Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my forth test drive of a 500 sport (manual) and loved it.

Every time I leave the dealer I politely say I'm very interested in the car, but I'm waiting for more information on the Abarth model before I decide to purchase. The salesman always agrees that it's going to be a cool car, and understands my reason for waiting.

BUT today they told me something different I haven't heard or read anywhere before...

He said that his dealer (Fields Fiat in Highland Park, IL) will only be getting 18 Abarth models, and that 11 of them have deposits on them already. He also said that Fiat will only be making 3,900 of them... TOTAL... for the entire country. AND that they will only be offered in limited colors, "2 or 3" he said. Then he followed that up saying it will be "around $30,000," and that the people who put down their deposits will have no say in the colors or options they end up with.

This is all crazy information to me. From the limited numbers to the price are all major turn offs. I'm sure it's going to be a great car, but $30k is ridiculous. And limiting exterior colors vs the EU model on a car they market as so customizable seems strange as well. I'd imagine they'd limit our interior options as well... If this is true.

I know everything Abarth is all conjecture at this point, but it was from the sales manager of a large Fiat dealer, which should be a very reputable source. Could he have been trying to pressure me into putting down a deposit? Or maybe the Abarth will launch with a limited edition like the Primas, which may be cause for the higher price? Then will normal Abarth come in 2014 or will it be all over after the 3,900 are sold?

I want some OFFICIAL answers, FIAT!
I want the car, and am getting antsy waiting for it!

Anybody else hear anything similar to this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
It sounds, to me, as if your dealer is trying to sell you a Sport right now.

I have no hard data, but considering the fact that the Abarth is going head to head against the Cooper S, I see no reason why Fiat would want to artificially limit supply. It's not as if it's an exotic, anyway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can only think one reason why that pricing is wrong.

We have basically the same prices as you guys do in the States.

Alfa Romeo just started selling their cars around here. The turbo MiTo costs around $30K.

NO way FIAT will price the Abarth at exactly the same level as the turbo MiTo...

·
Registered
211 Posts
im sure the 30k price was with their mark up in mind... im guessing 22-24k msrp. and limited #'s, of course. they wont be making 20k of them. 4k seems about right...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've heard the rumors about the Abarth being a "limited production" car. To me, this makes little sense.

For example, are they planning on it being able to stomp (not equal, not 'edge') a MINI S? If not, don't sell for more than an "S" or limit the number.

or

They can indeed limit it to 'x' amount of cars and charge what they want; However, I assume they are in business to make money. I'm waiting for the Abarth as are a LOT of others. The regular 500 doesn't interest me. They can charge what they want but they are NOT selling Ferarri, or Porsche, or Pagani.They 're selling a niche, boutique, economy car / hot hatchback. AND it's a brand that is not exactly (if at all) remembered fondly here. So, they can charge what they want and restrict as they wish. If so, I will collect my deposit and go elsewhere.... for that kind of money, there are some GREAT choices!

I actually expect them to sell the Abarth as a normal FIAT model, in the low 20's with a LOT of optional extras to maximize their profit potential. I assume they want to make money and they are already having to fight the Chrysler dealer (treat the customer, shall we say, "poorly") culture.

We'll see.....

"Careful Icarus..."

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems once it is configured in a way that I and probably many others it will most likely near or exceed the 30K point I imagine.
As long as it is the way YOU want it, enjoy. I do expect that ones that are ordered by the dealer w/o being preordered will be ordered with every possible option.... at least to start. Homey don't play that... I've had my deposit down since March and I will order it my way, not theirs:D

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
As long as it is the way YOU want it, enjoy. I do expect that ones that are ordered by the dealer w/o being preordered will be ordered with every possible option.... at least to start. Homey don't play that... I've had my deposit down since March and I will order it my way, not theirs:D

Been meaning to ask you where you are since your statement under the avatar says you know better roads than the tail and are less than two hours away.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I agree.....I think the dealer is trying to convince you to get a Sport NOW. you know the old saying 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'. while he would LOVE to sell you an Abarth, unless you're willing to plop down the deposit NOW, he'll be more than happy to put you in a new Sport. :rolleyes:

as for the price, I still stand with my original 'guesstimate' at $26K for the Abarth whenever they're released. :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Seems once it is configured in a way that I and probably many others it will most likely near or exceed the 30K point I imagine.
I agree, I can see mine costing upwards of 30K after options.

If they're talking a 30K vanilla price, I'll just hold on to the 500C (if I ever get it) and wait for the cost to purchase drop below MSRP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FIAT is saying about 8000 vehicles per year for NA market. They might be only getting 18 in but I doubt that that is a years allotment.

I remember that story when they were selling the 500 in April...now they have 140 on the lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dealer told me about 3 months ago that to purchase an Abarth, you must be a Fiat owner already. Don't believe it (this isn't a Ferrari!), but expect to hear a lot of this in the absence of official information from the factory.

To those that have deposits, how exactly does that work in terms of pricing and options/colors? Is the agreement that you can purchase at MSRP when they come out? Do you have to take dealer stock or can you order the car you want?

Now that I've had my sport for a couple months, and am mostly happy with it, I'm seriously considering a deposit on an Abarth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dont freak out people! The Abarth will be here mid-year next year....and it wont be a $30k starting price! We all want to have you driving a Fiat now...and then trade it in on an Abarth! :)

Get ready to see some very cool Fiat advertising...sales are going to rocket and we wont look back!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'd be surprised if the Abarth is more than a fully loaded 500C lounge.

even if they are only making 3900, that's 80 per state. Nevermind that some states will probably not even get a single one (Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana.......)

There will be plenty. My Mazdaspeed 3 was to be produced in a limited run of 5000, but I had my choice of colors, options, and where I wanted to buy it. I'd suspect the Mazdaspeed 3 to have more of a buyers market than the Abarth.

Also, my Mazdaspeed 3 was 24k. A fully loaded Mazda 3 grand touring with GPS was 27k.

·
Registered
211 Posts
after the first rush of people payin 5k over msrp, you will be able to order on up by next spring for msrp....i expect to see 4-5 thousand of them come here....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Been meaning to ask you where you are since your statement under the avatar says you know better roads than the tail and are less than two hours away.
Yep, we live between Asheville and Hendersonville in Western NC. I know MANY better roads and none of them are swarmed by the Tennessee Highway Patrol like the Dragon:D.

The reason I'm waiting for a MANUAL equipped Abarth is it is the perfect size to run some of these secondary roads w/o going so fast I end up down a mountainside.... I had an R32 (6-spd manual) that was just SO quick and sounded SO good that I finally decided it was going to have to go or it was going to kill me :eek:. It was an amazing car. I need something with the same thrill factor at about 2/3's the speed:D. The Abarth fulfills that and throws in exclusivity (especially here in pickup country).

This is a GREAT place to live and little to no traffic. We have an automatic Lexus but that's just for trips. The Abarth (and the MINI S) are for fun!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Limited production would make sense if the Fiat were coming from Italy but it will be made in the same Mexican factory as the current crop. I suspect there will be plenty of Abarths for erveryone with pricing ranging from $24K-30K for a full blown cabrio.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My dealer told me about 3 months ago that to purchase an Abarth, you must be a Fiat owner already. Don't believe it (this isn't a Ferrari!), but expect to hear a lot of this in the absence of official information from the factory.

To those that have deposits, how exactly does that work in terms of pricing and options/colors? Is the agreement that you can purchase at MSRP when they come out? Do you have to take dealer stock or can you order the car you want?

Now that I've had my sport for a couple months, and am mostly happy with it, I'm seriously considering a deposit on an Abarth.
The deposit is worked out between you and the dealer. I ordered an Abarth back in March before the "studio" officially opened, gave a $500 deposit and wrote a contract specifying MSRP+transportation, what markups were allowed (none), and even the max price for "document/advertising" fees. The draft contract went back and forth several times between the general manager and myself before we both were happy. It is signed by myself, the general manager, and a couple of witnesses. By contract, I have the 2nd Abarth allotted to my dealer and will order with the options I want, and the stipulations listed above.

Without any protection except a deposit, you are opening yourself up to whatever ADM they think they can get away with....and remember, these are Chrysler dealers and never met a markup they didn't like.

I'm trying to make it as painless as possible, considering it's a new model that "may" be in somewhat high demand, at least to start.

Of course, they will have had my deposit over a year and I am really learning the true meaning of "delayed gratification".... (It Sucks) :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts