Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been lurking here for a while and I decided to finally register because I saw an Abarth on the way to work Friday morning!

Sorry for the bad pics, but I was driving.

The side badges were removed, but you could still see the outline of the adhesive. It had the Abarth badges on the front and back.

It had the dual exhaust, spoiler, and the 17 inch Hyper Black wheels (which are really more titanium than black)

This one had the cloth interior and a guy with a clipboard driving...and sensors on the roof...and Michigan plates.

I hope they start delivering to the dealers soon!

Reactions: Abarth01

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Looks like my car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good job spotting and getting photos!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Awesome! I remember the first 500 I saw on the road. It was a Rosso Sport, and I saw it one day before I picked mine up from the dealership. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
And you base that statement on what?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
clearly an Abarth badge

·
Registered
317 Posts
500 sport with a Abarth badge added on? You can easily purchased these from the UK and 500 part dealers in the states.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
500 sport with a Abarth badge added on? You can easily purchased these from the UK and 500 part dealers in the states.
Yes and Abarth seats were added for looks too. What's with everyone's skepticism? The front looks right and the back looks heavy. Could it be that he has, dare I say it, cargo?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can certainly purchase badges and what not. What you can not openly purchase is a Michigan "Manufacturer" license plate which is what is attached to this vehicle. The plate reads: "031 M 756" The "M" denotes it as a manufacturer plate. What you can read is also the word "Manufacturer" along the middle of the plate along the bottom. Here is a photo of a U.S. Abarth in testing that was taken in Michigan:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive exterior

Here is the photo of the vehicle taken at the In-N-Out:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Mode of transport Vehicle door Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Automotive lighting

If you agree that the plate on the photos above read: "034 M 157" then its IMHO a Michigan Manufacturer plate and likely an Abarth. It looks to have the word, "MANUFACTURER" along the bottom middle section but I say that only because the length of the word not that I can actually read it.

Now starting with that as a basis to begin with, one would have to ask, "Why would the manufacturer put Abarth badges front and rear, rear Abarth bumper with diffuser, rear Abarth exhaust tips on a regular 500? Answer, they would not. If not, oh well it was fun working through this anyway.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You can certainly purchase badges and what not. What you can not openly purchase is a Michigan "Manufacturer" license plate which is what is attached to this vehicle. The plate reads: "031 M 756" The "M" denotes it as a manufacturer plate. What you can read is also the word "Manufacturer" along the middle of the plate along the bottom. Here is a photo of a U.S. Abarth in testing that was taken in Michigan:

View attachment 1820

Here is the photo of the vehicle taken at the In-N-Out:

View attachment 1821 View attachment 1822 View attachment 1823

If you agree that the plate on the photos above read: "034 M 157" then its IMHO a Michigan Manufacturer plate and likely an Abarth. It looks to have the word, "MANUFACTURER" along the bottom middle section but I say that only because the length of the word not that I can actually read it.

Now starting with that as a basis to begin with, one would have to ask, "Why would the manufacturer put Abarth badges front and rear, rear Abarth bumper with diffuser, rear Abarth exhaust tips on a regular 500? Answer, they would not. If not, oh well it was fun working through this anyway.
The manufacture plate with the M in the middle was my next weapon of choice, well played.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was definitely a Manufacturer car. I see them on this road all the time. Most cars are more camouflaged than this one, but this is so close to release that they only removed the side badges.

The pictures don't show it, but the way I first noticed the car was the Abarth front bumper with the nostrils.

As for it being a modified sport, I don't think anyone is really into the sensors on the roof mod...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm glad you clarified that it was an Abarth front fascia with nostrils. That is yet another fact that adds to the assessment this was indeed an Abarth being tested.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I see dual exhaust exactly like the duals I've seen on other Abarths on video. Legit!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They did do all that. They also stuck in neato seats, a boost gauge, stiffer shocks/springs and a turbo. :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I'm glad you clarified that it was an Abarth front fascia with nostrils. That is yet another fact that adds to the assessment this was indeed an Abarth being tested.
side skirts are Abarth too. slightly higher behind the doors than the Sports. definitely Abarth!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
note he said it had Michigan plates. all of the initial 500's delivered to the Studios were plated in Michigan and delivered with the plates on them. I know.....the gray Sport that was delivered to our Studio was around for some time. those cars belonged to Chrysler/Fiat and not the dealers. from what I've read about the first Abarths, they're all for 'show' and test drives, not to be sold. only a sales tool for those that want to place an order. the Michigan plates makes sense.

the one in the pic probably belongs to the FIAT Studio in LA, as its a 'company owned' Studio and they seem to always get the first of everything.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.