemonic gender stereotypes.

Ah, whatever, have a great Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think it is too sexy for TV, but then again I'm something of a libertine.

However, the Abarth ad crosses a pretty serious taboo line: bodily fluids. :cool:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

Maybe its just me, but to tell you the truth, I haven't really heard anyone in any position of authority really say that there is anything wrong with the commercial. Unless I've missed something somewhere it really all just seems to be speculation on the part of others.

To tell the truth, right now I wouldn't expect to see this ad, or any other Abarth ad, on TV right now simply because the car won't be ready for sale for a while yet.

As such, maybe its the pessimist in me (or the fact that I was born in Missouri - the Show Me State - and am a bit obstinate) but when I see stuff suggesting that the ad is "too sexy" for TV, sometimes I feel a bit like I'm scanning my junk email file sorting through unsolicited emails for cheap Canadian Meds, get rich quick schemes, and other such sensationalized stuff, trying to get you to click on or open a site that you know that you shouldn't anyway.

In the end then I feel kind of like someone is trying to manipulate me.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the end then I feel kind of like someone is trying to manipulate me.
They are. That's the point of all ads really though. To manipulate people's perception to believe they need or want your product. They don't necessarily just use sex to do it. It's the same thing with every price ending in 99 cents, or cars priced at XX,995. It sounds cheaper than an even hundred or thousand dollar amount even of its only a penny less.

Sales is about manipulation. Everything from perceived value to how people will perceive you if buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Which is not to say the new Abarth ad isn’t sexy, but too sexy to be seen on TV? Well, I'll let you be the judge. Abarth ad

Considering these ads, don’t you think Fiat would be foolish not to put the new Abarth ad on the air?
Question #1 : Do you think this ad will run on American TV?
Answer: No.

Question #2: Don’t you think Fiat would be foolish not to put the new Abarth ad on the air?
Answer: Yes.

Without getting too much into politics, there are certain conventions for sexy ads that the Italian ad does not follow.

Try visiting a Victoria's secret store with your wife or girlfriend. It's really not arousing at all. It's a fantasy for what women think might be arousing to men that convinces women to buy. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

They are. That's the point of all ads really though. To manipulate people's perception to believe they need or want your product. They don't necessarily just use sex to do it. It's the same thing with every price ending in 99 cents, or cars priced at XX,995. It sounds cheaper than an even hundred or thousand dollar amount even of its only a penny less.

Sales is about manipulation. Everything from perceived value to how people will perceive you if buy it.
Hi,

I guess the issue to me is that its not manipulated in a good way. Although I enjoy the commercial, between the fact that the commercial is a bit light on substance (all flash but little detail), and the fact that statements like 'too sexy for tv" kind of makes me feel like someone is to con me into visiting a questionable website, in the end there is just this little nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I'm kind of being treated like a mindless doofus and not really being treated with respect.

Regards

Pat

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Question #1 : Do you think this ad will run on American TV?
Answer: No.

I don't see why NOT. I've seen far more sexually suggestive ads on TV lately and for the life of me, wondered 'how did THAT make it on TV?' :eek: the Abarth commercial is tame compared to some........

Question #2: Don’t you think Fiat would be foolish not to put the new Abarth ad on the air?
Answer: Yes.

again, I disagee. it could help repair the damage done to those who were so upset with the J-Lo commericals that they were ready to trade in their vehicles. can't see the reasoning there, but if you were to listen to them, they are in the majority. me, not so much. I actually LIKED the J-Lo commercials. :p

just wanted to add MY two cents worth. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
<Sigh> I wish they'd have an ad where, oh, I don't know, they drive the car around a little, show it from all sides, maybe an interior shot or two, then pop up the name of the car, the MSRP, and the address of the local FIAT dealers.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think those ads are brilliant, and perfect for FIAT. And I think they should run them in NA in Italian. I'm not afraid of sex, or the suggestion of it; I'm quite fond of it, to tell the truth. No doubt Tea Party America would have a problem with them. I just don't understand why they are more afraid of sex than guns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

I guess the issue to me is that its not manipulated in a good way. Although I enjoy the commercial, between the fact that the commercial is a bit light on substance (all flash but little detail), and the fact that statements like 'too sexy for tv" kind of makes me feel like someone is to con me into visiting a questionable website, in the end there is just this little nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I'm kind of being treated like a mindless doofus and not really being treated with respect.

Regards

Pat
That's fair. GoDaddy does the same thing with their "Banned from the super bowl" commercials.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

That's fair. GoDaddy does the same thing with their "Banned from the super bowl" commercials.
Its funny that you mention GoDaddy. Awhile ago when I was looking for an inexpensive place to host a personal website, as I searched the internet I kept coming across links and references to GoDaddy, but their ads annoyed me so much, that I kept looking til I found another company whose prices were reasonably close enough instead. I eventually went with a company called InMotion Hosting. :)

Pat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts