Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a dealership here that abarth will releasing turbo and super charger kits for our 500 for those of us who won't be buying an abarth.. Has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was told by a dealership here that abarth will releasing turbo and super charger kits for our 500 for those of us who won't be buying an abarth.. Has anyone else heard this?
Personally......i think it's better to save your money to buy a Abarth than try to make an Abarth with your's 500!!

(Like people that try to make a SRT-4 with a standard Caliber or Neon)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a 500 so I'm not buying an abarth. The chasis is the same and from
What i heard the abarth may not even get a proper manual transmission and I don't really like the abarth wheels so I'd change those anyways.

Basically I love my 500 and i like the idea of a little more power.

The difference with the caliber and neon is they were shitty cars in any form.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The difference with the caliber and neon is they were shitty cars in any form.
Scuse me but the engine of a Neon SRt-4 it's a bullet proof.The only thing that i had trouble it's some seal and bushing.....no engine trouble and this car develop many HP....

My Caliber SRT-4 make 319whp and it's a good car for daily drive same for my old Neon SRt-4.....ok it's not a Mercedes or BMW...and the interior feel "plastic".But for 25.000$$ i didn't know other car can give me this power!!!

P.S.The US version of the abarth can have a new transmission....like the 500!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The chasis is the same
Ok but your engine are not build to support a turbo....ok you can put a turbo on it but how many PSi the engine will support??

But if you put a turbo on your car it's your choice and i will be the first to check your project!!:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
In order to have an Abarth, you'd need to change the suspension, transmission, brakes and engine, right?

Soundsa bit expensive to me... although I'd be very happy with a small low pressure turbo and 30 extra HP. I'd stop dreaming about an Abarth, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok but your engine are not build to support a turbo....ok you can put a turbo on it but how many PSi the engine will support??

But if you put a turbo on your car it's your choice and i will be the first to check your project!!:)
The abarth north America is getting is the same engine just turboed. Even if the engine mounts aren't as beefy that's a pretty easy inexpensive mod.
And the tranny in the abarth will most likely be something different compared to the euro version.

Yes the caliber can be tuned to be fast in a straight line but it handles horribly!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In order to have an Abarth, you'd need to change the suspension, transmission, brakes and engine, right?

Soundsa bit expensive to me... although I'd be very happy with a small low pressure turbo and 30 extra HP. I'd stop dreaming about an Abarth, that's for sure!
The Euro abarth shares the same tranny , engine and even brakes. The main difference is the abarth is super/ turbo charged.

I just finished my first road trip to the rocky mountains here in Alberta and it handles very well and I also agree that I'd be happy with 30 more hp. If the super charger becomes available here that's what id most likely do

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I've read so far, the US Abarth will come with 170hp (think esseesse) in order to compete with the Mini Cooper S. Also, considering the US version of the 500 was tweaked for better road handling and comfort (think 500 Sport) I believe Fiat is going to make sure the suspension is adjusted since that was the main gripe from car reviewers on all previous Abarth models. Most Abarth buyers will probably do aftermarket suspensions anyway. I for one plan on getting the Abarth when it become available and I am hoping the car is already perfect in it's delivered form. Fiat has a lot riding on this introduction and Mini will pounce on any negative reviews or feedback so I would think Fiat is giving this US model the same attention and consideration the other US Fiat models received.

Also, if they do have a bolt on for the reg 500 then that would also be smart for business, in order to keep the previous buyers happy with factory warranty parts. No need to void your warranty with the upgrades and they keep the tuning in-house, like Mini did when they acquired John Cooper Works.

Anyhow, that's my take on it. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Euro abarth shares the same tranny , engine and even brakes. The main difference is the abarth is super/ turbo charged.

I just finished my first road trip to the rocky mountains here in Alberta and it handles very well and I also agree that I'd be happy with 30 more hp. If the super charger becomes available here that's what id most likely do
I didn't know that. And I agree, if MoPar ever gets a S/C, I'd get that instead of buying an Abarth. I just love my car.

Well, I'd probably get a couple of scorpion stickers, too!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think the real question is one of price. For a reasonable sum, sure I'd super/turbo what i have. But if the upgrade cost is insane (as I fear it will be) than it becomes much less attractive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts