Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long-time lurker, thank you to all the forum members that contribute as I’ve fixed many common issues and am now on my 2nd Abarth.

Hoping to find the solution to an issue with the roof. The convertible roof was working perfectly well until I had a long box (projector screen) that sat in the passenger footwell and lent on it while the roof was fully retracted. I briefly (1 second) pressed the roof close button while the box was leaning on the driver-side corner of the roof.

Since then it now only opens to the 3/4 mark, the roof goes through the motions and rear glass goes down but then the roof mechanism stops. Perhaps foolishly I’ve lightly pulled down on all the roof fold sections and they move freely and rest where they should do if the roof fully retracted. However the front section of the top remains stubbornly stuck, it feels like it is jammed on something and I didn’t want to force it.

The roof is still able to fully close so I’m wondering if there is a fix to this without replacing the roof. I’ve tried the roof reset but the roof stops in the halfway open position despite holding the open button down. I have to release and press again to have it move.

Anyone with a similar experience or any ideas?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Quick update here. Have been scouring the web for people with a similar problem in hope of finding info on fixing this roof. I began thinking that a full roof replacement may be the only way forward. This is obviously an annoying and expensive solution when compared to the current value of the car ($9k or so). Sadly there's not much out there for reference but one video by Larry Gene (youtu.be/SV-MbF1IPRs) inspired me to search a few scrap yards online to see if I could find some answers.

By chance I found a Fiat 500 and Fiat 500c here in Los Angeles at lkqpickyourpart.com with the roof half ripped apart and the roof motor removed. I spent some time looking at the rails, trim and overall roof mechanism to understand how it functioned. The roof mechanism on the scrap car was jammed in a few spots but I was able to free the sledges up with a bit of force and manually operate it to see the full motion without the fabric roof obstructing the view. Thankfully the scrap car served as a zero risk practice dummy as one of the hook pins on the sledge snapped off with very little effort. I'm fairly sure I would have wrecked mine if I hadn't been able to see and test the fragility of the parts beforehand.

I filmed a few short clips of the mechanism moving through the area of the rails my roof was stuck for reference. Once back with my Abarth I pulled the trim away and used a small flathead screwdriver to gently release what looked like a lock/release mechanism on the sled at the point it seemed to be stuck on when retracting. I closed the roof and re-opened it and it opened all the way down! I activated the roof reset mode just to make sure but all was well and it did the full roof reset party trick. Massive sigh of relief!

I hope this info goes some way to helping anyone with a similar stuck roof avoid a full roof replacement.

Fiat 500c roof mechanism video

1 - 2 of 2 Posts